24 Black Missouri Football Players Will Boycott Football Activities

cptau

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

White privilege doesn't exist. If you are an American, you are privileged, no matter your 1/16" of skin color.

Patently ridiculous

The beginnings of all this is unhappiness by Missouri grad student workers over their loss of university subsidized health insurance this fall. They lost the subsidies based on the IRS rules imposed by the Afordable Care Act, obamacare...........

https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/GradInsurance?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/news/higher_education/graduate-students-still-frustrated-hold-grade-in/article_d1138f9a-735f-11e5-8671-e341e1dcb21c.html

Graduate student workers have a union and are represented by the UAW. The main organizers of this movement at Missouri are graduate students. Throwing race into the mix with a few demonstrations gets more attention.

Now other groups include the football team and their coach are supporting it. A football coach that is probably going to be fired for his on field lack of success. Missouri is 4 and 5 and will probably lose their last three games.

The beginnings of all this is unhappiness by Missouri grad student workers over their loss of university subsidized health insurance this fall. They lost the subsidies based on the IRS rules imposed by the Afordable Care Act, obamacare...........

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/news/higher_education/graduate-students-still-frustrated-hold-grade-in/article_d1138f9a-735f-11e5-8671-e341e1dcb21c.html

Graduate student workers have a union and are represented by the UAW. The main organizers of this movement at Missouri are graduate students. Throwing race into the mix with a few demonstrations gets more attention.

Now other groups include the football team and their coach are supporting it. A football coach that is probably going to be fired for his on field lack of success. Missouri is 4 and 5 and will probably lose their last three games.

That is interesting.

Statement from Pres. Wolfe: he is obviously not resigning.

http://www.umsystem.edu/ums/news/leadership_news/110815_statement

Why is Wolfe the scapegoat for these incidents?

Apparently it's because he's white, he's got all that privilege and stuff.

And he's not making life easy for them with subsidized health insurance. I think he's a cost cutter too and the academics are not happy with him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/GradInsurance?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

And he's not making life easy for them with subsidized health insurance. I think he's a cost cutter too and the academics are not happy with him.

https://mobile.twitt...f_src=twsrc^tfw

He was following legislation set forth by the Affordable Care Act that went into effect July 1. "An IRS ruling on the Affordable Care Act that took effect July 1 made it illegal for businesses to reimburse or give employees subsidies to buy individual health insurance."

http://www.columbiam...afdfabb020.html

So, abiding by the ACA makes him ... what ? Indifferent to the needs of minorities ?

Good grief !

Upon further review of all " demands ", I declare these folks bat guano crazy.

They want the President to apologize, in public, and then resign ?

Hey 1950 folks... go *bleep* yourselves !

Anyone ( students / athletes ) who plays along w/ this boycott, buh-bye !

This is nothing less than a full blown shake down, and a pure hustle for power. Nothing else.

Upon further review of all " demands ", I declare these folks bat guano crazy.

They want the President to apologize, in public, and then resign ?

Hey 1950 folks... go *bleep* yourselves !

Anyone ( students / athletes ) who plays along w/ this boycott, buh-bye !

This is nothing less than a full blown shake down, and a pure hustle for power. Nothing else.

I agree. And the coach is playing along with it it seems.

Seems like a mess.

Thomas Jefferson was not a racist or a rapist. He's the complete OPPOSITE!

Anyway, I don't see people at the top surviving this. Some of it deservingly so.

Statement from Pinkel & Rhoades

"Today, Sunday, there will be no football practice or formal team activities. Our focus right now is on the health of Jonathan Butler, the concerns of our student-athletes and working with our community to address this serious issue. After meeting with the team this morning, it is clear they do not plan to return to practice until Jonathan resumes eating. We are continuing to have department, campus, and student meetings as we work through this issue and will provide further comment tomorrow afternoon."

White privilege doesn't exist. If you are an American, you are privileged, no matter your 1/16" of skin color.

One can be privileged in more than one way at a time. White privilege does exist. To pretend otherwise is to live with one's head stuck in the sand.

Liberal privilege exists as well....... ;) jk

This is a mess....and if it works I expect random attempts of this to happen all across America. There are "some" who would like to make the whites of today pay for the transgressions of whites in the past. It's just a cold, hard fact.

Nixon the Missouri governor issues statement.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/latest-missouri-protests-gov-jay-nixon-weighs-35058956

Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon says the University of Missouri must address concerns over "racism and intolerance."

The Democratic governor issued his statement on Sunday, a day after 32 black football players announced they will not participate in team activities until university President Tim Wolfe is removed.

Student groups have protested the way Wolfe has handled matters of race and discrimination on the campus in Columbia, and one black graduate student is on a hunger strike.

Nixon's statement says the concerns must be dealt with so that the school is "a place where all students can pursue their dreams in an environment of respect, tolerance and inclusion."

-----------------------------------------------

This is the same governor that held the Missouri national guard out of ferguson as it was being looted and burned.

Same governor who twitted a photo of himself voting and a woman next to him voting who was slightly exposed.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/11/04/missouri-governor-jay-nixon-tweets-woman-butt/18475787/

Liberal privilege exists as well....... ;)/> jk

This is a mess....and if it works I expect random attempts of this to happen all across America. There are "some" who would like to make the whites of today pay for the transgressions of whites in the past. It's just a cold, hard fact.

The term "wear out your welcome" comes to mind. A lot of people are very tired of this constant race card playing. They may have their say a year from now at the polls.

i skimmed the story. i only caught that someone(a random person) yelled racist remarks..... on two occasions.....? is this correct?

This reminds me of a similar incident at the University of Wyoming in the late 60's or early 70's. That incident involved black players boycotting the Cowboys game with Brigham Young because at that time BYU had no black players. The players who boycotted happened to be the Cowboys best players. Wyoming would end up losing the game. But when they returned from their one game hiatus they were informed by head coach Lloyd Eaton they were no longer a part of the team. I don't know what happened to the dismissed players but it would eventually cost Eaton his job. I still find it hard to understand why Eaton had to pay the price for another school's policy.

All I can find is that they don't think he has done enough or didn't act fast enough. Mean the guy at the square was identified and removed from the university, and starting in the Spring Semester all freshmen entering Missouri will have to take basically a sensitivity class as part of their requirement.

Butler said the demand for Wolfe's removal from office was made because of the president's failure to respond sincerely and actively to student concerns about discrimination on campus

It seems like the Missouri students needed someone to blame so they picked the President of the school to be their casualty. And I wonder if Ferguson has spilled over into this situation.

It has actually. In one article I read the same kid discussed the fact that the incident was 2 hours away and nothing was being done on campus about it.

i skimmed the story. i only caught that someone(a random person) yelled racist remarks..... on two occasions.....? is this correct?

You missed the swastika written on a wall in poo.

You missed the swastika written on a wall in poo.

Which requires the President's resignation .... why ?

Anyone do a DNA test on the fecal matter ? I'd like to know what those results would be. If it turned out to be that from a 1950's club member, how the more interesting things would be.

Archived