Golloway's Presser

Know nothing here....but it seems interesting that the ones presiding over this also preside over the roller coaster football program. Far too much drama and lack of consistency in the premier athletic programs....

Whoa, easy now.

There was never any indication that this particular coach might not be qualified (unlike Chizik) or a good fit (unlike Barbee). Certainly this caught Jacobs straight out of left field.

Jethro.gif

Agree on CSG....

as for Chiz....if Gus does not get things turned around, do we declare him to have been unqualified?......and Barbee who looked like a good fit to most AU fans when he was hired...up until it turned out he was not a "good fit". I really hate the Monday Morning QBing....easy to be smart after a few years have passed.

Too bad tomcat was not around to tell us about those bad hires when they were made...might have saved us some money and grief.

Know nothing here....but it seems interesting that the ones presiding over this also preside over the roller coaster football program. Far too much drama and lack of consistency in the premier athletic programs....

Whoa, easy now.

There was never any indication that this particular coach might not be qualified (unlike Chizik) or a good fit (unlike Barbee). Certainly this caught Jacobs straight out of left field.

Jethro.gif

I beg to differ, Jacobs jumped on Galloway without doing his homework. There were plenty of indications that Galloway wasn't going to be a good fit. Jacobs just ignored what was obvious. Another indicator that Jacobs was in over his head, BUT is growing into the job.

Whoa, easy now.

Jethro.gif

I beg to differ, Jacobs jumped on Galloway without doing his homework. There were plenty of indications that Galloway wasn't going to be a good fit. Jacobs just ignored what was obvious. Another indicator that Jacobs was in over his head, BUT is growing into the job.

BBM...

Good to see someone else posting this opinion. The trouble started as soon as Golloway got to AU so I'm sure JJ was waiting for an opportunity to rectify his big mistake. But it should've been avoided altogether by looking elsewhere after he fired CJP. I never understood this hire considering all the negatives that Golloway had. I'm relieved that the door can be closed on this guy and AU Baseball can move on to a happier place.

Well...this doesn't look good :dunno: ... https://twitter.com/...879679858728960

Big deal.....some folks like Golloway.....some didn't...but he's gone so that should be that. Would have been better for TM to let it go...

Well...this doesn't look good :dunno: ... https://twitter.com/...879679858728960

Big deal.....some folks like Golloway.....some didn't...but he's gone so that should be that. Would have been better for TM to let it go...

This is more than "some folks" opinion, it would have been easier for Trent to let it go. Easier isn't necessarily better. Jay Jacobs office smells like a third world supermarket, too bad baseball doesn't matter enough for people to ask questions.

This is more than "some folks" opinion, it would have been easier for Trent to let it go. Easier isn't necessarily better. Jay Jacobs office smells like a third world supermarket, too bad baseball doesn't matter enough for people to ask questions.

Gee....I don't know...maybe we could take a poll.....thought that no one was in CSG's corner to read PM's pieces in AUC and many of the comments from people on this forum. Personally, because of what I think of PM I was taking Sunny's side on most of those issues but I seemed to be in the minority.

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your comment but seemed to me that JJ bowed to pressure from parents and players to get rid of Sunny...and he did just that.....though perhaps all the flack was from the previous class of players/parents who have already departed. I guess some could question those issues about illegal practices as to whether those were accurate.

And I'm still wondering what happened to Coach Holliday....i't like he just fell off the earth.

Other than for those people who seem to have a permanent h....uh....dislike for JJ, this is last weeks news....JMO

I don't hate Jay Jacobs. I believe the coaching carousel, subsequent huge buyouts, and particularly the football ticket distribution point to an AD who is unqualified and outright dishonest. Tim Jackson, Rich McGlynn, Jeremy Roberts, Scott Duvall, et al are just as filthy. If you don't think this was a set up just keep reading last weeks news next week (and the next), it's not going away.

I don't hate Jay Jacobs. I believe the coaching carousel, subsequent huge buyouts, and particularly the football ticket distribution point to an AD who is unqualified and outright dishonest. Tim Jackson, Rich McGlynn, Jeremy Roberts, Scott Duvall, et al are just as filthy. If you don't think this was a set up just keep reading last weeks news next week (and the next), it's not going away.

+1

I'm not fan of Golloway's but there's a right way and wrong way to get rid of someone. No matter how much of a jerk Golloway may be, I think he was done wrong.

+1

I'm not fan of Golloway's but there's a right way and wrong way to get rid of someone. No matter how much of a jerk Golloway may be, I think he was done wrong.

And unless you or a couple folks posting here were on the inside when it happened, all you/we know is the side of the aggrieved former employee who is not likely to be most objective source for what went on. Guy gets fired.....claims it was a set-up, was not treated fairly, etc , etc....how many times a day does someone hear that story when a problem employee finally gets what he or she deserves?

