2016 JUCO QB recruiting

WarEagleAU

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeremy Johnson, Kiehl Frazier, Kodi Burns, Zeke Pike, Tyrik Rollison and Neil Caudle were all considered better than "quality QBs" coming out of high school, and Barrett Trotter wasn't all that shabby himself. The list of guys who have succeeded at Auburn in that same time span is much shorter. Not to mention, Gus's three most high profile proteges have both flamed out miserably (don't forget about Mitch Mustain). In fact, Gus has had 6 successful quarterbacks in his college coaching career:

2007- Whichever guy that was at Tulsa, who was an accomplished senior who Gus inherited

2008- The other guy at Tulsa, who was a rising senior and had backed up the previous guy for 3 years

2009- Chris Todd, juco

2010- Cam Newton, juco

2012- Ryan Aplin, senior who had already been highly successful under Hugh Freeze

2013 & '14- Nick Marshall, juco

But yeah, there are some high school QBs who are sure things and we should stop recruiting the position.

Obviously JJ has been disappointing through three games. There's no debating that, and lot of it is on his coaches. But we've got him on our roster for at least 21 more games, so he's got time to be the next Jason Campbell.

It seems as though you're faulting CGM for not developing Frazier and Mustain. He had each for one year in college, and both were true freshmen. The other offensive coaches those guys worked with (Sarkisian, Kiffin, Loeffler) were unable to turn them around.

Regarding the other Auburn QBs mentioned, Rollison and Pike are solely to blame for their short AU careers. The OCs before Gus couldn't do anything with Burns, and he moved to WR before Gus' first year as OC. (Frazier was already playing defense by the time he returned.) Caudle was unable to beat out Chris Todd and Cam. I always thought Trotter had a lot of promise, but that 2011 squad had all kinds of issues besides QB play.

Just some things to consider.

WDE!

If Gus takes a couple of JUCO running QB's to go along with Barrett in the spring and Narcisse the following year, I would think White will probably get the message. All in for dual threat and read option. That may be what TPTB want to see regardless of whether CGM system works for either QB style. Will be interesting to see what happens with QB recruiting.

I still refuse to believe that we need to raid JC's for a DT QB. If we are, then Gus isn't as flexible with his offenses as people like to say he is.

I'd say no to everybody but that Evans guy. I'd go to Texas and hand him a scholly personally if I was Gus

I agree with this

It's hard to argue against those numbers. Is he ranked the no. 1 JUCO QB?

Jeremy Johnson, Kiehl Frazier, Kodi Burns, Zeke Pike, Tyrik Rollison and Neil Caudle were all considered better than "quality QBs" coming out of high school, and Barrett Trotter wasn't all that shabby himself. The list of guys who have succeeded at Auburn in that same time span is much shorter. Not to mention, Gus's three most high profile proteges have both flamed out miserably (don't forget about Mitch Mustain). In fact, Gus has had 6 successful quarterbacks in his college coaching career:

2007- Whichever guy that was at Tulsa, who was an accomplished senior who Gus inherited

2008- The other guy at Tulsa, who was a rising senior and had backed up the previous guy for 3 years

2009- Chris Todd, juco

2010- Cam Newton, juco

2012- Ryan Aplin, senior who had already been highly successful under Hugh Freeze

2013 & '14- Nick Marshall, juco

But yeah, there are some high school QBs who are sure things and we should stop recruiting the position.

Obviously JJ has been disappointing through three games. There's no debating that, and lot of it is on his coaches. But we've got him on our roster for at least 21 more games, so he's got time to be the next Jason Campbell.

It seems as though you're faulting CGM for not developing Frazier and Mustain. He had each for one year in college, and both were true freshmen. The other offensive coaches those guys worked with (Sarkisian, Kiffin, Loeffler) were unable to turn them around.

Regarding the other Auburn QBs mentioned, Rollison and Pike are solely to blame for their short AU careers. The OCs before Gus couldn't do anything with Burns, and he moved to WR before Gus' first year as OC. (Frazier was already playing defense by the time he returned.) Caudle was unable to beat out Chris Todd and Cam. I always thought Trotter had a lot of promise, but that 2011 squad had all kinds of issues besides QB play.

Just some things to consider.

WDE!

Oh, there are a variety of reasons for the lack of success with high school quarterbacks, and not all (or even most, necessarily) fall on Gus or even the kids themselves. I totally agree. My main point was that it's mighty naive to suggest that we are okay with our recruiting of the position because of guys who are "on board".

As for Gus's recruiting and development of high school quarterbacks, you're right, it's too early to make a final assessment. But the fact is he hasn't succeeded at it yet. The sky is not falling, but I am anxious to see the sun peek from behind the clouds.

We are okay at QB. We don't need 5 scholarship QBs on our roster next fall. How bout we use that useless QB spot and get a project DL or something like that.

