For Those Making the Trip to Baton Rouge

PythagoreanTiger

I have been to more Auburn/LSU games than I can count, as I am an alumnus of both schools. It's my absolute favorite weekend every year. I wanted to give some suggestions for Auburn fans making the trip from the perspective of dual Tiger who lived in Baton Rouge for several years. Hopefully this is helpful to those who are making the trip for the first time or looking for new things to do on a return trip.

Hotels

It's probably too late for this, but I thought I'd share just in case you're still looking for a place to stay on the off chance there's any availability. Any of the hotels off of the College Dr. exit (Corporate Blvd. & Constitution Ave.) are good. Any of the downtown hotels will be too--especially if you're looking to be able to walk to and from the 3rd St. bars. Those are pretty much as close as you can get to campus. The hotels off Essen and Bluebonnet are fine too, but they're farther from campus and any fun nightlife. I don't recommend going any farther north or east due to distance, convenience, and/or safety. If you can't find anything there, NOLA or Hammond area are your best bets.

Food & Drinks

Baton Rouge has some good restaurants and fun bars. Unfortunately they are rarely located within walking distance of each other and are almost never within walking distance from your hotel. A non-exhaustive list of restaurant recommendations includes Chimes, Parrain's, Chelsea's, George's, Sammy’s, and Bistro Byronz. For non-cajun/creole cuisine, I’d recommend City Pork or The Rum House. I also highly recommend Mason’s (or Chimes) for brunch on Sunday.

As far as bar recommendations go, it depends on what you're looking for. The 3rd St. bars are fun and have a nice variety of options and are good for bar hopping. Tigerland and Bogie’s might be appealing if you're college aged or not too far removed. There are also random bars elsewhere in the city that are cool like The Bulldog, Olive or Twist, and Radio Bar. Bars within short walking distance to campus include Chimes, Walk-Ons, and Tigerland.

Game Day

Get to campus early as the parking situation is terrible and fills up quickly. They've changed the rules since the last time Auburn played in BR. You can no longer park on the streets and essentially all of the on-campus lots are paid with the exception of the Old Front Nine, Hart, and Parker Coliseum lots which all fill up by 9ish for big games and the Levee & Hayfield lots which fill up not that much later. Some of the lots behind the law school and around the lab school are also free. There are also a couple lots on the perimeter of campus that aren't paid but they're a bit of a hike. There are also several places that you can pay on campus without a parking pass. This is a good option if you want convenient parking and spending that money isn't an issue for you. Post-game traffic is all contraflow and is absolutely terrible, so if you have a tailgate to go back to after the game and let time pass then do it. Basically, if you're parked south of the stadium you will be forced to leave south, and similarly if you're parked to the north. Here's a parking map to help give you an idea:

PTCADDTCVEEPIGH.20150720164105.jpg

Tailgating at LSU is an absolute blast. The horror stories that circulate about LSU fans are from babies. Yes, you'll be tiger baited (even though it's not exactly logical when Auburn and LSU play). It's just an LSU tradition. Smile and wave and you will likely be offered food and drinks. LSU fans will also make comments about the shakers (but will call them "pom-poms"). No need to be upset here, either. LSU doesn't use shakers so the fans think it's weird. Smile and wave and you will likely be offered food and drinks. Outside of that, you should not have any problems unless you actively try to find them and/or create them. Just like every fan base, there are duds (typically a subset of the student population and some of the sidewalk fans). Ignore them and interact with the 99% of LSU fans who just want to have a good time with you.

LSU has one of the prettiest campuses in the SEC so take some time to just walk around and enjoy it. People tailgate everywhere, but places of interest (depending on your age and what you're looking for) include the Parade Ground and the Old Front Nine. Tiger Walk is always located at gates 11 & 12 on the southeast corner of the stadium about two hours before kickoff. After that’s over, I recommend walking to the north side of the stadium to watch the Tiger Band march down the hill. Try to be in the stadium no less than 40 minutes before kickoff to ensure you see all of LSU’s pregame traditions like Mike (even though he didn’t want to get in his cage for any games last year…), Callin’ Baton Rouge, Louisiana Saturday Night, and pregame. Death Valley is one of the best gameday atmospheres in the country, especially at night. Unfortunately it’s a 2:30 kickoff and will be hotter than hell, but it should still be a good time.

Hope this helps, and I look forward to seeing everyone there! :cheers:

IMG_2465.JPG

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple additions to my previous post with events that may be of interest to some:

Downtown Baton Rouge holds a free concert from 5-8 on Friday in the park behind the Old State Capitol as a part of the Live After Five concert series. The band this week is a country band called "The Gillis Silo." They sell food and beverages there, and it is adjacent to 3rd Street where the bars are downtown. I don't know anything about this particular band, but the event is a good time and the weather should be great for it.

Fred's in Tigerland has Free Drink Friday from 7-9. A $10 cover gets you all you can drink during that period, top shelf included. 17th Floor is performing there afterwards at 10.

