2016 JUCO QB recruiting

WarEagleAU

I don't know why people on this board are calling any of our quarterbacks who have yet to take a snap stars. Haven't we learned our lesson?

Maybe you can't comprehend a prediction??? I happen to have seen several of Tyler's games and watched his A Day performance and think he is going to be good. I guess I could say they/he will suck and be like several other(apparently YOU) people on this board and be negative. I would rather look at things in a positive light. Too bad that you aren't a positive fan. We could probably do with out you! War Eagle!

Dude. Calm yourself down. Predictions are great and all, but you don't know squat if you're basing your prediction on a few high school games and A-Day LOL. How'd that work out for Frazier and JJ, huh? Predict all you want, but one would think that people would temper the whole "this guy's going to be great" talk, especially right now. Guess that flew over your head though. Personally, I think we need less fans on this board saying that we need less fans like *insert poster here*. So basically, what I'm saying is, we need less fans like YOU. War eagle kid

Actually Mr. Potatoooo head, I didn't see Frazier or JJ play in high school. Isn't that where recruiting takes place and if they don't play well there, they don't get a scholarship? Apparently several coaches thought the same or they wouldn't be on scholarship. The first part of my post turned out pretty good, as White played well. The jury is still out on the second part, so crawl back into your negative potato mound and stay until Queen plays and we find out, kid! War Eagle!

You're proving my point and you don't even realize it lol. Plenty of people on this board did the exact same thing for Fraizer, JJ, etc that you claim to have done with Queen, aka, our next star as you so declared. My point that you are missing entirely is that A-Day and high school film don't mean crap in college. Everyone thinks these guys will be great, which is why the coaches sign them and we get excited about them, but IN LIGHT OF RECENT EVENTS I suggest tempering the "so and so will be a star" talk because the same thing was said about these others guys (and they turned out to be anything but) and because it just makes you look foolish. It's not about being negative. It's common sense. Do you understand now?

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I watched that game last night, I thought we're gonna lose more commitments for the way this team is playing and this staff is coaching.

I agree. Maybe we'll get lucky and get the death penalty from the NCAA.

As I watched that game last night, I thought we're gonna lose more commitments for the way this team is playing and this staff is coaching.

I agree. Maybe we'll get lucky and get the death penalty from the NCAA.

We can only hope so. a4e strikes again

By that you mean a defense that held a very good Miss. State team to 17 points. By an offense that kept it simple as we had a redshirt Freshman who minus one interception had a pretty good game and a running game that moved the ball well. Then you are right. I saw a team that played hard and that got a lot better from the previous week. I would have loved a win but that game gave me hope we have a chance to be a solid team this year. No promises no predictions from me just hope based on the effort I saw on Saturday.

fwiw (in other words, a copy & paste of AL.com)

Sean White aims to give Auburn a boost as the new starting quarterback this weekend, but the Tigers have a viable third option at their disposal.

Receiver Jason Smith is practicing at the position this week in preparation for the SEC home opener against Mississippi State. At 6-foot-1, 185 pounds, Smith is a closer fit to former Auburn star Nick Marshall in the zone-read offense than Jeremy Johnson or White, both pocket passers.

"(Smith) was a very good passer for us and has a good, live arm," said Smith's former head coach at McGill-Toolen, Chad Sessions. "I really thought going in that he'd give anyone up there a run for their money with what they were doing with the read offense. If they decide that's going to be their package going forward, the stuff they were doing with Nick Marshall, I'd think Jason would be the front runner."

Marshall, a true dual-threat quarterback, thrived in Gus Malzahn's offensive system in 2013 and 2014, rushing for 1,866 yards and 23 scores. Auburn has all but abandoned the zone-read this season, as Johnson has rarely been a threat to run upfield.

As a senior in 2012, Smith passed for 1,566 yards and 19 touchdowns and rushed for 867 yards and 14 touchdowns. After failing to qualify academically at Auburn, Smith enrolled at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College and was redshirted in 2013. The following season Smith was back at it, passing for 1,566 yards and 18 touchdowns while rushing for 424 yards and 10 scores.

Smith was in attendance when Marshall scored four touchdowns in a 41-7 win over LSU last October and later said he would have "a little more to bring to the table" when he got to the Plains. By the time he arrived on Auburn's campus in January, Smith was ranked as the nation's No. 1 JUCO athlete and planned on challenging Johnson for the starting quarterback job.

"(Smith's) going to have a chance to play quarterback," Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn said on National Signing Day in February. "That's what we recruited him (to play) out of high school. Same plan. He went to junior college, so he's going to start out a quarterback, but he is athletic enough that if it didn't work out he could play some other positions."

Less than 48 hours into Auburn's spring practices, Smith (6-1, 185) dropped out of the quarterback race and voluntarily moved to receiver.

"I think he saw the writing on the wall that Jeremy was the heir apparent," Sessions said. "The kid just wants to help the team and was like that with us... He's just a guy who wants to play and probably felt like he wasn't going to get his shot."

