The Mood of the Auburn Fans Around Me at the Ole Miss Game

BHDAU1

Auburn bring in some good young players, get a few of the hurt guys back on the field and Gus will go back to being a genius again.

Normally I would agree, but the first down run up the middle is getting pretty bad. We're running against 9 defenders on first downs, now. We have to be a little less predictable, there.

It just seems so damn easy to fix this?

We were told earlier in the season that Gus does this intentionally early in the season in order to change up the tendancies later in the year and catch opponents off guard. I don't know if folks still feel this way.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn bring in some good young players, get a few of the hurt guys back on the field and Gus will go back to being a genius again.

Normally I would agree, but the first down run up the middle is getting pretty bad. We're running against 9 defenders on first downs, now. We have to be a little less predictable, there.

It just seems so damn easy to fix this?

We were told earlier in the season that Gus does this intentionally early in the season in order to change up the tendancies later in the year and catch opponents off guard. I don't know if folks still feel this way.

we are past "later" now! that play where the corner run blitzed leaving ricardo uncovered should haunt Gus in his sleep.

With all these coaching changes, this is most definitely not the year to fire Gus. I don't want him fired because he still has this team fighting.

The competition for a good coach is going to be tough with all these other schools looking around.

Do you guys honestly believe that Gus will be given another 2 years? We have won 1 SEC game out of the last 8 right? You do remember that Chizik was fired 2 years after winning THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP? I know there were some other problems going on with player discipline but I think Gus has one more year tops to turn this around. If you say the buyout is too much then you haven't been paying attention. Auburn alumni have plenty of money and so does the university. If the powers that be determine that is what they want that is what they will get. To think otherwise would be foolish.

I like to think of Pelini comments that someone recorded and leaked:

Our crowd. What a bunch of f------ fair-weather f------ — they can all kiss my ass out the f------ door. 'Cause the day is f------ coming now. We'll see what they can do when I'm f------ gone.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/9/16/4738270/bo-pelini-rant

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-15/big-ten/2015-nebraska-cornhuskers-football-schedule.php

Auburn people always have and always will go to Auburn games. If we aren't winning then the prices will be adjusted and then those that have been priced out of season tickets will get them and those that come to see friends,family, and enjoy and remember their times at Auburn will come.

Don't hold your breath on that. This AD has "reportedly" operated in the red two straight years, AU is one of the highest tickets to be had in the conference. I can just about guarantee you Jay Jacobs won't be reducing ticket prices because AU isn't winning.

That comment was made in response to the people not showing up comment. You are telling me that his response to people not buying tickets and not coming to games will be to raise the prices?

He won't raise prices, but I doubt he reduces them in light if the fact that he has reported a loss the last two years.

Just my opinion Tex. I don't see JJ cutting prices based on performance of the team or lack of fans purchasing season tickets. AU football has been a roller coaster for a long time, yet ticket prices have increased.

Well to be truthful, if it got to that point of having to cut prices to get people in the seats I don't think JJ would still be here and then one doing it lol.

I wouldn't see this happening after one season now. Talking if we had like 3 losing seasons in a row where attendance could really take the hit.

I hope one time they run the flea flicker on that 1st down play.

There it is!! Gus has employed the longest "run a play to set up another" in the history of football. He will finally unleash the flea flicker in the Iron Bowl on the first play of the game when all 11 defenders and the cameramen crash down to stop what looks like, yet again, Peyton Barber trying to wedge his way into the leg space between Braden Smith's left and Austin Golson's right leg. Only for PB to toss it back to SW. Saban then proceeds to angrily smack Kirby Smart's butt and then in the post game presser blames Kirby for being too focused on coaching vacancies around the country to have properly focused in on Auburn's first down play calling tendencies.

Auburn people always have and always will go to Auburn games. If we aren't winning then the prices will be adjusted and then those that have been priced out of season tickets will get them and those that come to see friends,family, and enjoy and remember their times at Auburn will come.

Don't hold your breath on that. This AD has "reportedly" operated in the red two straight years, AU is one of the highest tickets to be had in the conference. I can just about guarantee you Jay Jacobs won't be reducing ticket prices because AU isn't winning.

Also, don't forget that there are long lines of people who want tickets to Auburn games and can't get them. If people "get fed up" and stop going, then others will just take their place. Everyone knows that we won't be down for long.

