New Williams and Danjel Purifoy

Turd Ferguson

Yup, you just have to be 1 year removed from HS to declare for the NBA draft. He could've gone to Europe this season and been paid and actually got a chance to play and then come back for the NBA next year.

I can see why he might have decided to give it a try at AU this year ...close to home and BP being a good coach and all....but just wondering..... considering that has not worked out, whether he might take a look at Plan B.

And another question...if he stays after his first year "of college" can he still go anytime or would he have to stay until his junior year ?

The NBA rules as regards HS and college players is a bit confusing to me....never sure what's approved by the NCAA ...or by the NBA.

He is eligible for the NBA draft starting his second year out our high school. That is the rule regardless of whether he goes to college, Europe, or sits at home for a year. That is an NBA rule, not a college one, and it doesn't matter how long he stays at college past his 1st year, he is eligible at any time after that. With that said, I find it incredibly unlikely that he'd opt for the draft after this year, considering how few players actually get drafted and make an NBA roster every year.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I asked this in a separate topic but was referred here. I still don't see the answer to my question. Does anyone know if Purifoy if actually enrolled and showing up for classes this semester. I believe classes started yesterday.

I asked this in a separate topic but was referred here. I still don't see the answer to my question. Does anyone know if Purifoy if actually enrolled and showing up for classes this semester. I believe classes started yesterday.

If not, he has till February 3rd to register.

I highly doubt Purifoy would declare. He would've been drafted out of high school if that were the case. No NBA will want to put a draft pick on him if he hasn't played a minute of college ball. If he want drafted out of HS, that meant he wasn't thought of as that Caliber of a player yet. So why would a year go by without him playing and he be drafted? I think he'd be good enough, but we still haven't seen him play 1 second.

What are you talking about? The rule is that you have to be out of highschool for a year. So he not being drafted means nothing but he was not eligible.

If he's good enough he'll be drafted. Enes Kanter, the #3 overall pick in 2011, was on Kentucky's team but was ineligible due to some snag of him getting impermissible benefits or something like that for playing basketball in his home country Turkey even though he was <18 years old. Very limited film -- he didn't play one second for Kentucky -- but the Utah Jazz picked him as their first pick that year. Not exactly the same circumstances but if you're good enough the NBA will find a place for you. And Kentucky offered Purifoy, if I'm not mistaken, and they don't offer anybody but guys who have next level potential.

That being said, I think Kanter's film from playing in Turkey against pro ballers gave more of an idea of his ability than Purifoy's high school film.

He is enrolled an practicing with the team. Been that way since the fall

Archived