Will Muschamp (Combined Thread)

Potatooooooes!!

So I came across this article the other day and just wanted everyone's take on it. Basically...I want to be told it's not true and that I'm paranoid. I'll link the article, but the only part that matters is that supposedly Muschamp has expressed "high interest" in the UCF job.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/knights-notepad/os-nevada-brian-polian-ucf-post.html

Thoughts?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pure speculation. Nothing more.

So you think people are assuming that Muschamp might have high interest in the job, without finding out if it's even true? Cause that sounds like they're basically making stuff up...

Info from coaching search.com a pretty good site concerning football coaching moves, college and pro.

Nov 26,2015

UCF: Rivals.com reports that UCF’s search is focused on four candidates: Bowling Green head coach Dino Babers, North Carolina defensive coordinator Gene Chizik, Florida defensive coordinator Geoff Collins and Florida co-defensive coordinator Randy Shannon. The site adds that interviews are expected to happen Saturday and Sunday.

Nov 27, 2015

UCF: Bruce Feldman notes that Florida defensive coordinator Geoff Collins is getting strong support from key people at UCF. Collins is expected to interview this weekend, per Rivals.com.

Earlier info on the site cited the Orlando article the OP referenced that mentioned CWM's high interest. I believe Chiz came to AU from UCF when Tubbs hired him as DC.

I can't see Muschamp going from HC at UF to AU DC to UCF HC unless he thinks it's a career destination.

Maybe he wants his kids to get the Disney annual pass or something. :dunno:

So you think people are assuming that Muschamp might have high interest in the job, without finding out if it's even true? Cause that sounds like they're basically making stuff up...

You act like sports journalists don't make stuff up on a regular basis.

yeah if/when Coach Will Boom ever leaves, I highly doubt it would be for anything other than a P5 school.

Like AU? Should our D continue to improve next season and Gus continue our downward trajectory as HC since 2013, it would be right in Jay Jacobs' wheelhouse to promote Will Muschamp as our next head coach.

wde

I can see them quoting someone that made something up, or repeatedly publishing debunked claims, but yes, flat out fabricating something like that in your own report is hard for me to fathom (at least in sports, politics is completely different). I very well might just be naive though

AUIH1, I'd be unhappy if AU hired CWM as HC...Chizik 2.0 in terms of on-field results.

If we are at a point where CGM has to be fired and we get CWM as HC Jacobs would've hired a 5-19 coach that failed, a guy who's ONLY experience as a HC is at Arky State for ONE season, and then back to the 5-19 equivalent.

Jacobs went for a proven big fish in Bruce Pearl and I think thats the same strategy that would need to be put in action for the football program. JMO as I obviously am not qualified to ever run an athletic department.

We all know or at least should know that Muschamp wants to be a head coach again. Who could blame? All assist coaches want to move up and make more $. I feel we'll be lucky to hang on to Will 1 and maybe 2 more years if he doesn't get a head coaching first.

I can see them quoting someone that made something up, or repeatedly publishing debunked claims, but yes, flat out fabricating something like that in your own report is hard for me to fathom (at least in sports, politics is completely different). I very well might just be naive though

Every alleged journalist made stuff up in every article they wrote in 2010 about Cam Newton and Auburn. Journalist today are all about getting web clicks. They do little to no research at all when it comes to actually confirming something they heard. Call it shock value or just the atrocity that is sports reporting, but they make stuff up all the time.

AUIH1, I'd be unhappy if AU hired CWM as HC...Chizik 2.0 in terms of on-field results.

If we are at a point where CGM has to be fired and we get CWM as HC Jacobs would've hired a 5-19 coach that failed, a guy who's ONLY experience as a HC is at Arky State for ONE season, and then back to the 5-19 equivalent.

Jacobs went for a proven big fish in Bruce Pearl and I think thats the same strategy that would need to be put in action for the football program. JMO as I obviously am not qualified to ever run an athletic department.

I agree with you, but the Bruce Pearl hire was easy because Bruce Pearl was desperate due to his NCAA troubles and was an easy fish for Jay Jacobs to hook. All Jay Jacobs had to do was throw enough money at Bruce Pearl and give him enough control and Bruce Pearl was going to jump at the chance. I give credit to Jay Jacobs for doing all of those things regarding Bruce Pearl.

I have never said I was qualified to run AU's athletic department either, but I do know Jay Jacobs and am quite confident he was never qualified to run AU's athletic department. That is why, should Jay Jacobs remain the AD, when we hire our next HC of the football program, look for someone like Muschamp to be named.

wde

In his press conference when he first came to Auburn he addressed that he would like to HC again but it had to be in a situation that provided all the elements to win. He would rather be a coordinator in those elements than a HC without them.

It wouldn't be Chizik 2.0. Florida was good in every way except the QB position. When Driskel didn't pan out, it crippled the offense. But the talent was there.

That's always nice, but don't kid yourself. Bruce Pearl was only possible because of the mess he'd gotten himself in. Otherwise it would have been another hot shot assistant or mid major HC.

You're right, the media would NEVER make up anything.

It wouldn't be Chizik 2.0. Florida was good in every way except the QB position. When Driskel didn't pan out, it crippled the offense. But the talent was there.

That's always nice, but don't kid yourself. Bruce Pearl was only possible because of the mess he'd gotten himself in. Otherwise it would have been another hot shot assistant or mid major HC.

I know another team crippled by a QB that didn't pan out

Well fwiw, i am a UCF student who helps in the athletics program. I can say, with certainty, that this is not going to happen.

Could we get Chizik to coach the defense since we are already paying him?

We aren't paying Chizik anymore. We stopped when he got hired at UNC.

So maybe we have a good shot since we have a good unemployment program

Every alleged journalist made stuff up in every article they wrote in 2010 about Cam Newton and Auburn. Journalist today are all about getting web clicks. They do little to no research at all when it comes to actually confirming something they heard. Call it shock value or just the atrocity that is sports reporting, but they make stuff up all the time.

^this^

Archived