There it is!! Gus has been employed the longest "run a play to set up another" in the history of football. He will finally unleash the flea flicker in the Iron Bowl on the first play of the game when all 11 defenders and the cameramen crash down to stop what looks like, yet again, Peyton Barber trying to wedge his way into the leg space between Braden Smith's left and Austin Golson's right leg. Only for PB to toss it back to SW. Saban then proceeds to angrily smack Kirby Smart's butt and then in the post game presser blames Kirby for being too focused on coaching vacancies around the country to have properly focused in on Auburn's first down play calling tendencies.

Lol and don't forget that it will be the media that made Kirby focus and the media that made Saban's players focus on Kirby focusing on other jobs!

Do you guys honestly believe that Gus will be given another 2 years? We have won 1 SEC game out of the last 8 right? You do remember that Chizik was fired 2 years after winning THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP? I know there were some other problems going on with player discipline but I think Gus has one more year tops to turn this around. If you say the buyout is too much then you haven't been paying attention. Auburn alumni have plenty of money and so does the university. If the powers that be determine that is what they want that is what they will get. To think otherwise would be foolish.

I think you are laying it on a little too thick with this whole schtick is what I think and that makes me suspicious. But if your really are an Auburn fan and you cant enjoy an Auburn team that fights the way this one does, a team that has been competitive in every game except 1, then don't go to the games.

This team has none of the characteristics of Gene Chizik's last AU team. The AU boosters may have scades of $$, but have they ponied up the $$ to pay the buyouts of all of the AU ex-coaches? Gus just signed a contract extension with a buyout in the ballpark of $14mm - the man will be here a few more years. And IMHO he should be allowed to remain at minimum 3 more years to learn the job and try to get this program back in the top of the conference.

I think you are laying it on a little too thick with this whole schtick is what I think and that makes me suspicious. But if your really are an Auburn fan and you cant enjoy an Auburn team that fights the way this one does, a team that has been competitive in every game except 1, then don't go to the games.

What are you even talking about???? "laying it on a little too thick" Sometimes I wonder where some of you people even come from. I LOVE Auburn. I graduated from Auburn. If anything is suspicious about anything or anyone, I would say that someone who is OK with losing OFTEN as long as its close or they are competitive is suspicious. Did you graduate from Auburn? If so was it OK if you failed a test as long as you tried hard? I think not if you wanted to succeed! Besides that, again what the hell are you even talking about? I dont want Gus fired and I never implied that. And the post you quoted of mine was asking a QUESTION! I want to know what you think, not what you think of me!!

The most creative we get is a double reverse pass and that requires us running a failed version of a similar play for 7 games, so it only happens like twice a year. A flea flicker would be astronomical.

I started this thread because i went to the game and noticed a decidedly upset crowd around me. I'm not making this up or exaggerating. Maybe by chance I just happened to talk with only people who were upset; its unlikely but possible. I envisioned hearing from others who attended the game who either shared the same experience or something different altogether. Instead I have gotten a bunch of attacks and posts that have a condescending tone to them. Way to go!

What are you even talking about???? "laying it on a little too thick" Sometimes I wonder where some of you people even come from. I LOVE Auburn. I graduated from Auburn. If anything is suspicious about anything or anyone, I would say that someone who is OK with losing OFTEN as long as its close or they are competitive is suspicious. Did you graduate from Auburn? If so was it OK if you failed a test as long as you tried hard? I think not if you wanted to succeed! Besides that, again what the hell are you even talking about? I dont want Gus fired and I never implied that. And the post you quoted of mine was asking a QUESTION! I want to know what you think, not what you think of me!!

What am I talking about ? I told you don't go to the game, that's not hard to understand. You think that if someone disagrees with your routine that means they are ok with losing ? Far from it. I'm disappointed when we lose, all AU people are, most especially the TEAM and the COACHES. Your comment on that is nothing but a defensive retort. But fyi, here are some of things I am ok with.

I'm ok with building a team for the future. I'm ok with a coach that can have his QB blow up in his face, have to start over in the 4th game with a Freshman QB and keep pressing ahead. I'm ok with a coach who can keep a team fighting and being competitive after all that happened. I'm ok with watching an Auburn team getting better every week and coming back to fight again and again.

Yes, you are laying this on way too thick and your intent is pretty obvious. Here is a hint, if you are going to troll don't use so many cliches. It's a dead give away.

Lol what was the class and who was the instructor?

