New Auburn Baseball Coach Candidates

Samford is a IAA school. Sure it's easy to win in football, basketball and baseball. We're talking about a team in Auburn who's a IA team and we play in the best conference around. I still would like to see us hire Vandy's head coach.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope they don't even talk to dunn. I don't want him at Auburn in any coaching capacity.

Why? PS: I'm not trying to be a smartass, just wondering what might be wrong with Dunn. I know nothing about him except for his playing days at AU and the fact that he's been beating us with what should be inferior talent.

I hope they don't even talk to dunn. I don't want him at Auburn in any coaching capacity.

Why? PS: I'm not trying to be a smartass, just wondering what might be wrong with Dunn. I know nothing about him except for his playing days at AU and the fact that he's been beating us with what should be inferior talent.

It's my opinion that he's not qualified to run a major D1 program, particularly an SEC caliber program. I hate also that every time a coaching position comes open at Auburn fans immediately ramble off former Auburn players just because they played here. I'm not a fan of this and he's a known uat fan when it comes to football. NO THANKS. I believe we can do much better than this and we deserve much better than this.

Samford is a IAA school. Sure it's easy to win in football, basketball and baseball. We're talking about a team in Auburn who's a IA team and we play in the best conference around. I still would like to see us hire Vandy's head coach.

Remember, in baseball (and basketball), there is no D1-AA. All teams in D1, including Samford, play for the CWS. Samford plays D1 in baseball, and under Dunn, they have beat AU with regularity.

Interesting that Dunn has been lobbying for the AU job for years....apparently wants to step up the bigger challenges but despite all the coaching changes in college baseball...there he sits at little Samford. Can't recall ever seeing his name mentioned as a candidate elsewhere.....and yet to some folks he is the ideal coach for AU. I just don't get it ? :-\

Besides beating Auburn, who else has Samford beat regularity and what is Samford's record been with Dunn?

He's not a splash hire. We can do a lot better.

Casey Dunn, Samford head coach

The fan favorite for the job. The former Auburn All-American could bring stability and healing to a program with scars.

He has coached Samford for 11 seasons in Birmingham, but has only one NCAA Tournament appearance during that time. His 329-299 record has included four losing seasons.

He fell short of NCAA regionals with losses in the Southern Conference Tournament title game in 2014 and 2015.

Besides beating Auburn, who else has Samford beat regularity and what is Samford's record been with Dunn?

He's not a splash hire. We can do a lot better.

Casey Dunn, Samford head coach

The fan favorite for the job. The former Auburn All-American could bring stability and healing to a program with scars.

He has coached Samford for 11 seasons in Birmingham, but has only one NCAA Tournament appearance during that time. His 329-299 record has included four losing seasons.

He fell short of NCAA regionals with losses in the Southern Conference Tournament title game in 2014 and 2015.

How many regional appearances did Samford make prior to Dunn? A winning season at Samford is quite an accomplishment, trust me.

Interesting that Dunn has been lobbying for the AU job for years....apparently wants to step up the bigger challenges but despite all the coaching changes in college baseball...there he sits at little Samford. Can't recall ever seeing his name mentioned as a candidate elsewhere.....and yet to some folks he is the ideal coach for AU. I just don't get it ? :-\/>

Coaching searches in baseball are a lot less public than football. We really don't know if he has been mentioned for other jobs. He was on the short list at bammer when Wells left.

He was the last man out for the Baylor job that was filled this past June.

http://www.ourdailybears.com/2015/6/9/8755089/6-more-names-to-know-for-the-baseball-job

I'm not sure ANYBODY wants to come here under the current circumstances.

We may be looking for a new AD before we hire a new baseball coach.

http://www.ourdailyb...he-baseball-job

I guess that's possible but the link mentions "rumored candidates" and the confirmation of interest came from Dunn's sources. Seems Dunn is always willing to toss his name into the hat for an opening. Not saying he is the right or wrong man for the job but there is nothing about his record that would make me think he is a good hire.

http://www.ourdailyb...he-baseball-job

That means Jay will be coaching baseball this season....lol

Since Dunn has had 4 losing seasons and fell short in the NCAA regionals in the Southern Conference Tournament game in 2014 and 2015, I just don't understand why the AU want's him to be our coach. I guess they don't won't to see the Tigers win the SEC or make a run for the CWS.

So...we gonna get a coach or what?

2 weeks.... ;)

I'm hearing we may have a named coach by the end of next week....and it favors Thompson. TIFWIW

Bobby Pierce who was Troy's old coach would be a fantastic hire! The dude can coach,

Bobby Pierce who was Troy's old coach would be a fantastic hire! The dude can coach,

Hasn't he retired? Nothing against old folks, I'm one myself but there comes a time in every life when it's best to relax, get out of the race and enjoy the bourbon on the front porch at sunset.

Hasn't he retired? Nothing against old folks, I'm one myself but there comes a time in every life when it's best to relax, get out of the race and enjoy the bourbon on the front porch at sunset.

Could be but baseball seems to be unique that the coaches/managers don't have to be young guys who can identify with the kids....and all those years of decision making and strategy must pay off....'cause basically the game is unchanged and generally it is a pitcher against a batter. Some of those guys like McKeon, Cox, Torre and many more coached a long time and were pretty crafty.

Used to be college baseball coaches coached forever and schools rode with the ups and downs and didn't complain much...but when the money got big, the leashes got shorter and now there is no patience for a down year as Jack Leggett found out.

Just saying...don't rule anyone out.

Just because he played for Auburn and he's an Auburn, it doesn't make him the best fit for our baseball program. If Dunn if that great, why hasn't some other big name team hired him by now.

So...we gonna get a coach or what?

2 weeks.... ;)/>

I'm hearing we may have a named coach by the end of next week....and it favors Thompson. TIFWIW

That would be fantastic.

My choice would be Bobby Cox if he was 30 years younger. He would be one who has a ton of experience. OK, I am not up to date on the available college coaches out there. Why not offer Vanderbilt's HC the job with a million dollar pay increase over what he now makes?

I was going to say, if we're going to swing for the fences, let's ask Joe Torre or Bobby Cox. Those guys aren't doing anything. And they are pretty good coaches.

Great minds, Doc.

My choice would be Bobby Cox if he was 30 years younger. He would be one who has a ton of experience. OK, I am not up to date on the available college coaches out there. Why not offer Vanderbilt's HC the job with a million dollar pay increase over what he now makes?

I was going to say, if we're going to swing for the fences, let's ask Joe Torre or Bobby Cox. Those guys aren't doing anything. And they are pretty good coaches.

Great minds, Doc.

Torre is over discipline in mlb.

Archived