Butch Thompson Heads to Auburn as Head Baseball Coach

I know Butch well... I know Casey very well.

I'll stand behind Butch and wish him the best... hope he does great at AU.

That being said, Casey is a better coach. It's unfortunate that Jay didn't give him a look this time around.

Either way... pretty decent hire!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm proud of Coach Thompson. I stated in the other thread my reservations with hiring him. But, Auburn truly got a great man to lead the program. I hope he proves me wrong. I will be the first person to admit I was wrong if he succeeds. Until then, I wish him the best of luck. WDE CBT.

I just came here to report it as well. Great hire comsidering the situation we are in.

So not just a great hire, just one considering the situation AU is in? What would have been a great hire regardless of the situation AU was in?

So what "situation are we in" ?

We have a team with 8 regulars and a couple very good pitchers coming back from a team that went to an NCAA regional...and a #10 ranked recruiting class coming in. Seems to me that he came into a very good situation....great facility, good roster and pretty good fan support. So what's the negative to the AU coaching job?

He probably meant the whole firing thing

I already like this guy a lot. Welcome Coach!

I think the team will be energized and baseball will become fun for them again. I'm really looking forward to baseball season.

We had some good candidates to choose from. Much better than you might expect given the sudden firing of Golloway and the time of the year. But this was the one I was hoping to get. War Damn Butch!

I just came here to report it as well. Great hire comsidering the situation we are in.

So not just a great hire, just one considering the situation AU is in? What would have been a great hire regardless of the situation AU was in?

We have a team with 8 regulars and a couple very good pitchers coming back from a team that went to an NCAA regional...and a #10 ranked recruiting class coming in. Seems to me that he came into a very good situation....great facility, good roster and pretty good fan support. So what's the negative to the AU coaching job?

Thank you for having common sense. Coaches getting canned during fall practice doesn't happen everyday. And we were fortunate to be able to pick up such a great coach so late in the process. Both points point back to my OP.

Thompson: "I understand skill. 97 is a hard thing to teach."

Thompson on knowing what an SEC player looks like when recruiting: "The brain is still the most important tool."

Thompson: "Pitching and recruiting is what I built my career on. ... I can't become the head coach at Auburn and stop doing my strengths"

This is critical. Auburn baseball has been over matched for a long time. Mississippi State has 12 players on their current roster who played high school or junior college in Alabama (only 8 from Mississippi). He's currently got a '16 kid from the Atlanta area committed to MSU that I've seen throw (strikes at) 98. Maybe he can get him to change his mind in the next 18 days.

http://www.perfectga....aspx?ID=367672

Thank you for having common sense. Coaches getting canned during fall practice doesn't happen everyday. And we were fortunate to be able to pick up such a great coach so late in the process. Both points point back to my OP.

My apologies for inferring that your post was negative, however based on what you have chosen for your signature picture alone one would have to assume that you aren't exactly a positive, or even neutral supporter of Auburn. However, you didn't answer my quesiton.

My apologies for inferring that your post was negative, however based on what you have chosen for your signature picture alone one would have to assume that you aren't exactly a positive, or even neutral supporter of Auburn. However, you didn't answer my quesiton.

What I meant was that it was a great hire, and that we were fortunate to make that great hire about four and half months before the season starts. Likewise, Butch would've been an excellent hire at the end of the season as well. That should sufficiently answer your question this time. And don't judge me over a photograph. That has already led you to false assumptions.

I absolutely love this hire. Great baseball mind, pitching coach mentality, great recruiter, good man. I think Butch puts us in the top of the SEC very soon.

I'm not very big on college baseball, but I want AU to do well.

WDE!!

What I meant was that it was a great hire, and that we were fortunate to make that great hire about four and half months before the season starts. Likewise, Butch would've been an excellent hire at the end of the season as well. That should sufficiently answer your question this time. And don't judge me over a photograph. That has already led you to false assumptions.

There are millions of photographs out there, yet you choose one that reflects poorly on Auburn. Just what do you expect people to think of you?

There are millions of photographs out there, yet you choose one that reflects poorly on Auburn. Just what do you expect people to think of you?

I couldn't care less what you think for one. Number two, the pic has a nice mixture of comedy from trae's face to just an overall great action shot. And besides, if it reflects poorly on Auburn, maybe we shouldn't tackle like that to begin with. Why do you cry so much?

Haven't heard a word about Coach Holllday since he was put on admin leave or something. Any further word....will he be back?

Haven't heard a word about Coach Holllday since he was put on admin leave or something. Any further word....will he be back?

Considering he was part of the reason Golloway was fired I doubt it.

I couldn't care less what you think for one. Number two, the pic has a nice mixture of comedy from trae's face to just an overall great action shot. And besides, if it reflects poorly on Auburn, maybe we shouldn't tackle like that to begin with. Why do you cry so much?

I've wondered myself. Tre was playing with a bad shoulder and doing the best he could. At least he was trying to tackle the guy.

I've wondered myself. Tre was playing with a bad shoulder and doing the best he could. At least he was trying to tackle the guy.

I'm not sure what school teaches that kind of tackle but okay. I changed it. Please move on

Wasn't the OP about Butch Thompson and baseball?.......How did it get hijacked by a couple of guys having a pi****** match over a football picture?

Mods taking the weekend off?

Wasn't the OP about Butch Thompson and baseball?.......How did it get hijacked by a couple of guys having a pi****** match over a football picture?

Mods taking the weekend off?

Yep...... damn Mods

Archived