Hey PT, we have something in common. I also an alumnus of both schools. Got my undergrad at Auburn and law degree at LSU. Still live in LA since my wife is from here but Iuhave been an Auburn fan since birth. Good analysis. LSU is a great fan experience. Definitely worth visiting for anyone who has never been here before. WDE and have fun Saturday.

Thanks, great info to archive!

#101 on the map is where the elderly UGA fans had their van burned by LSU fans, #303 is a great viewing spot for rolling brawls between drunk LSU fans :drink1:, #402 is a preferred spot for LSU fans to urinate in pubic and #408 is the a Baton Rouge Police Dept station where, according to their 2003 circular to visiting fans, you can expect no assistance in dealing with gameday corndogs.

(Just in fun).

The horror stories that circulate about LSU fans are from babies.

Outside of that, you should not have any problems unless you actively try to find them and/or create them.

Unless things have changed since '93, these are false statements. And it's telling how folks often attempt to dispel other folks' accounts of being mistreated down there by denying and insulting. I shouldn't have to spell out that that response only enforces the negative perception.

Great, helpful post otherwise.

Outside of that, you should not have any problems unless you actively try to find them and/or create them.

Unless things have changed since '93, these are false statements. And it's telling how folks often attempt to dispel other folks' accounts of being mistreated down there by denying and insulting. I shouldn't have to spell out that that response only enforces the negative perception.

Great, helpful post otherwise.

I can only speak fir myself. I have been to LSU games multiple times wearing orange and blue and the worst experience I have had is being constantly tiger baited, but I am sure far worse things have happened to other fans, but most likely when they put themselves in situations involving lots of alcohol.

I went every other year for eight years and never had or saw an incident. A guy did tie a faux-penis to the inside of his apron, offer me food when I was driving by, then "wipe his brow with the edge of the apron, thus lifting said faux-dong into my car window around my face. I laughed. That's the humor down there. If it bothers you, stay away. You don't want to call attention to yourself by getting offended. It only goes downhill from there.

All in all, I've been to every SEC venue save the newbys, Little Rock, and Jacksonville. Baton Rouge is a top four game day experience. I thought I'd make it this year, but work has gotten in the way. If you can, go. It's damn near the best.

I can only speak fir myself. I have been to LSU games multiple times wearing orange and blue and the worst experience I have had is being constantly tiger baited, but I am sure far worse things have happened to other fans, but most likely when they put themselves in situations involving lots of alcohol.

So all these folks choose Baton Rouge to get more drunk and belligerent than they normally do and therefore bring all of these problems- that aren't reported elsewhere in nearly such volume- upon themselves?

Speaking only for myself, I was treated like crap down there by frat boys, well heeled alumni and everybody in between. I had a large soda chucked at my head by a guy who certainly looked the part of an alumnus as he yelled at me to "take that f***in' Auburn hat off". That happened in the stadium. There was no response from security. Again, it was '93, so maybe things have changed.

Yes, the good people down there are great. But the constant denial from folks about the bad ones- and especially the insulting tone it tends to take on- is tiresome. And, again, it only reinforces the perception. (I'll stop short of saying that it blurs the line between perception and reality.)

I know 2 guys that were hospitalized in 1999 after being jumped by 8-10 beligerant drunk corn dogs simply because they were wearing Auburn shirts. They started getting harrassed by groups of people the whole way out of the stadium, and while trying to keep their heads down and get to their car they were attacked. One spent a few weeks in the hospital.

Of course, it's been better since then but ONLY because we haven't won. Should we win, the horror stories will be as bad or worse than ever I'm sure. After 99, I declared to NEVER EVER EVER give money to the LSU stadium period...meaning not even accepting free tickets (still would spend money on concessions...and probably bail!)

So all these folks choose Baton Rouge to get more drunk and belligerent than they normally do and therefore bring all of these problems- that aren't reported elsewhere in nearly such volume- upon themselves?

Speaking only for myself, I was treated like crap down there by frat boys, well heeled alumni and everybody in between. I had a large soda chucked at my head by a guy who certainly looked the part of an alumnus as he yelled at me to "take that f***in' Auburn hat off". That happened in the stadium. There was no response from security. Again, it was '93, so maybe things have changed.

Yes, the good people down there are great. But the constant denial from folks about the bad ones- and especially the insulting tone it tends to take on- is tiresome. And, again, it only reinforces the perception. (I'll stop short of saying that it blurs the line between perception and reality.)

I am not trying to deny the experiences you or anyone else has had. To provide a little context, I have never been to a game we have won. :/ For this week, since it is a day game, it will likely be more tame than usual.

This is different. I went to a uat and LSU game in Baton Rouge back in the early 80s. Some bammer friends had an extra ticket and I said what the he**, why not. So when we get ready to go to the game I put on my Auburn gear. The bammers tried to get me to wear some of their stuff. Nope, not happening. When we get to the stadium the LSU people thought that was the funniest thing they had ever seen. They kept asking me 'Are you lost?' or 'You're at the wrong stadium.' They loved it and yes, offered food and drink all day. I have never been to and Auburn game there but the experience that day was nothing but positive.