As a raw receiver, Smith has been largely underutilized this season with just two catches for 11 yards. His biggest play, a 56-yard touchdown catch against Louisville, was called back for holding.

This post says it all about the ego and arrogance of Gus. He wants to so badly prove to people that he can produce a pure pocket passer, that he never gave one of the better athletes, maybe the best athlete, on our team a chance to be QB, and now we have none. Gus is going live and die this year with a QB who can't run unless he realizes that his offense can only be lethal with a dual threat/running QB.

Where do you come up with this stuff? I can only assume that you are a member of the team or coaching staff to have such insight on the inner workings of CGM's mind. I don't have that access but I am guessing his only concern is winning football games and proving things that don't contribute directly to that are way down on his list. Keep banging on him though. Players may look on these sites but I am damn sure Gus is too busy to read this drivel. WDE

John Franklin iii is visiting this weekend. He is a DT Juco QB that originally signed with Florida State.

John Franklin iii is visiting this weekend. He is a DT Juco QB that originally signed with Florida State.

IMO if AU offers Franklin I think Gus has hit the panic button. He must not think White can get the job done. But I think Queen is done. So who knows.

I don't think it's panic. If queen's arm is shot then a juco might be a sensible filler/replacement. we are looking at 2 qbs in one of the next 2 classes. And might end up with a "gap"

Now of course it could be panic - but there are other just as reasonable explanations.

IMO if AU offers Franklin I think Gus has hit the panic button. He must not think White can get the job done. But I think Queen is done. So who knows.

I agree.

I think Gus does actually want to prove he can win passing the ball. We have gone with a more pass heavy attack this year (esp when was JJ back there) and last year he kept trying to prove NM was an improved passer. In my estimation I don't think Gus likes to be pigeon-holed as a read option coach. All coaches are arrogant regarding their systems though. It's why they are successful.

snapback.pngWarDamnEagleWDE, on Today, 09:39 AM, said:

snapback.pngaujeff11, on Today, 06:56 AM, said:

I agree.

I have absolutely no idea why after one game against a stout defense in his first ever start White would be shelved (or that anyone would think he can't get the job done at some point). Hitting the panic button is the quickest and easiest way to drive a team right into the ground.

Maybe it's not panic button in relation to White, but maybe because JJ looks so incompetent out there that he needs to be recruited over.

That said, I'd totally welcome a QB with NM's skillset. Shortcomings in the passing game and all. We have yet to see a consistently explosive offense from Gus, while at AU, with a pure pocket QB. Chris Todd did well under the previous offensive standards at AU but that offense floundered in quite a few games that season. Sure Mosely and Trotter didn't have much around them and they themselves were average at best (yes even Trotter was average imo) but dual threat QBs launch Gus offenses to another level though.

fwiw (in other words, a copy & paste of AL.com)

Sean White aims to give Auburn a boost as the new starting quarterback this weekend, but the Tigers have a viable third option at their disposal.

Receiver Jason Smith is practicing at the position this week in preparation for the SEC home opener against Mississippi State. At 6-foot-1, 185 pounds, Smith is a closer fit to former Auburn star Nick Marshall in the zone-read offense than Jeremy Johnson or White, both pocket passers.

"(Smith) was a very good passer for us and has a good, live arm," said Smith's former head coach at McGill-Toolen, Chad Sessions. "I really thought going in that he'd give anyone up there a run for their money with what they were doing with the read offense. If they decide that's going to be their package going forward, the stuff they were doing with Nick Marshall, I'd think Jason would be the front runner."

Marshall, a true dual-threat quarterback, thrived in Gus Malzahn's offensive system in 2013 and 2014, rushing for 1,866 yards and 23 scores. Auburn has all but abandoned the zone-read this season, as Johnson has rarely been a threat to run upfield.

As a senior in 2012, Smith passed for 1,566 yards and 19 touchdowns and rushed for 867 yards and 14 touchdowns. After failing to qualify academically at Auburn, Smith enrolled at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College and was redshirted in 2013. The following season Smith was back at it, passing for 1,566 yards and 18 touchdowns while rushing for 424 yards and 10 scores.

Smith was in attendance when Marshall scored four touchdowns in a 41-7 win over LSU last October and later said he would have "a little more to bring to the table" when he got to the Plains. By the time he arrived on Auburn's campus in January, Smith was ranked as the nation's No. 1 JUCO athlete and planned on challenging Johnson for the starting quarterback job.

"(Smith's) going to have a chance to play quarterback," Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn said on National Signing Day in February. "That's what we recruited him (to play) out of high school. Same plan. He went to junior college, so he's going to start out a quarterback, but he is athletic enough that if it didn't work out he could play some other positions."

Less than 48 hours into Auburn's spring practices, Smith (6-1, 185) dropped out of the quarterback race and voluntarily moved to receiver.

"I think he saw the writing on the wall that Jeremy was the heir apparent," Sessions said. "The kid just wants to help the team and was like that with us... He's just a guy who wants to play and probably felt like he wasn't going to get his shot."

As a raw receiver, Smith has been largely underutilized this season with just two catches for 11 yards. His biggest play, a 56-yard touchdown catch against Louisville, was called back for holding.

