'16 RHP Alex Speas

Looks like Thompson pulled his first recruit away from MSU. Power arm (from McEachern HS in metro Atlanta) tops out at 97-98 mph. Not sure he'll wind up on a college campus but this would be a big get if so.

http://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=367672

• 6 months later...

Probably won't get to see him in orange and blue.....

30 Texas Alex Speas RHP McEachern HS (GA)

From MLB Draft Countdown https://mlbdraftcountdown.wordpress.com/2016/05/17/2016-mlb-mock-draft-5-1-51716/

Projected even higher on the MLB website.

97/98 mph fastball?!! He throws harder than maybe 2 ir 3 guys in the major leagues now?? If that is correct and he has control and ball movement there is not a chance he goes to college.

97/98 mph fastball?!! He throws harder than maybe 2 ir 3 guys in the major leagues now?? If that is correct and he has control and ball movement there is not a chance he goes to college.

He's not the only one we may lose from the class. Davis Daniel is projected in the top 3 rounds last I saw.

Don't these players understand that it is in our best interest for them to come to auburn ... All that money can wait on us can't it!

Surely they know the auburn college experience is priceless!

Yea, there's no way we see Speas. I can only hope my Padres get him.

Prefer it be my Braves or Cubs.

How is the recruiting going for next year? I know that 2 kids from my hometown, that just won back-to-back state championships, are coming to Auburn.

How is the recruiting going for next year? I know that 2 kids from my hometown, that just won back-to-back state championships, are coming to Auburn.

Last I looked, Perfect Game had AU with a top 25 recruiting class (counting only high schoolers). However, I'm guessing the picture won't become crystal clear until after the Draft in June. By then, we should know who's going to make it on campus and who's signed a Major League contract

I know this kid seems to have big league prospects but seems that every year Fla, Vandy and a few other schools are able to bring in some of those 95+ mph kids on scholarship. It's not a given that because he's highly regarded that he will take the money.

Hoping Butch's reputation as a pitching coach can mean that in the future it will not be automatic that a guy like this will go professional. There are several first round draft choices in the SEC now....would be nice for us to learn the secret and bring a couple to AU.

I know this kid seems to have big league prospects but seems that every year Fla, Vandy and a few other schools are able to bring in some of those 95+ mph kids on scholarship. It's not a given that because he's highly regarded that he will take the money.

Hoping Butch's reputation as a pitching coach can mean that in the future it will not be automatic that a guy like this will go professional. There are several first round draft choices in the SEC now....would be nice for us to learn the secret and bring a couple to AU.

95+ doesn't necessarily equate to first round draft pick for everyone. And while it is true, some kids go get the college experience, more and more, if you're a first round talent, you take the money. I will see if I can find the source of a statistic I've read, but something like 98% of high schoolers drafted in the first round sign out of high school.

Also, it seems Speas is ready to go anyway.

http://www.the3rdmanin.com/alex-speas-hopes-get-drafted-june/

“At the end of my high school year, I will hopefully go off and get drafted and play in professional baseball,” Speas said.

95+ doesn't necessarily equate to first round draft pick for everyone. And while it is true, some kids go get the college experience, more and more, if you're a first round talent, you take the money. I will see if I can find the source of a statistic I've read, but something like 98% of high schoolers drafted in the first round sign out of high school.

Also, it seems Speas is ready to go anyway.

http://www.the3rdman...t-drafted-june/

“At the end of my high school year, I will hopefully go off and get drafted and play in professional baseball,” Speas said.

I agree about first round picks but there are lots of pitchers are projected in the upper rounds that end up at major SEC schools . I also agree that 95 plus it's not the only factor . But watching the Aggies , and Vanderbilt , and Florida to mention a few keep rolling out pitchers from their staff and bullpen throwing in the upper 90s … Just seems that Auburn should be able to bring in similar talent.

Archived