Just sayin'.....nobody on here really knows the truth.....and nothing is going to change....except that a couple guys apparently never heard the advice of "don't burn your bridges behind you" .

• 2 weeks later...

Jacobs needs to go period. We need an AD who is professional and can take our programs to the level they need to be. I thought Galloway was a good coach, and was not far from having us back to the Regional and beyond for the future. If all of things they said he did, then he needed to go.

I like Butch Thompson and hope he will be a great coach that will bring the stability that Hal Baird brought to the program.

I guess Jacobs doesn't deserve any credit for our other programs' successes. Last time I checked we were #1 in golf and equestrian. Softball reached the world series. Soccer is in the tourney. And men's basketball is headed to unforseen heights with Pearl. Yet Jacob's name only arises when discussing the failures. Just my $.02.

I guess Jacobs doesn't deserve any credit for our other programs' successes. Last time I checked we were #1 in golf and equestrian. Softball reached the world series. Soccer is in the tourney. And men's basketball is headed to unforseen heights with Pearl. Yet Jacob's name only arises when discussing the failures. Just my $.02.

Those programs don't bring home the bacon so his failures are far more magnified in the big 3. I would also suggest, that while he made the final call on those hires he was not as involved in the entire process. It was more than likely a consultant that brought in the recommendations.

Youre right about those sports not being the bread winners. I guess I'm just tired of the calling for someone's job crowd all together. I find it unfortunate that most jump at every opportunity to call for someone's head but never find the time to give credit where credit is due. Your point remains.

I am very pleased with Golloway's removal, and I'm pleased with Thompson coming on board. It is beyond old the negativity thrown at Jacobs at every opportunity by certain elements on this board.

Those programs don't bring home the bacon so his failures are far more magnified in the big 3. I would also suggest, that while he made the final call on those hires he was not as involved in the entire process. It was more than likely a consultant that brought in the recommendations.

Basketball is one of the big 3, and the success of this new baseball hire has yet to be seen, so judgement is beyond premature. He also used a committee to pick Gus... one made up of some of the most respected people to ever be a part of the football program.

Honestly, Jacobs is just a convenient scapegoat for whenever Auburn isn't performing at the level people want them to. I'd love for someone to name an AD that they can definitively say does a better job. The only thing that I believe was a true failure on Jacobs part was not doing enough to hang onto David Marsh, but the truth is, we couldn't keep him here forever. In nearly every other situation he took a shot on someone with potential, and sometimes, even when it didn't work out, we still got something out of it (Chizik national championship?).

Basketball is one of the big 3, and the success of this new baseball hire has yet to be seen, so judgement is beyond premature. He also used a committee to pick Gus... one made up of some of the most respected people to ever be a part of the football program.

Honestly, Jacobs is just a convenient scapegoat for whenever Auburn isn't performing at the level people want them to. I'd love for someone to name an AD that they can definitively say does a better job. The only thing that I believe was a true failure on Jacobs part was not doing enough to hang onto David Marsh, but the truth is, we couldn't keep him here forever. In nearly every other situation he took a shot on someone with potential, and sometimes, even when it didn't work out, we still got something out of it (Chizik national championship?).

I did not mean to suggest bball was not one of the big three. Just did not acknowledge as it is yet to be proven as a long term home run with no lasting reprocussions. I am really rooting for CBP as I really like his energy and love bball. I do think JJ has done a pretty good job putting himself in the Line of Fire how he's handled a few situations including the baseball deal starting from summer of 2014 to the day Sonny was finally canned, the hiring of Chiz, to his sidekicks of Tim Jackson, etc...

I did not mean to suggest bball was not one of the big three. Just did not acknowledge as it is yet to be proven as a long term home run with no lasting reprocussions. I am really rooting for CBP as I really like his energy and love bball. I do think JJ has done a pretty good job putting himself in the Line of Fire how he's handled a few situations including the baseball deal starting from summer of 2014 to the day Sonny was finally canned, the hiring of Chiz, to his sidekicks of Tim Jackson, etc...

No matter how bad it ended, the hiring of Chizik is never going to be a serious black eye for Jacobs, because he won Auburn's first national championship in almost 50 years. Yea, people can argue that Gus/Cam won it, but no Chizik, no Gus.

Sonny was a train wreck from day 1. We hired him because he was a proven winner and was willing to come, but he came in guns a blazin' and made A LOT of enemies. I've dealt with people like him in the corporate world and they never last long, I don't care how good they are. The truth is, unless you are coming into a program that focuses on winning above all else (see across the state), people skills are as important as coaching ability. Auburn is a family, and mistreating members of the family is a quick way to be shown the door. Add to that a willingness to play a little loose with the rules and the trip out the door will be without any severance.

As for Tim Jackson... I do believe that Auburn could do with a little housecleaning of the behind the scenes staff. Unfortunately, the entire state of Alabama is steeped in the "good ol' boy network" tradition, so getting Auburn past that won't be easy.

Archived