This post says it all about the ego and arrogance of Gus. He wants to so badly prove to people that he can produce a pure pocket passer, that he never gave one of the better athletes, maybe the best athlete, on our team a chance to be QB, and now we have none. Gus is going live and die this year with a QB who can't run unless he realizes that his offense can only be lethal with a dual threat/running QB.

Where do you come up with this stuff? I can only assume that you are a member of the team or coaching staff to have such insight on the inner workings of CGM's mind. I don't have that access but I am guessing his only concern is winning football games and proving things that don't contribute directly to that are way down on his list. Keep banging on him though. Players may look on these sites but I am damn sure Gus is too busy to read this drivel. WDE

First yea, I do have a connection in the AD, but that has no relevance of what I said. It is obvious to anyone that knows anything about football that Gus is trying to prove that he can win with a pocket passer. Why do you think last year he made NM throw way more and have less keepers on the read option? And also, didn't even allow NM to go a QB guru to improve his mechanics and footwork in the off-season? Because Gus wants to prove he can develop QBs his way. And now this year, it's completely obvious that he wants to be more pass-oriented, and prove that his offense can work with a non-DT QB. However, as we have seen, it's not successful. He never gave JJ a chance to run the zone-read offense like he did with SW last week, he made JJ a pure passer, which everyone can see is not his comfort zone. JJ ran the spread offense in high school, and then Gus attempts to make him as a pocket-passer. As we saw in the 2nd half of the LSU game, he appears to be more comfortable running the offense that made Gus successful. Again, you have a sufficient amount of evidence now that Gus' offense is lethal and championship caliber with a DT QB with the power running game Gus wants. Look, SW is admirable, has heart and confidence, but he is not the future at QB, or else Gus will be looking for a new job after next year. Look at the facts: Gus NEEDS a DT QB to take his offense to another level.

I don't know that Franklin is a big upgrade over what we have. His stats sure aren't inspiring. IMO if you go JUCO, get as sure a bet as you can, Cam, Nick Marshall, Jacob Coker.....

Ok, i'm kidding on Coker.

Is there some new medical information about Queen? That surgery has had any number of successful results.

I hate to see growing dependent on Juco QBs....which if that is the plan, we might as well quit wasting schollys on HS kids since it appears that we either don't have the coaching skills or or we lack the willingness to invest the time in developing them.

Guys like Murray at UGA played 4 years and I can't recall when we even had a 3yr QB despite having recruited an army of nationally ranked HS QBs over the last dozen or so years.

You can look back a few years and see the "QB Plan" with JJ for three years and White following for at least 2 and so on. Just wondering what AU and Gus's long term plan is regarding the most important position on the team. Are we saying that these young QB candidates can't run our offense?

I don't know that Franklin is a big upgrade over what we have. His stats sure aren't inspiring. IMO if you go JUCO, get as sure a bet as you can, Cam, Nick Marshall, Jacob Coker.....

Ok, i'm kidding on Coker.

I know you were kidding, but Coker never went JUCO

Auburnguy101 and all others that think CGM can only use a dual threat ab please go back and look at his offense at Tulsa and then look at the numbers Chris Todd put up. He has had success with pocket guys.

I'm not sure we should push the panic button on Queen's Tommy John surgery. A developing problem is young pitchers having the surgery when they don't need it because they believe they will pitch better. The procedure actually makes many pitchers better after the surgery (including Tommy John). I'm not sure how the surgery for a quarterback would affect his play, but he snaps his elbow like a pitcher when passing, so it could actually give Tyler a stronger arm. Here's a link to a discussion with the doctor who did Tyler's surgery:

http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer/gregg-doyel/24554338/growing-addiction-among-baseball-players-tommy-john-surgery

I'm not sure we should push the panic button on Queen's Tommy John surgery. A developing problem is young pitchers having the surgery when they don't need it because they believe they will pitch better. The procedure actually makes many pitchers better after the surgery (including Tommy John). I'm not sure how the surgery for a quarterback would affect his play, but he snaps his elbow like a pitcher when passing, so it could actually give Tyler a stronger arm. Here's a link to a discussion with the doctor who did Tyler's surgery:

http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer/gregg-doyel/24554338/growing-addiction-among-baseball-players-tommy-john-surgery

Thanks for sharing

I hate to see growing dependent on Juco QBs....which if that is the plan, we might as well quit wasting schollys on HS kids since it appears that we either don't have the coaching skills or or we lack the willingness to invest the time in developing them.

Guys like Murray at UGA played 4 years and I can't recall when we even had a 3yr QB despite having recruited an army of nationally ranked HS QBs over the last dozen or so years.

You can look back a few years and see the "QB Plan" with JJ for three years and White following for at least 2 and so on. Just wondering what AU and Gus's long term plan is regarding the most important position on the team. Are we saying that these young QB candidates can't run our offense?

This X 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000

http://www.cbssports...my-john-surgery

I don't have any info if Queen is done or not. If Queen isn't and Gus offers Franklin them AU is in big trouble. IMO.

Archived