All Things Darius Slayton (Merged)

Barnacle

Receiver Darius Slayton limited in return to Auburn spring practice

Wesley Sinor | wsinor@al.com

Wide receiver Darius Slayton returned to the Auburn practice field Thursday, but remains limited as he continues to recover from the hernia surgery he had earlier this year.

The 6-foot-2, 191-pound redshirt sophomore was in full pads during the media's 15-minute viewing period. He did not participate in the pace portion of practice.

"Hoping he can get back as quick as he can," said Auburn offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey. "I'm excited to see him on the field. Obviously I've seen him on film, but haven't had the chance to work with him yet. Looking forward to getting him back sometime."

Slayton is projected to be in the rotation at split end with Kyle Davis, Nate Craig-Myers and Marquis McClain. According to head coach Gus Malzahn, Davis will not be at practice until after spring break (March 10-20) as he deals with "personal business."

With 15 catches for 292 yards, Slayton was Auburn's second-most productive receiver last season behind Tony Stevens. His lone touchdown came in Auburn's 23-16 win over Vanderbilt in early November.

Auburn's practice observations from Tuesday

• 2 months later...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn coaches 'excited' about third-year wide receiver

Auburn wide receiver Darius Slayton (81) completes a pass defended by Auburn defensive back John Broussard Jr. (22) Saturday, April 8, 2017, during the A-Day spring football game at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala. (Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com)
Auburn wide receiver Darius Slayton (81) completes a pass defended by Auburn defensive back John Broussard Jr. (22) Saturday, April 8, 2017, during the A-Day spring football game at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala. (Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com)(Julie Bennett)

2 shares

Tim Hardy believed his young quarterback had just missed a big opportunity.

"I was like, 'Crap, he overthrew him,'" Hardy said. "I was thinking he had just missed an open guy for a huge touchdown."

That play showed the rare speed Darius Slayton has. Not many players could have caught up to that pass. Slayton did, eventually stretching out his right arm and making a one-handed catch in the end zone.

Touchdown. One of three for Slayton in a season-opening 24-21 win over one of the other top teams in Georgia.

"Darius just went and reached a whole 'nother gear and then, at top, top speed, literally caught the nose of the football in his right hand," said Hardy, Slayton's high school coach. "It was one of those ones where you just stood there and wondered: One, how'd he get there? And two, how'd he catch it?"

That speed is part of why Auburn coaches are so enthusiastic about Slayton, a redshirt sophomore wide receiver who appears to be the current leader in the competition to be the Tigers' starting split end. Auburn coaches are also encouraged by the progress Slayton has made in other areas. The belief around the Tigers program is that the 6-foot-2, 190-pound Slayton is set to take another step forward after starting 11 games as a redshirt freshman.

"He looked real good in the spring," wide receivers coach Kodi Burns said, "and he's only going to continue to get better."

Burns has compared Slayton to former Auburn star Sammie Coates.

After redshirting in 2015, the former four-star recruit ranked second on the team last year with 292 receiving yards and caught a go-ahead 21-yard touchdown during the second half of the Tigers' win over Vanderbilt. His 15 catches last season went for an average of 19.5 yards per catch.

"When I first got here, he's a guy that really struggled as far as ball skills and all those different things and route-running, but he's really grown up and developed," said Burns, who has been Auburn's receivers coach since February 2016. "That's one of those guys that I've been talking about, that it just takes some time for these young freshmen to come in and develop and understand what it takes. He's one of those guys that has come a long way. I think we threw it to him --I wanna say --11 or 12 times last year and he caught every single pass, in big situations a lot of them as well."

Like Burns, offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey was pleased with Slayton's play during the spring.

After missing some of the early spring practices while working back from offseason sports hernia surgery, Slayton caught a touchdown in Auburn's first scrimmage and closed out the spring by making three catches for 65 yards during the Tigers' spring game.

His top play was a 46-yard catch down the sideline on a pass from quarterback Jarrett Stidham.

"Really impressed with him," Lindsey said. "I think Darius came back with an attitude of 'Hey, I'm going to try to take a big step this spring.' He had the little setback with the injury. He got back and I really like what he brought. He competed for the ball and came off the ball consistently. And obviously I think he's a guy that can help us stretch the field. He's (also) a better route-runner than people give him credit for."

Speed is a primary asset for Slayton, a former Georgia state champion in the 100- and 200-meter dash. So is his maturity.

During a recent conversation, Slayton told Hardy that a good amount of his free time is spent simply hanging out at his apartment and studying his playbook.

"He's not into the party scene," Hardy said. "He's just a low key, even keel kind of kid. He's excited about his opportunity to go and make some plays there but understands that something has to be earned every single day, so there's no complacency with him. He's eager and hungry to make some plays on Saturday afternoons."

Route running is among the areas Lindsey is looking for continued growth from Slayton.

But, Lindsey said, "he's a guy that can definitely run, and we're excited about him."

Archived