A Question for those "in the know"

DivisionN

Great work AUEngineer2016. I need more of this in the future but I don't want you to become AUEngineer2017 as a consequence.

Maybe Duke was to run an out as a legal pick route to free up the outside receiver. We will never know.

Nice diagram and explanation.

My personal observation on the matter is that Duke was indeed supposed to run the corner route, and the outside receiver was going to step back behind the line and fake a pop pass/screen.

This would have pulled the corner up, playing man to man, and cleared that zone for Duke. Duke's defender was playing him to the inside (as he should in man to man), so Duke would have had an easy path beating him to the corner.

Also, if you take a look at the video of Rhett talking to JJ, you'll see his left hand suggest a corner route, and his right hand coming back as if to suggest the pop pass/screen route.

Btw, I am NOT in the know. This is just my personal observation only.

Here is the play in question. Notice that Louisville is in man coverage with a single safety over the top (i.e. Cover 1) out of a 3-3-5 defensive front. At the beginning of the play, the middle and weak side linebackers both come on a blitz, while the strong side drops back into a flat zone (likely spying Johnson in case he tried to scramble). This defense leaves corners on an island, requiring them to cover a reciever with little to no help over the top, and is vulnerable to deep passes on the outside as well as quick hitches. Throwing over the middle is dangerous because there are 3 defenders who can make the play: the corner covering the reciever, the safety coming in to help over the top, and the strong side linebacker jumping the pass underneath. In this case, the throw works out, as none of the 3 are able to make the play, but something like a corner or an out route would have been a much less risky pass.

RMbHj8.gif

I will post a diagram later of the play.

After the play, here is Gus talking to Rhett. Unfortunately, we can't see Gus's mouth, so we don't know what he said, but Rhett appears to say something to the effect of "I don't know, I didn't call that":

fA9Sso.gif

Before Johnson gets to the sidelines, Rhett appears to be talking to Gus about what he is going to talk to Johnson about:

ekE5iK.gif

And we see that when Lashlee does talk to Johnson, he uses the same motions he was when talking to Gus. Looking at Rhett's motions while talking to JJ after the TD, it's pretty clear that Rhett is informing him why Duke was supposed to be running a corner route on the play.

jZLqtw.gif

I think Malzqhn is giving Rhett the location of the closest Waffle House and he is angry because they are out of waffles. Rhett responds by saying he doesn't know why Waffle House is out of waffles, ask Garner why Waffle House is out of waffles and Rhett is asking Johnson why is Waffle House out of waffles, and Johnson is thinking wtf, I need to order some waffles to go at half time. Rhett tells Johnson to go straight then take a right to get to the nearest Waffle House.

Now that's what I'm looking for. Someone IN THE KNOW!

Does JJ have the freedom to even call an audible? I am pretty sure every audible comes from the sideline

An audible? I don't think so. What JJ has on every passing play is multiple options. JJ has to learn to recognize the coverages (even when they're being disguised pre-snap by a wily defensive coordinator) and select the right option for what to do with the ball.

There have been a couple of really nice breakdowns of some of JJ's issues in the first game that I've seen, one at College and Magnolia and one for the first interception right here at AU Family, and at least on the first interception, both make a pretty good case that JJ misread a disguised coverage. I think JJ will learn from game one and select a better option next time around.

Nice analysis, but I think I have a better idea.

RMbHj8.gif

Not much to say here, other than it looked like a good throw for the route that was run. It was too quick for the LB to get over and cover and low enough so that there wasn't a threat of a tipped ball to the safties in the background.

Here's where it gets interesting.

fA9Sso.gif

Based on the rest of the conversations we are about to see in the GIFs, I believe Gus is telling Rhett that he thinks Jeremy needs to go to the potty. To which Rhett replies, "I don't know, what hall is that?"

ekE5iK.gif

Here we can see Rhett going over the directions to the bathroom with Gus so Jeremy takes the hurry up route, with Coach Pearl photobombing in the backgroud for effect.

jZLqtw.gif

And finally Rhett says, "Go straight back, don't take the first hall, it will slow you down, wait for the second hall and make a hard right and you'll see it."

maybe JJ just likes to throw into triple coverage...much more of a challenge than hitting a RB swinging out of the backfield with an open field in front to him.

At least on the play in question both JJ and Duke were on the same page....even it they might have been reading the wrong book.

Archived