Academics is a bad comparison. Just cause one got an A in a class does not mean they learned anything, were challenged, or were even tested. Is a reason things like RateMyProfessor are so widely used.

I started this thread because i went to the game and noticed a decidedly upset crowd around me. I'm not making this up or exaggerating. Maybe by chance I just happened to talk with only people who were upset; its unlikely but possible. I envisioned hearing from others who attended the game who either shared the same experience or something different altogether. Instead I have gotten a bunch of attacks and posts that have a condescending tone to them. Way to go!

And the thread was doing fine until you added a comment about how you spent too much money to see a loss, at which point people started nit-picking everything you said that was opinion and not fact. That's how these boards work. I tried to start a thread last week about the mentality of a player who caused a serious injury to another player and ended up deleting it when Golf, of all people, used it as an opportunity to take a potshot at one of our players.

Welcome to the world of message boards, bring your own armor.

And the thread was doing fine until you added a comment about how you spent too much money to see a loss, at which point people started nit-picking everything you said that was opinion and not fact. That's how these boards work. I tried to start a thread last week about the mentality of a player who caused a serious injury to another player and ended up deleting it when Golf, of all people, used it as an opportunity to take a potshot at one of our players.

You are right I should have known better. But I was upset imediately after the game after spending so much money and talking up how wonderful Auburn was to my soon-to-be wife who had never been to Auburn before. Between the 11am start time and the loss it put everyone in a bad mood to a degree. Like I said before, I still had a great time except for the game outcome. I do honestly believe that the cost of coming to these games will keep people away if we continue to lose. Not everyone mind you, but a good chunk. Its the same principle as when we are winning. A lot more people are willing to spend big bucks on tickets, etc. when we are having a good season and the likelihood of seeing a win is greater. Why would anyone argue with that principle?

You are right I should have known better. But I was upset imediately after the game after spending so much money and talking up how wonderful Auburn was to my soon-to-be wife who had never been to Auburn before. Between the 11am start time and the loss it put everyone in a bad mood to a degree. Like I said before, I still had a great time except for the game outcome. I do honestly believe that the cost of coming to these games will keep people away if we continue to lose. Not everyone mind you, but a good chunk. Its the same principle as when we are winning. A lot more people are willing to spend big bucks on tickets, etc. when we are having a good season and the likelihood of seeing a win is greater. Why would anyone argue with that principle?

If you think the only (or major thing) that makes AU great is winning a football game, I gotta say that you have some seriously misplaced priorities. As for spending money to see a win or loss...I understand that half the teams that play will lose every week....and somehow, fans of most of those schools are able to carry on with their lives and show up for the next game their team plays.

JMO but if seeing a winning game is what is most important about going to the game, ....get tickets to the Idaho game....much cheaper and pretty high odds to see an AU victory and you can enjoy the game day experience before and after the game. ...sounds like a win-win-win to me.

I do honestly believe that the cost of coming to these games will keep people away if we continue to lose. Not everyone mind you, but a good chunk. Its the same principle as when we are winning. A lot more people are willing to spend big bucks on tickets, etc. when we are having a good season and the likelihood of seeing a win is greater. Why would anyone argue with that principle?

I call it the Disney principle... which I'm certain is going to be studied in marketing/economics for years to come. They raise the prices for their theme parks annually, to the point where it's gotten outrageous and far surpassed their competition. At the same time, the upkeep and quality of their parks has notoriously gone down at a similar rate. Still, every year, they break their attendance records. Why... I honestly am not entirely sure, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the fact that people love Disney.

The same could be said for Auburn. With 45,000 members of the alumni association, probably a good 100k alumni that aren't members, and thousands of lifelong fans who never attended Auburn, plus visiting fans, I don't think they will ever have trouble finding 87,500 to fill the stadium for SEC games unless they just flat out stop trying.

If you think the only (or major thing) that makes AU great is winning a football game, I gotta say that you have some seriously misplaced priorities. As for spending money to see a win or loss...I understand that half the teams that play will lose every week....and somehow, fans of most of those schools are able to carry on with their lives and show up for the next game their team plays.

JMO but if seeing a winning game is what is most important about going to the game, ....get tickets to the Idaho game....much cheaper and pretty high odds to see an AU victory and you can enjoy the game day experience before and after the game. ...sounds like a win-win-win to me.