We are okay at QB. We don't need 5 scholarship QBs on our roster next fall. How bout we use that useless QB spot and get a project DL or something like that.

One of those is JJ who is not doing to well at this time that is a reason for concern

One just had Surgery Queen and you never know if he will come back

One is a Redshirt Freshman Sean White who we don't know if he will be great, average, or bad.

One is currently a WR and backup QB.

The others are in HS and have not signed NLI yet so not to at least look at Juco QB's would be a mistake.

Do we need DL's yes but we already have the slots for them assuming we can sign them

One of those is JJ who is not doing to well at this time that is a reason for concern

One is a Redshirt Freshman Sean White who we don't know if he will be great, average, or bad.

The others are in HS and have not signed NLI yet so not to at least look at Juco QB's would be a mistake.

Do we need DL's yes but we already have the slots for them assuming we can sign them

Hopefully it will sink in this time, Texas, but I'm not optimistic.

Hopefully it will sink in this time, Texas, but I'm not optimistic.

Just because I don't agree with it, doesn't mean it hasn't "sunk in."

Two weeks ago everybody claimed that Tommy John surgery was very successful and that Queen would go back to 100 percent. So which is it ?

And just for the record, I am more on board with finding a Juco QB, than "we need to find a DT QB in a hurry." There is a difference in the argument and loofus is too dense to figure that out.

Two weeks ago everybody claimed that Tommy John surgery was very successful and that Queen would go back to 100 percent. So which is it ?

And just for the record, I am more on board with finding a Juco QB, than "we need to find a DT QB in a hurry." There is a difference in the argument and loofus is too dense to figure that out.

I read that the surgery was a success and he would be 100% but that is after surgery and rehab is just starting so that is not a guarantee.

Like you I know we need DT's but like I said we are looking for 3-5 on the board whether we sign a Juco QB would not impact the DT situation. The DT question is can we get the DT's we want to sign with us not do we have a Scholarship again I am agreeing with you.

I'd say no to everybody but that Evans guy. I'd go to Texas and hand him a scholly personally if I was Gus

I will go with you, and will pack enough peanut butter & jelly sandwiches to feed 25 Juco QBs. This way, we are bound to find a solid Juco QB out there. I have yet to find an excellent QB who did not like P&J sandwiches.

Lol!

I just think the risk/reward is worth it. What if he's potentially another cam? If not cam a Marshall? If we miss...hell we've missed on more than a couple before anyway

I just think the risk/reward is worth it. What if he's potentially another cam? If not cam a Marshall? If we miss...hell we've missed on more than a couple before anyway

He looks athletic with a good arm but that is some of the worst defensive play, in his highlights video, I have ever seen.

Yeah, I thought that too. I remember when I watched cam juco highlights I initially thought well look how big he is of course he's going to run over them, then I'll never forget when he trucked that linebacker that played for arky at the goal line. And how intense and angry he was after it....one of the few times he wasn't smiling. And I was like whelp apparently he's going to do everybody like this...I think that's the hardest thing to scout, a guy is dominant but will it translate against other dominant players

We still have Jason Smith and he is electric so there is really no need to go after another QB just like Smith. We could have been using him the whole time. If we wanted another QB, we could have gone after Lamar Jackson too. It seems like to me the coaches are being really indecisive in figuring out what they want.

They moved him from qb so quick I was thinking maybe he was lacking something. It wasn't a good two days they had him there was it?

They moved him from qb so quick I was thinking maybe he was lacking something. It wasn't a good two days they had him there was it?

Russian Elections may be more genuine than Smith's "shot" at becoming QB.

This. They thought they had a sure-thing in JJ and therefore there was no need to waste Smith's eligibility as a 3rd string QB when he could contribute at WR. Had they known what they do now; Smith would have never moved off QB.

This. They thought they had a sure-thing in JJ and therefore there was no need to waste Smith's eligibility as a 3rd string QB when he could contribute at WR. Had they known what they do now; Smith would have never moved off QB.

Agree....JJ had the job by default at the end of last season...probably based on the Arky game. Excuse me for the heresy but I doubt that Smith or White, either one, got a legitimate opportunity to win the job.

Everyone on this board(and probably the coaching staff) pretty much accepted that JJ was the man for the next two years ...except for those who were sure he would go early in the NFL draft which meant that SW might play next year.

So now......looks like it's back to where we should have been back in August and perhaps JS gets a look at the wildcat role if nothing else. JJ will be the back-up I expect but maybe a little JS mobility might be good to have too.

After this game, AU has some time to do a better job of sorting out the QB situation with only 2 games over a period of almost a month.

I've said this before, JJ has been in the program for 3 years and Malzahn is just now finding out he can't read defenses. A question I have is who is it who actually works with the QB'S, Malzahn or Lashlee?

Archived