New Williams and Danjel Purifoy

Turd Ferguson

If they are unable to afford proper staffing, then they should be either removed or replaced. Surely they are connected to the NCAA somehow and there is plenty of money in the NCAA to pay for a staff to verify fraud cases (should be a pretty important issue)

I don't know of any connection. Every high school student in the US takes the ACT or some similar test. Their scores help determine what colleges they may be accepted into. That this affects athletics is a by-product that the ACT does not care about. Potential college athletes are probably less than 1% of the kids that take their tests.

Here's a weird thought, though. Isn't Purifoy enrolled in school? If so, then his ACT scores were cleared for that, which would mean it has to be an NCAA issue.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ That's what I don't get. He obviously did everything he needed to to get admitted to the university. What happens if his isn't eligible because of fraudulent SAT scores? Can AU retroactively deny him entry into the school? I'm kind of confused. I know NCAA reqs for a student athlete to get into X school are much different than non-student athlete in terms of being accepted to a school. Either way, I don't think this situation is going to end the way we want it to for this season. I mean what are the chances that he actually blew off studying for the ACT the first time knowing damn well he needed a certain score to be able to play college bball anywhere?

If only we had John Calipari. He would've taken the test for Danjel himself.

Lol just kidding

If they are unable to afford proper staffing, then they should be either removed or replaced. Surely they are connected to the NCAA somehow and there is plenty of money in the NCAA to pay for a staff to verify fraud cases (should be a pretty important issue)

I don't know of any connection. Every high school student in the US takes the ACT or some similar test. Their scores help determine what colleges they may be accepted into. That this affects athletics is a by-product that the ACT does not care about. Potential college athletes are probably less than 1% of the kids that take their tests.

Here's a weird thought, though. Isn't Purifoy enrolled in school? If so, then his ACT scores were cleared for that, which would mean it has to be an NCAA issue.

Auburn U. can pretty much admit anyone Auburn U. wants to admit. Many, if not most athletes have admission records that wouldn't get Joe High School into Auburn, yet here they are. Purifoy the student could be admitted to Auburn and if there turns out to be a problem later, it's Auburn's business to clean it up. Purifoy the athlete, however, would turn into an NCAA problem and get us in trouble if he plays. There's the difference.

Ugh come on NCAA clear Purifoy already

This has NOTHING to do with the NCAA. Did you even read the thread? This is not an NCAA issue. He's already been cleared by the NCAA or he wouldn't be enrolled at Auburn or practicing. The NCAA has nothing to do with this.

This has NOTHING to do with the NCAA. Did you even read the thread? This is not an NCAA issue. He's already been cleared by the NCAA or he wouldn't be enrolled at Auburn or practicing. The NCAA has nothing to do with this.

No need to be a jerk. Especially when you're wrong:

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburnauthority/2015/11/10/pearl-says-danjel-puriofy-still-not-cleared-ncaa/75512350/

http://www.montgomer...-ncaa/75512350/

I wasn't being a jerk. It's been stated in the thread already what the hold up here is. Also, I'm NOT wrong. The NCAA has NOTHING to do with this. This is an ACT issue NOT an ncaa issue.

I wasn't being a jerk. It's been stated in the thread already what the hold up here is. Also, I'm NOT wrong. The NCAA has NOTHING to do with this. This is an ACT issue NOT an ncaa issue.

It appears the NCAA is willing to defer to the ACT folks, but ACT doesn't rule on he eligibility to play basketball, the NCAA does. Supposedly, he will either 1) play immediately if the ACT accepts the score, or 2) be deemed a partial qualifier and be eligible next year. Do you have information to the contrary?

It appears the NCAA is willing to defer to the ACT folks, but ACT doesn't rule on he eligibility to play basketball, the NCAA does. Supposedly, he will either 1) play immediately if the ACT accepts the score, or 2) be deemed a partial qualifier and be eligible next year. Do you have information to the contrary?

He's already be cleared by the NCAA. If he hadn't, he wouldn't be on scholarship, taking classes and practicing with the team. The ACT flagged his test score increase not the ncaa.

