Holding calls and AU

AU Ivory_dealer

It was the first game for all teams and all over referees were pulling yellow flags by play number two everywhere in college football. It's their first day and they are rusty as the teams. But it seems like everytime Auburn gets close to the redzone on one of their usual quick trips to the redzone, it happens. when things are rolling we always get that dreaded call. Do the refs feel more prone to throw the flags on the hurry up side? We get our share of help with the sub infractions and 12 men on the field calls. But it seems like a guard or tackle get the same trash holding call one or two almost perfect drives a game. I kinda don't like to hear or see coaches bad mouth refs in games or press conf. but Gus and Rhett sure don't hold back! Gotta love the honesty. Just a thought but refs gotta keep it close right?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have heard that the coaches agreed that we were actually holding on all the calls except one. That was the long pass and touchdown to Recardo Lewis. In my opinion that was a terrible call and it should never have been made. Our offensive lineman tripped with help from the Louisville player and fell down on his back and left side. The Louisville player tried to get around him and tripped over him. The AU player did not grab him and try to pull him down nor did he attempt to trip him as he fell. Should have never been called. Which conference provided the officials. Did not look like an SEC crew.

JW Shewmake

I have heard that the coaches agreed that we were actually holding on all the calls except one. That was the long pass and touchdown to Recardo Lewis. In my opinion that was a terrible call and it should never have been made. Our offensive lineman tripped with help from the Louisville player and fell down on his back and left side. The Louisville player tried to get around him and tripped over him. The AU player did not grab him and try to pull him down nor did he attempt to trip him as he fell. Should have never been called. Which conference provided the officials. Did not look like an SEC crew.

JW Shewmake

I missed one other, but I thought most were legit. That one was awful. Totally blown.

When he tripped he held....I didn't have a problem with the calls on us, I had a problem with them missing the same calls on them

Shon Coleman's hold on Peyton Barber's run was completely unecessary. Barber was already past to the line.

This stuff needs to stop. Certainly there are situations where it is better to hold, but intentionally holding when it can be avoided is a desparation play. It is the job of the QB to get rid of the ball if under pressure, to get rid of the ball within a certain amount of time, and to protect the ball if sacked. It is the job of the team to make the 3rd and 18 after the sack, as much as the 2nd and 28 after the hold.

The OL needs to do their job and let the QBs and RBs do their job.

When he tripped he held....I didn't have a problem with the calls on us, I had a problem with them missing the same calls on them

This is why most people have issues with the calls because there were some blatant no calls that did impact the outcome of the play. There is holding on every play, or you could call it. Did it impact the play? Guess I need to go watch the replay. Last time I checked all of this is in the past. Please someone tell me this wasn't an SEC crew because they were horrible tons of stuff you didn't see on TV

JW Shewmake

He had a handful of jersey when he fell. That's an easy call.

I do agree with Cole that it wasn't called both ways though.

I don't know the specifics of the rules regarding tangled legs, but Braden said he held. To me, because of the motion of the defender, it looked like a hold. That is what the official likely saw. I do not believe holding calls are reviewable.

Malzahn screwed up and got an additional penalty called on the team.

Regardless, sometimes there will be questionable calls that go against you. Your job is to buck up and deal with the situation.

Ref's are not trying to keep it even, they call what they see that effects the play. Some holds are not called because they are away from the play and do not effect the ability to make a play on the ball carrier.

CRL said that of the 5 hold calls, we held 4 of them. Can't argue that point.

On the Braden call on the touchdown pass, his on lineman (RT, Young I believe) stepped on Braden's right foot and as he went down, he had jersey of the DL who was rushing and pulled downward (because of the hold) and might could have made a play on the QB (or at least disrupted the throw) - thus the call.

On the Shon Coleman hold at the end, I do believe Shon was going for an inside technique and his left hand slipped up onto the outside shoulder pad of the defense end, which was obvious and had mild restriction as Barber went by, thus the call.

