All Things Darius Slayton (Merged)

Barnacle

When was the last time Auburn had a player play both ways?

Trob maybe. maybe not i think he switched from offense to defense early in his career.

Correct. Played WR in 1999. Switched to DB in 2000.

Coaches said in 1995 that Robert Baker would have been the best DB on the team had he played DB. I believe it considering how little depth and experience we had at DB in 1995.

Were we really hurting that bad for WRs then? Didn't we have Bailey and Goodson and Poor at that time? Maybe I'm thinking a few years after 95 but if he was the best DB........he should've been playing DB?

Yes. Frank Sanders and Thomas Bailey were our go-to WRs in 1994. Goodson and Gosha (Sophs in 95) were largely unproven. Karsten Bailey was a true Freshman in 95...he didn't make his mark until 96. Poor not until 97.

That left Robert Baker as our 3rd best WR. Plus he also was a terrific punt returner. He was the most explosive player on the team. He needed to play offense because he could score. He wasn't called "The Touchdown Maker" for nothin.

Putting Baker solely on defense would have been like FSU putting Peter Warrick and USC putting Reggie Bush on defense...a waste of an immediate scoring threat.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When was the last time Auburn had a player play both ways?

Trob maybe. maybe not i think he switched from offense to defense early in his career.

Correct. Played WR in 1999. Switched to DB in 2000.

Coaches said in 1995 that Robert Baker would have been the best DB on the team had he played DB. I believe it considering how little depth and experience we had at DB in 1995.

Were we really hurting that bad for WRs then? Didn't we have Bailey and Goodson and Poor at that time? Maybe I'm thinking a few years after 95 but if he was the best DB........he should've been playing DB?

Yes. Frank Sanders and Thomas Bailey were our go-to WRs in 1994. Goodson and Gosha (Sophs in 95) were largely unproven. Karsten Bailey was a true Freshman in 95...he didn't make his mark until 96. Poor not until 97.

That left Robert Baker as our 3rd best WR. Plus he also was a terrific punt returner. He was the most explosive player on the team. He needed to play offense because he could score. He wasn't called "The Touchdown Maker" for nothin.

Putting Baker solely on defense would have been like FSU putting Peter Warrick and USC putting Reggie Bush on defense...a waste of an immediate scoring threat.

Thanks for clearing that up. My pre-1997 history is hazy.

In Carlton Davis interview he said Darius Slayton stands out the most out of all the WRs. Watch out this year, Slayton may just be the best receiver we have. Sorry, E no link. Interview is on al.com. He also said that the defense is playing with a lot of intensity, and the goal is to hold opposing offenses to 14 points per game.

Well AU's defenses over the past 8-10 years has allowed offenses to score an average of 24-29 ppg. So if they can cut that in half in just one season then we'll see a miracle in our midst.

Technically, Rudy Ford played both ways. Dude was electric in the one game he was allowed to carry the ball against whatever no name team that was.

Reggie Torbor started as TE and became a good DE.

Trovon Reed also technically played both ways, although when I think both ways I think a two-way starter like Charles Woodson. I hate that its a bygone era.

Technically, Rudy Ford played both ways. Dude was electric in the one game he was allowed to carry the ball against whatever no name team that was.

Rudy Ford - 2013 stats (games he played both ways):

WCU - 2 rushes - 45 yards - 1 TD / 1 assisted tackle

FAU - 4 rushes - 28 yards - 0 TD / 1 assisted tackle

He played as a backup in 2013, but you're right, he played both ways in those 2 games.

Kind of sucks they took the ball out of Ford's hands...

Is he not still a kick returner?

Teams don't kick to him. Had two returns against Kentucky.

He played as a backup in 2013, but you're right, he played both ways in those 2 games.

Hmmm, I can see this point....

Over 12 yards per carry and 1 TD per 6 carries!

Those are some ridiculous stats! (Very limited data)

Pretty awesome when there's not too many carries ain't it?

Pretty awesome when there's not too many carries ain't it?

Yep, that and those carries were against WCU and FAU. Not ready to compare him to Bo or Barry Sanders just yet. ?

In Carlton Davis interview he said Darius Slayton stands out the most out of all the WRs. Watch out this year, Slayton may just be the best receiver we have. Sorry, E no link. Interview is on al.com. He also said that the defense is playing with a lot of intensity, and the goal is to hold opposing offenses to 14 points per game.

Well AU's defenses over the past 8-10 years has allowed offenses to score an average of 24-29 ppg. So if they can cut that in half in just one season then we'll see a miracle in our midst.

I believe the days of holding opponents below 14 points are long gone. I'm a "realistic goal" guy myself. Holding them to 21 or less might be a target that's somewhat within reach, or at least reasonable to think about. I don't think 14 is possible.

I believe the days of holding opponents below 14 points are long gone. I'm a "realistic goal" guy myself. Holding them to 21 or less might be a target that's somewhat within reach, or at least reasonable to think about. I don't think 14 is possible.

Agree, but I love the confidence that Carlton Davis has in our defense.

• 6 months later...

This guy might have the best hands I have ever seen at AU. If he gets his hand on it, he catches it. At least three amazing catches and other impressive ones without a lot of touches. 

He's going to be one hell of a WR for us that is for sure. I mentioned in the game thread he probably has the biggest collection of impressive catches for the year

Archived