He's already be cleared by the NCAA. If he hadn't, he wouldn't be on scholarship, taking classes and practicing with the team. The ACT flagged his test score increase not the ncaa.

If he was fully cleared by the NCAA, wouldn't he be playing? The ACT doesn't determine that. The NCAA relies on the ACT, but they make the call. At this point, the NCAA is treating him like someone with an inadequate ACT score-- a partial qualifier allowed to be on scholarship.

You have to be right. If this wasn't an NCAA issue, I'd have to think Purifoy would be playing right now. Because what violations could occur if the NCAA isn't involved! Doesn't make sense to say the NCAA isn't involved but Purifoy is sitting out because the ACT doesn't have the power to punish the athlete's eligibility.

The NCAA has to defer to the ACT thus making it an NCAA and an ACT issue.

If he was fully cleared by the NCAA, wouldn't he be playing? The ACT doesn't determine that. The NCAA relies on the ACT, but they make the call. At this point, the NCAA is treating him like someone with an inadequate ACT score-- a partial qualifier allowed to be on scholarship.

Not inadequate score but a significant enough increase that caused the ACT to flag it. All requirements have been met according to the NCAA. Without the ACT flagging it, he would have been playing from the beginning.

Not inadequate score but a significant enough increase that caused the ACT to flag it. All requirements have been met according to the NCAA. Without the ACT flagging it, he would have been playing from the beginning.

His first score was inadequate. The second score has yet to be accepted. At this point, the only approved score for the ncaa to consider is the first one.

I've been informed by someone that might actually know something that it was Auburn University that called the second ACT score to their attention. We could have ignored it and played him but.... Had some ACT misconduct come to light later we'd be forfeiting the games he played in.

So, it's not the NCAA that's holding things up, it's the ACT board.

I've been informed by someone that might actually know something that it was Auburn University that called the second ACT score to their attention. We could have ignored it and played him but.... Had some ACT misconduct come to light later we'd be forfeiting the games he played in.

What you said in the first paragraph isn't inconsistent with a thing I've said. Bruce has said at the very least, the NCAA is viewing him as a partial qualifier. We may have brought the ACT increase to both parties' attention in an abundance of caution, but now the NCAA appears to be waiting on the ACT to rule before giving a definitive green light to playing now.

If ACT misconduct came up and if this isn't an NCAA issue, then why would we be forfeiting games? I don't think the ACT has power to make us forfeit games. Only the NCAA.

If ACT misconduct came up and if this isn't an NCAA issue, then why would we be forfeiting games? I don't think the ACT has power to make us forfeit games. Only the NCAA.

We haven't done anything wrong. The NCAA isn't involved. Play a guy who later turns out to be ineligible and that's when the NCAA becomes involved. They don't care who we admit into Auburn University or why, that none of their business. Put him in an NCAA game and that's when it becomes their business.

Our compliance department has been accused of being over zealous any in any number of cases. I never appreciated them until the Cam Newton fiasco. Suddenly they became heroes because all the I's were dotted and all the T's were crossed.

We haven't done anything wrong. The NCAA isn't involved. Play a guy who later turns out to be ineligible and that's when the NCAA becomes involved. They don't care who we admit into Auburn University or why, that none of their business. Put him in an NCAA game and that's when it becomes their business.

Our compliance department has been accused of being over zealous any in any number of cases. I never appreciated them until the Cam Newton fiasco. Suddenly they became heroes because all the I's were dotted and all the T's were crossed.

Strained semantics. We haven't done anything wrong, but the NCAA is involved in green lighting his eligibility.

Strained semantics. We haven't done anything wrong, but the NCAA is involved in green lighting his eligibility.

What strain? He was initially green-lighted by the NCAA and still is. They are going by what AU sent to them originally. If we get word from the ACT people that he's in good standing, he'll play the next game. There's nothing for the NCAA to do. Now, if we play him and it later comes to light that there is a problem with his ACT score, we're in trouble. Since we're not playing him, the NCAA has no interest.

IOW: If the ACT business comes back clean, he's already good to go. If it does not, we've got to notify the NCAA that his status has changed.

Archived