Will Muschamp (Combined Thread)

Potatooooooes!!

FIrst of all, with the biggest game of the season on the brink, there is no way Coach Muschamp would even discuss another job interest. It doesn't matter if it were true or not, he would not discuss it with a writer. He is totally focused on stopping the uat running attack, out routes and pick plays. IMO, I do not see him taking a job like that at this point of his career. I think he wants to build this defense into a national power.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FIrst of all, with the biggest game of the season on the brink, there is no way Coach Muschamp would even discuss another job interest. It doesn't matter if it were true or not, he would not discuss it with a writer. He is totally focused on stopping the uat running attack, out routes and pick plays. IMO, I do not see him taking a job like that at this point of his career. I think he wants to build this defense into a national power.

Agreed. He needs to build his brand back up after the Fla stint.

AUIH1, I'd be unhappy if AU hired CWM as HC...Chizik 2.0 in terms of on-field results.

If we are at a point where CGM has to be fired and we get CWM as HC Jacobs would've hired a 5-19 coach that failed, a guy who's ONLY experience as a HC is at Arky State for ONE season, and then back to the 5-19 equivalent.

Jacobs went for a proven big fish in Bruce Pearl and I think thats the same strategy that would need to be put in action for the football program. JMO as I obviously am not qualified to ever run an athletic department.

I agree with you, but the Bruce Pearl hire was easy because Bruce Pearl was desperate due to his NCAA troubles and was an easy fish for Jay Jacobs to hook. All Jay Jacobs had to do was throw enough money at Bruce Pearl and give him enough control and Bruce Pearl was going to jump at the chance. I give credit to Jay Jacobs for doing all of those things regarding Bruce Pearl.

I have never said I was qualified to run AU's athletic department either, but I do know Jay Jacobs and am quite confident he was never qualified to run AU's athletic department. That is why, should Jay Jacobs remain the AD, when we hire our next HC of the football program, look for someone like Muschamp to be named.

wde

Yup I agree with your assessment on Pearl. But still for JJ to go after him was a big step based on his prior football hires as he tried to keep it in the family and took a chance on unproven guys. And I think you're right on Jacobs too.

AUIH1, I'd be unhappy if AU hired CWM as HC...Chizik 2.0 in terms of on-field results.

It wouldn't be Chizik 2.0. Florida was good in every way except the QB position. When Driskel didn't pan out, it crippled the offense. But the talent was there.

Jacobs went for a proven big fish in Bruce Pearl and I think thats the same strategy that would need to be put in action for the football program. JMO as I obviously am not qualified to ever run an athletic department.

That's always nice, but don't kid yourself. Bruce Pearl was only possible because of the mess he'd gotten himself in. Otherwise it would have been another hot shot assistant or mid major HC.

I think you're right about the Pearl hire. I was just saying JJ should go after someone who has a winning past at a high level whenever he has to look for a new football coach. But Chiz was also a QB away as Gus showed the year after he was fired with basically the same roster. We could debate how much Chiz left Gus vs how much CWM left CJM at UF but I think the on field results were similar enough to draw a comparison. Had 1 very good year surrounded by mediocre to bad years that ultimately got them fired.

Has anyone taken into account the fact that Mrs. Muschamp is an Auburn girl. I just don't believe that he will leave his wife's alma mater in a bad place. Will really is gone of this place. And I don't expect he would leave so quickly for any min power 5 conference heacld coaching position. Happy wife=happy life. Hearing people say that he would leave to be with Jimbo Fisher at LSU. That is laughable. I believe Will is here for a couple more years.

I think that CWM is waiting his time for our HC job way down the road! Just kidding folks. There is not a better job than Auburn!

Could we get Chizik to coach the defense since we are already paying him?

We aren't paying Chizik anymore. We stopped when he got hired at UNC.

Not sure that's true. Chiz's buyout was structured in such a way that if he took a coaching job, the salary in the new job would be deducted from what AU was paying, but AU would pay the difference if the new salary was less.

Chiz's buyout was scheduled to run through 2015-16. His salary at UNC is about 700k/year. So unless there have been some changes to terms I haven't heard about, if AU's payment to Chiz were more than 700k/year he's receiving from UNC, then whatever there was above that point is likely still being paid.

It wouldn't be Chizik 2.0. Florida was good in every way except the QB position. When Driskel didn't pan out, it crippled the offense. But the talent was there.

That's always nice, but don't kid yourself. Bruce Pearl was only possible because of the mess he'd gotten himself in. Otherwise it would have been another hot shot assistant or mid major HC.

I know another team crippled by a QB that didn't pan out

I do too. But making a mistake one time doesn't mean a person is doomed to repeat it forever going forward.

Muschamp will stay as long as AU can field a competitive team and compete in conference. The defense is only one part of it, Gus better be finding a way to get this offense back on track pronto. If the O isn't drastically improved next season, then Gus will be ridiculed, questioned, and analyzed to death. And I don't see Muschamp hanging around while the boss is on the hot seat.

I believe everything I have heard from Boom and those around him has stated that while he might have future ambitions as HC, right now he is in relax mode and doing what he wants (remember he is getting money from UF also). I honestly expect that he will be here the next 2 years if CGM stays as head coach. I also expect CGC to probably turn down UCF if offered, for the same reason as boom. As far as CGM, he will get another year to get back on track if he can't his time will be done at AU. Right now lets's just focus on beating uat. WDE

I don't think Boom is going anywhere and definitely not to UCF. Who's to say he won't be the next HC here at Auburn? He was supposed to be the head coach in waiting when Tubbs was here and this is what led to him leaving when he wanted specific language in his contract which JJ didn't want to do.

I mean people are firing Gus on this thread....nothing wrong with his offense besides him needing a QB...

yep i agree oh and a receiver .. doesn't have to be a spectacular receiver but some one ala darvin adams or sammie coates

I mean people are firing Gus on this thread....nothing wrong with his offense besides him needing a QB...

That's because every idiot with an Internet connection unfortunately comes to this forum to grace us with their "I win on my Xbox all the time" wisdom.

yep i agree oh and a receiver .. doesn't have to be a spectacular receiver but some one ala darvin adams or sammie coates

Ala Kyle Davis

I don't think Boom is going anywhere and definitely not to UCF. Who's to say he won't be the next HC here at Auburn? He was supposed to be the head coach in waiting when Tubbs was here and this is what led to him leaving when he wanted specific language in his contract which JJ didn't want to do.

He wasn't the HCIW at AU.

Tom Ritter and his crew really got to Will tonight. I don't know about you all, but this is the worst crew that I have ever seen with their inconsistency. Stan White was open about it on the broadcast. Is there anyway that a specific crew can be protested for officiating big games. Their controversial calls come at critical times in games that involve bammer and championships. Just ask LSU. I think that saban rides them so much they are afraid of him. Will gets a penalty for it.

I hope that piece of trash loses his job for that one.

I'm sure nothing will come of it.

Archived