This is different. I went to a uat and LSU game in Baton Rouge back in the early 80s. Some bammer friends had an extra ticket and I said what the he**, why not. So when we get ready to go to the game I put on my Auburn gear. The bammers tried to get me to wear some of their stuff. Nope, not happening. When we get to the stadium the LSU people thought that was the funniest thing they had ever seen. They kept asking me 'Are you lost?' or 'You're at the wrong stadium.' They loved it and yes, offered food and drink all day. I have never been to and Auburn game there but the experience that day was nothing but positive.

That's a great story and I believe all the great stories I hear about the experience down there. I just wish that the locals were as willing to accept the other side of the coin. They can accept that it exists without accepting blame.

That's a great story and I believe all the great stories I hear about the experience down there. I just wish that the locals were as willing to accept the other side of the coin. They can accept that it exists without accepting blame.

it exists and can happen. Does that work?

it exists and can happen. Does that work?

It's better than preemptively calling FoundationEagle's friends babies who brought it on themselves, as the OP did.

Unless things have changed since '93, these are false statements.
I find it interesting that you act as if people who say the LSU fanbase as a whole isn't bad are off base and wrong. Meanwhile, you are projecting your own particular bad experience from nearly 25 years ago onto the entire present-day fanbase. I admitted there are certainly duds--Auburn has them too. But to imply that the handful of people who put a bad taste in your mouth that long ago invalidates any positive things other people have to say about LSU fans is complete lunacy.

For what it's worth, I've always had a great experience as an Auburn fan in Baton Rouge and I've never witnessed anything other than incessant tiger baiting and other harmless taunts in my years as a season ticket holder at LSU (even when LSU lost the game). If you go to Baton Rouge looking to have fun, you're going to have a blast. Don't engage with the duds. There will be a plethora of fans who would love to tailgate and have a good time with you.

Pro Tip: Converse about the shared hatred for Alabama. It's a near guarantee you'll end up with a full belly and plenty of booze.

Unless things have changed since '93, these are false statements.
I find it interesting that you act as if people who say the LSU fanbase as a whole isn't bad are off base and wrong. Meanwhile, you are projecting your own particular bad experience from nearly 25 years ago onto the entire present-day fanbase. I admitted there are certainly duds--Auburn has them too. But to imply that the handful of people who put a bad taste in your mouth that long ago invalidates any positive things other people have to say about LSU fans is complete lunacy.

For what it's worth, I've always had a great experience as an Auburn fan in Baton Rouge and I've never witnessed anything other than incessant tiger baiting and other harmless taunts in my years as a season ticket holder at LSU (even when LSU lost the game). If you go to Baton Rouge looking to have fun, you're going to have a blast. Don't engage with the duds. There will be a plethora of fans who would love to tailgate and have a good time with you.

Pro Tip: Converse about the shared hatred for Alabama. It's a near guarantee you'll end up with a full belly and plenty of booze.

I can't speak for the violence since I have never personally experienced that, however I will say that the level of crassness from the LSU fanbase is considerably greater than all the other fan bases I have experienced.

Meanwhile, you are projecting your own particular bad experience from nearly 25 years ago onto the entire present-day fanbase.

But to imply that the handful of people who put a bad taste in your mouth that long ago invalidates any positive things other people have to say about LSU fans is complete lunacy.

I did nothing of the sort and was actually quite generous in my subsequent posts in pointing out that I understood the difference. And while you're patting yourself on the back for "admitting there are a few duds" immediately after you said this:

and this:

you should not have any problems unless you actively try to find them and/or create them.

...you might want to acknowledge that I myself offered as a disclaimer that my one experience was long ago and that things might have changed since then.

But hey, an LSU grad threw a blanket insult towards anybody who dares to offer an honest account of something bad that happened to them at the hands of LSU fans in Baton Rouge, so that means that LSU fans are far better than the reputation that precedes them. Got it.

Good post Pythagorean. I know we talked in another thread over on the tickets forum, but you really covered everything in the OP.

Only thing I'll add is that tickets are still available through LSU's "ticket marketplace" at reasonable prices for those interested.

The wife and I will be there in our Auburn gear in Section 300 so if ya'll see us, give a War Eagle. ;)

Oh almost forgot, for those not taligating there's always a live band between the Maravich Center and Tiger Stadium that starts 5 hours before kickoff.

I have been to 6 Auburn LSU games in Baton Rouge, and have seen horrific things. The one that still gets me angry happened during the tiger walk to the stadium. Auburn Tiger Walk that is. A young man who was close to the end of his life from brain cancer, had the opportunity to walk with the team. He was walking with the team during the tiger walk, and an LSU fan heaved an opened glass bottle of beer that hit the young man in his head.

There are others who saw this as well. It was during the 90s. I am pretty sure that it was the night game where Damien Craig directed the team to a last second victory in BR. This was payback in my mind for the young man who suffer the hit from the beer bottle.

I know there are many nice LSU fans that treat opposing teams with respect. I have been treated well there and have eaten some of the best tailgate food on the planet there. Probably 90% of the LSU fans are great folks that only want to have a good time and are willing to share some of the fun with Auburn fans and maybe give a hotdog that fell to the ground to a bammer fan!

Archived