Just how bad is Texas football?

gr82b4au

All these problems will just open the bank doors even wider for the next coach. It will make it almost impossible for any coach to turn down, whether it be saban, Malzahn or any other top name coach. A lot of schools should worry if strong is fired.

That could be true but some might wonder....if Charlie Strong can't fix things....is that really a good job to take?

All these problems will just open the bank doors even wider for the next coach. It will make it almost impossible for any coach to turn down, whether it be saban, Malzahn or any other top name coach. A lot of schools should worry if strong is fired.

I'm not so sure - rumor is they backed up the Brinks truck at Saban's front door and pay him +10mm/yr, agreed to pay off this poor real estate investments, and to give him royalties to a ton of oil wells, etc. And they still got turned down by Saban and a few other coaches before they finally got a yes from Strong. If unGodly money is all it takes for UT to get a top coach, then they would have one today.

Chad Morris to replace Charlie Strong at Texas?

He just took the SMU job not that long ago.....can't see him jumping ship already...and realize that the problems at Texas are much bigger than just the HC job.

Totally disagree imo Chad would leave in a New York second if UT came calling even if he did grad. from TX. A&M

Chad Morris to replace Charlie Strong at Texas?

He just took the SMU job not that long ago.....can't see him jumping ship already...and realize that the problems at Texas are much bigger than just the HC job.

Totally disagree imo Chad would leave in a New York second if UT came calling even if he did grad. from TX. A&M

You are probably correct...but I keep looking for principle and ethics among the college football world.....though I'm frequently disappointed in what I see.

Morris has a 4 year deal at SMU...but then again, he had a six year deal at Clemson and left before the first year of the renewed contract was over.

The win/loss record at Texas is hard to comprehend. Even if the entire athletic dept. is a dumpster fire, they have recruited enough top football talent to win most of their games. I do love seeing this but the "why" is very hard to understand.

Actually their recruiting has fallen off quite a bit the last few years. They just don't have the players to compete

I'm not so sure - rumor is they backed up the Brinks truck at Saban's front door and pay him +10mm/yr, agreed to pay off this poor real estate investments, and to give him royalties to a ton of oil wells, etc. And they still got turned down by Saban and a few other coaches before they finally got a yes from Strong. If unGodly money is all it takes for UT to get a top coach, then they would have one today.

Mack Brown torpedoed that one. Texas wouldn't fire him and he wouldn't step down until after Saban had signed an extension

The win/loss record at Texas is hard to comprehend. Even if the entire athletic dept. is a dumpster fire, they have recruited enough top football talent to win most of their games. I do love seeing this but the "why" is very hard to understand.

Actually their recruiting has fallen off quite a bit the last few years. They just don't have the players to compete

Are they all going to A&M, TCU, Baylor because their programs are up? I understand A&M edge with pitching the SEC thing. When I lived Texas, they all thought they had arrived when they switched conferences. It's amazing what inside and outside perspectives are.

Are they all going to A&M, TCU, Baylor because their programs are up? I understand A&M edge with pitching the SEC thing. When I lived Texas, they all thought they had arrived when they switched conferences. It's amazing what inside and outside perspectives are.

I don't know the specific breakdown of where the best talent is going. I know that in this years draft they had zero players taken. Part of it is A&M Baylor and TCU. Oklahoma has always had a pipeline into the Dallas area. Recruiting isn't automatic anymore. It takes a concerted effort. Mack let the program slide way down.

I don't know the specific breakdown of where the best talent is going. I know that in this years draft they had zero players taken. Part of it is A&M Baylor and TCU. Oklahoma has always had a pipeline into the Dallas area. Recruiting isn't automatic anymore. It takes a concerted effort. Mack let the program slide way down.

UTx used to just sort out the best players and let the rest go elsewhere. Those days are long gone...Times changed...Mack did not.....going to be very hard to regain their cache.

Guest WarEagleSteve

I've read a few articles about their AD Steve Patterson and by all accounts the guy is a disaster. Singularly obsessed with finances and branding to the detriment of EVERYTHING else. I've heard more than one rumor that he was responsible for torpedoing the Saban deal but who really knows/cares. What has been established is that the guy is a nightmare to work for, cuts every possible financial corner he can, and has alienated just about every important alumnus/donor they have. He's apparently skyrocketed ticket prices (prices jumped 21 percent over last year) and slashed faculty/coaching access to facilities (coaches have to pay out of pocket to eat with their players more than 30 times a year). Texas quality control assistants are the lowest paid in their conference (worse than Kansas) and he personally denied their raise. Charlie Strong may not be the right coach for them right now but he's going to have a hell of a time recruiting with that guy running the AD show.

I've read a few articles about their AD Steve Patterson and by all accounts the guy is a disaster. Singularly obsessed with finances and branding to the detriment of EVERYTHING else. I've heard more than one rumor that he was responsible for torpedoing the Saban deal but who really knows/cares. What has been established is that the guy is a nightmare to work for, cuts every possible financial corner he can, and has alienated just about every important alumnus/donor they have. He's apparently skyrocketed ticket prices (prices jumped 21 percent over last year) and slashed faculty/coaching access to facilities (coaches have to pay out of pocket to eat with their players more than 30 times a year). Texas quality control assistants are the lowest paid in their conference (worse than Kansas) and he personally denied their raise. Charlie Strong may not be the right coach for them right now but he's going to have a hell of a time recruiting with that guy running the AD show.

If he's doing all that, he won't hold the job for long. Texas boosters won't put up with it.

Texas just SACKED their AD!

Did we peg this one correctly or what? Of course a blind man could have seen that coming I guess but nice to get one right every now and then.

I heard he walked away with a settlement that would make a head coach blush with embarrassment.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/report--texas--expected-to-fire--athletic-director-steve-patterson-140850208.html

i hope Saban is over there coaching by the middle of next month. Hate it for Strong because I think he can do good things, but he'll land on his feet.

The thought of a middle of the night moving van backing up to satans house cranks my tractor. Mid-season.

Archived