LOL talk about missing my point completely. Is this really what you have gotten out of this thread? That I only enjoy Auburn if we win and I expect AU to win every game I go to? Geez........

So I got to go to my first Auburn game this season this last weekend for the Ole Miss game and like always, I had a wonderful time other than the outcome this week of the game. The town of Auburn seems to grow exponentially every time I get down there! I sat in section 8, 4 rows up from the field and I had all Auburn fans around me except for maybe 4 Ole Miss fans a few rows back. I can tell you guys without a doubt that it seemed like everyone around me was questioning what Gus is thinking with his play calls and the collective sighs and "oh brothers" were clearly audible in the stadium on several occasions. There were even some boos which I have rarely ever heard in Jordan Hare in all the years I have been going to games. Without an exception everyone I talked to at length either around me at the game or in the restaurants/bars after the game is getting fed up with mainly 2 gripes: #1. Putting JJ in the game at any time. All that I spoke with thinks that it screws up the flow of the offense for SW, AND that he is liability to turn it over every time he has the ball in his hands. #2. The dreaded 1st down run up the middle seemingly every time Auburn gets a first down the next play is up the middle. Those I spoke to as well as myself, cannot figure out why Gus continues to do that. The opposing teams know it too, and the d-ends crash down and the secondary is on the way to the line of scrimmage the second the ball is snapped. I dont know the stats as fact, but my memory would say that it more often than not ends with at most a 2 yrd gain, and more likely no gain or a loss. I guess the main point of this thread is that the feeling I got was that Gus is losing support every game right now and if he doesn't start changing some things up and breaking habits then the support will continue to wither away and we all know what happens when the fans stop showing up. I hope Gus can get this turned around but I don't see him having more than one more season to do so before the fans are all against him. Just my .02 cents from the many, many, conversations I had with Auburn fans.

Stands were packed. Game was sold out...

One more year??? Dude please....

So I got to go to my first Auburn game this season this last weekend for the Ole Miss game and like always, I had a wonderful time other than the outcome this week of the game. The town of Auburn seems to grow exponentially every time I get down there! I sat in section 8, 4 rows up from the field and I had all Auburn fans around me except for maybe 4 Ole Miss fans a few rows back. I can tell you guys without a doubt that it seemed like everyone around me was questioning what Gus is thinking with his play calls and the collective sighs and "oh brothers" were clearly audible in the stadium on several occasions. There were even some boos which I have rarely ever heard in Jordan Hare in all the years I have been going to games. Without an exception everyone I talked to at length either around me at the game or in the restaurants/bars after the game is getting fed up with mainly 2 gripes: #1. Putting JJ in the game at any time. All that I spoke with thinks that it screws up the flow of the offense for SW, AND that he is liability to turn it over every time he has the ball in his hands. #2. The dreaded 1st down run up the middle seemingly every time Auburn gets a first down the next play is up the middle. Those I spoke to as well as myself, cannot figure out why Gus continues to do that. The opposing teams know it too, and the d-ends crash down and the secondary is on the way to the line of scrimmage the second the ball is snapped. I dont know the stats as fact, but my memory would say that it more often than not ends with at most a 2 yrd gain, and more likely no gain or a loss. I guess the main point of this thread is that the feeling I got was that Gus is losing support every game right now and if he doesn't start changing some things up and breaking habits then the support will continue to wither away and we all know what happens when the fans stop showing up. I hope Gus can get this turned around but I don't see him having more than one more season to do so before the fans are all against him. Just my .02 cents from the many, many, conversations I had with Auburn fans.

Stands were packed. Game was sold out...

I know the game was sold out. They announced it and everything.

I think it comes down to people not knowing wtf they are seeing IMO. There's more to coaching a team than calling a few plays and winning all the games. This years team has had a lot of adversity thrown its way very early in the season and is slowly overcoming it and continuing to fight. That speaks volumes to me and has way more clout than disgruntled fans that don't agree with play calling. Let's not forget, if a few plays had different outcomes this team would be 7-1 or 6-2. We're not getting embarrassed on the field like 2012. Team play has improved week to week despite all the adversity and that's the coaches goals despite what fan expectations are or were before the season began. The coaches nor the players have given up and it shows on the field despite the W-L column, why the hell are the fans? It's embarrassing to read some of the fans comments on social media. The majority don't have a friggin clue what they are talking about, just spouting bull**** and it only tears the team down more. Get behind the team or get the hell out. WDE

Archived