I don't remember the other ones as well. But I do agree with earlier posts that I find it hard to believe UL did not have some missed hold calls as well. And I think that is what had Gus so upset, we get a few tight calls and they get away with more obvious calls.

First game, we will be better. And these were not SEC ref (B1G if I recall correctly).

As Rhett stated, and I agree, all but one of the holding calls on AU in this game were legit. (I think he said 4 out 5 in his post game presser?) The other call, that brought back an important run but should not have been called IMO and apparently Lashlee's, WAS a hold but it was behind the play - after the runner was well past the potential tackler.

As Rhett stated, and I agree, all but one of the holding calls on AU in this game were legit. (I think he said 4 out 5 in his post game presser?) The other call, that brought back an important run but should not have been called IMO and apparently Lashlee's, WAS a hold but it was behind the play - after the runner was well past the potential tackler.

So be it I then call BS on Gus getting a flag for cussing....because he surely wasn't holding back.

So be it I then call BS on Gus getting a flag for cussing....because he surely wasn't holding back.

so much for the fiddlesticks persona.

Did anyone check to count how many holds the AU OL got away with? The refs don't usually get them all do they?

Gus didn't get that flag that was thrown on the bench. It was Grimes that was flagged for Unsportsmanlike conduct.

Gus didn't get that flag that was thrown on the bench. It was Grimes that was flagged for Unsportsmanlike conduct.

That makes sense...it was his guys who were getting flagged.

They were not SEC officials. I felt that they got away with some holding calls for sure. (Louisville ) I will never agree with an infraction being called behind the play. JMO

I found it amusing early in the game that the Louisville lineman was on our defensive players back riding him to the QB. No call!

I found it amusing early in the game that the Louisville lineman was on our defensive players back riding him to the QB. No call!

^^^^^^ multiple occasions

at least twice on 95

just an observation but if the big refs are anything like the osu fans i have met on boards then they might not have called a fair game. the big folks are so sick of what they call sec bias i would not be surprised. for the record this is my opinion only.

My problem is that you could call it every play but it seems to be on very crucial plays that will dictate the flow of the game. No I don't believe the refs are purposely calling the game in the name of controlling the outcome. I do believe that the refs are selective at times. Just seems we catch the blunt of this type of holding situation.

Daniel A. Moore has practically made a few paintings that feature some of UAs greatest holding calls

Holding Calls plaqued us all last year and they started in abundance this year. With this much talent on the line I'm amazed that it's continuing to occur.

Holding Calls plaqued us all last year and they started in abundance this year. With this much talent on the line I'm amazed that it's continuing to occur.

Undisciplined and been that way for a while on this team.

Gus wasn't the coach that cussed. The officiating was terrible by the way!

Undisciplined and been that way for a while on this team.

Maybe last year but I wouldn't say that about this game at all. After watching the game on replay to focus on both line plays, the holding calls were in the legit but marginal category. On a couple of them you had to replay it over again just see what "could" be called a hold. On the one on Smith, he got tripped and stuck out an arm as a reaction to falling as he tried to stop the DT from breaking on JJ. The DT then tripped over Smith. I didn't see anything undisciplined.

Meanwhile, as others pointed out, the same refs watched the Louisville OL get beat, time and time again, then blatantly hold from behind by grabbing a shoulder or neck and just hanging on. I counted 7 like that, 2 against Russell, 3 against Adams and 2 against Lawson, before I just got tired of counting. Yet zero holding calls on Louisville all game long. Here is one example and I remember this play from replay. The O lineman also had hold of the pads with his left hand, behind Lawson's neck.

3847245.jpg

An additional hold not called and probably the most wide open example was perpetuated against Adams when he caused the fumble and Garrett got the TD. After seeing things like that (shown below), then watching his own guys get some marginal calls at very critical times, no wonder Grimes went off.

3845873.jpg

Archived