2016-2017 Basketball Recruiting Board (Updated 11/9/2016)

kwren34

3 hours ago, weathergeakal said:

Didnt see anyone talking about it but Herb Jones and Alex Reese committed to bama.

3 hours ago, weathergeakal said:

Didnt see anyone talking about it but Herb Jones and Alex Reese committed to bama.

Reese eliminated Auburn when we took Okeke.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, AuburnArch13 said:

So are we finished with this class assuming that Obiagu goes either Maryland or Baylor? 

We backed off Ikey a bit ago and no I don't think we are done in this class. I think we bring in a grad transfer after the season.

On 11/22/2016 at 8:03 AM, ellitor said:

We backed off Ikey a bit ago and no I don't think we are done in this class. I think we bring in a grad transfer after the season.

If this is true, then I really hope that we re-consider backing off Ikey. Adding another big is critical to this class. Auburn has been undersized for way too long! We need another 7 footer. Especially a 4* top 50 player in the country. 

• 1 month later...

I think this team is really missing a hard nose player that is willing to do the dirty work. We need a player that will bring intensity on the defensive end by taking charges, protecting the basket, getting tough rebounds, and diving for lose balls. This team has plenty of talent, but we need someone to set the tone for us on the defensive end.

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

This thread needs to update our commitments and roster.

The commits are up to date & the roster is in a different thread.

1 hour ago, Charhair said:

Any more big names that we have a chance at landing? 

The staff is looking around but I think they will go the transfer route or leave 1 or both the last spots open for 2018.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

The staff is looking around but I think they will go the transfer route or leave 1 or both the last spots open for 2018.

Gotcha. And if you don't mind answering, how does that work in bball? Can you carry over however many spots you leave open?

Just now, Charhair said:

Gotcha. And if you don't mind answering, how does that work in bball? Can you carry over however many spots you leave open?

Yes

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Correct me if I am mistaken somewhere in my logic, but I can't see any reason to leave the spot open completely if there are grad transfers available. Since they would be seniors, they would be off the books after a year anyway so taking two grad transfers shouldn't limit the number of 2018 spots we would have would it?

9 minutes ago, AuburnArch13 said:

Correct me if I am mistaken somewhere in my logic, but I can't see any reason to leave the spot open completely if there are grad transfers available. Since they would be seniors, they would be off the books after a year anyway so taking two grad transfers shouldn't limit the number of 2018 spots we would have would it?

No but my point is you don't add bodies to just add bodies you have to think they can contribute. Also Bruce could go with another undergrad transfer like he did with Desean Murray.

Since you mentioned Desean Murray I know he has been practicing with the team similar to the way Danjel Purifoy did last year. How has he looked so far. I know he was an undersized Forward who was very productive at a lower level is the plan to still keep him as a Forward and if so will it be SF or PF? Also with the improvement of the current young players and another Forward coming in next year does he look good enough in practice to earn some PT next year.

17 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Since you mentioned Desean Murray I know he has been practicing with the team similar to the way Danjel Purifoy did last year. How has he looked so far. I know he was an undersized Forward who was very productive at a lower level is the plan to still keep him as a Forward and if so will it be SF or PF? Also with the improvement of the current young players and another Forward coming in next year does he look good enough in practice to earn some PT next year.

I don't have eyes at practice & there have been no reports on how he is doing.

He will stay at foeward because he does not have a guard game.

Can't really classify him as a SF or PF. He's basically an undersized energizer rebounding bunny with a good offensive game from 15 feet in.

Again can't answer since there have been no reports & I don't go to practices.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been pretty disappointed in the wall that Bruce and his staff have hit on the recruiting trail. We had Chuma Okeke, Davion Mitchell, and Austin Wiley all committed pretty early. I thought for sure that we'd been able to add more to this class, especially when Wiley was re-classified to 2016. We desperately need another big man with significant size (I.e. a 2nd player over 6'8). I felt like we could have added a combo guard grad transfer to bring experience to our backcourt. Relying on Bryce Brown as a 3rd point guard does not seem wise to me. He's a shooter and a generator. He's dribbled off his foot and out of bounds on more than one occasion. It would also be nice to add another 3-point shooter that can also make free throws. We still have 2 spots left, so here's hoping that Bruce can fill those spots with some late surprises.

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

I've been pretty disappointed in the wall that Bruce and his staff have hit on the recruiting trail. We had Chuma Okeke, Davion Mitchell, and Austin Wiley all committed pretty early. I thought for sure that we'd been able to add more to this class, especially when Wiley was re-classified to 2016. We desperately need another big man with significant size (I.e. a 2nd player over 6'8). I felt like we could have added a combo guard grad transfer to bring experience to our backcourt. Relying on Bryce Brown as a 3rd point guard does not seem wise to me. He's a shooter and a generator. He's dribbled off his foot and out of bounds on more than one occasion. It would also be nice to add another 3-point shooter that can also make free throws. We still have 2 spots left, so here's hoping that Bruce can fill those spots with some late surprises.

You can't fill what is not available quality wise on the Big man part. On the combo guard we did add the tough & physical Malik Dunbar remember.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/8/2017 at 9:31 AM, aujeff11 said:

Diante Wood commits to Bama. Not good at all.

I'm cool with his sister. She is in Florence alot

On 11/8/2017 at 10:31 AM, aujeff11 said:

Diante Wood commits to Bama. Not good at all.

Never had a committable AU offer FWIW.

Archived