Gus is a not a QB coach

Lowrider

Neither is Lashlee, Cam was the best thing that ever happened to Gus. Todd was a transfer, Cam was a transfer, Marshall was a transfer. Every single HS QB that Gus has coached has under achieved going back to Mitch Mustain. I know White is still a work in progress and is injured right now. Why should we have any confidence in Gus developing Qbs.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This offense requires a true dual-threat QB, and I haven't seen anything from either White or Johnson that says they are. Neither can run well. Johnson is OK, but White hasn't shown anything. JMHO

Chris Todd broke all kinds of Auburn O records. He had bathtub mobility. This "Gus needs a dual threat QB" thing is a myth, IMO. He needs an accurate QB and a solid running game. We have the solid running game, until we decide to go away from it.

Chris Todd broke all kinds of Auburn O records. He had bathtub mobility. This "Gus needs a dual threat QB" thing is a myth, IMO. He needs an accurate QB and a solid running game. We have the solid running game, until we decide to go away from it.

Chris Todd wasn't developed by Gus though. That is the bigger issue I think that people have questions about.

The obvious solution is to remove Lashlee and hire a competent QB/OC coach. Malzahn has proven he is capable when he has a solid QB. The defense is finally showing signs of life and not just from Lawson. Quarterbacks are obviously a weakness for Malzahn and I hope he is not too stubborn to admit that to himself and will make the necessary changes to fix this team.

If Gus can't develop a QB, then turn it over to Craig. WTH is the problem with giving that duty to a coach already on staff that has experience?

The point was..........he was not a dual threat QB.

That was eons ago, back when this offense was still a novelty. It should also be mentioned that that Chris Todd offense was stopped by pretty much every good team we played, hence "setting records" is a giant exaggeration as it was more or less done by beating up on the inferior teams on our schedule.

Todd was developed by Texas Tech who was throwing for nearly 5000 yards a season back then.

Ugh don't open up this can of worms again. Yes, he set tons of records except the ones that matters most.

Todd was developed by Texas Tech who was throwing for nearly 5000 yards a season back then.

I think the point here is that he can't develop a passing QB himself. Any QB that learns under him need to be a runner.

Gus helped Todd throw those 20 yard rainbow balls

You could not be more right.

So Georgia walks the safeties up and we freaking panic from play calling standpoint. So predictable it makes me want to puke.

That was eons ago, back when this offense was still a novelty. It should also be mentioned that that Chris Todd offense was stopped by pretty much every good team we played, hence "setting records" is a giant exaggeration as it was more or less done by beating up on the inferior teams on our schedule.

In 2009 we were 12th in the nation in rushing yards, 52nd in passing yards

This offense requires a true dual-threat QB, and I haven't seen anything from either White or Johnson that says they are. Neither can run well. Johnson is OK, but White hasn't shown anything. JMHO

HUGE MYTH. Chris Todd says hello. Pretty sure the OP has made this exact thread word for word already this season. I guess he's got the copy/paste function down pretty well.

HUGE MYTH. Chris Todd says hello. Pretty sure the OP has made this exact thread word for word already this season. I guess he's got the copy/paste function down pretty well.

No i've never posted this, I'm sure you hate the fact that I'm 100% correct. I'll leave now my points are valid.

I don't think it requires one, either. However, if given the choice. I would choose to have an athletic quarterback. It's just an added threat that makes you harder to defend. We are recruiting that way, so that at least gives us a window into what Gus thinks.

There you go being right again. Chris Todd is your argument. The OP is pretty much dead on.

Archived