Playoff picture

FoundationEagle

Could get interesting. Oklahoma is officially in at 11-1 and no more games to play. Alabama is likely in as Florida is possibly the worst team to ever win a division of the SEC.

AFTER THAT:

Iowa or Michigan State? Winner is in

Clemson may very well lose to UNC. Then what? UNC and Ohio St. will be the only remaining 1 loss teams. Does NORTH CAROLINA make the playoff or does the B1G get 2 teams while the ACC get zero? I honestly don't know. Notre Dame losing took away the easy out in this scenario.

Let's say bama AND Clemson lose. Then this thing tanks. Do we end up with Mich St and Iowa (assuming it's a close win for Mich St, otherwise Ohio St. and the winner) Oklahoma and UNC.....Or Winner of B1G, Oklahoma and TWO ACC teams? Can you say worst ratings ever?

Either way... If bama loses, we will end up with either 2 ACC teams or 2 B1G teams. :barf:

Likely scenario could be a good one though.

Round 1

Clemson v Mich St/Iowa

bama v Oklahoma

Would it be too ironic for UNC to make the NC playoff in Chiziks first year as DC? I'll be pulling for him.

First round of the playoffs is under way.....IMO, Iowa vs Mich State will decide a spot.....and Clemson and Bama are in unless they lose....which makes it interesting because the old question comes up about whether to reward a team for NOT winning it's conference championship and taking a week off.

As noted, can't see UNC getting in by virtue of beating Clemson...so who jumps Clemson? ....a team that did not play for a championship on Saturday....like Ohio State...or would the loser of the Big 10 Championship get in if it's a close game?

BIg 10 has a fair chance of getting 2 teams IMO...despite the fact they have weak schedules.

I root for chaos when auburn is out of the picture. Ive been pulling for Iowa so I hope they win and get in. I would love to see NC upset Clemson, and I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

I root for chaos when auburn is out of the picture. Ive been pulling for Iowa so I hope they win and get in. I would love to see NC upset Clemson, and I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

I agree...pulling for UNC since my kids went there....and chaos during play-off time is always fun....as long as we are not involved.

Could get interesting. Oklahoma is officially in at 11-1 and no more games to play. Alabama is likely in as Florida is possibly the worst team to ever win a division of the SEC.

AFTER THAT:

Iowa or Michigan State? Winner is in

Clemson may very well lose to UNC. Then what? UNC and Ohio St. will be the only remaining 1 loss teams. Does NORTH CAROLINA make the playoff or does the B1G get 2 teams while the ACC get zero? I honestly don't know. Notre Dame losing took away the easy out in this scenario.

Let's say bama AND Clemson lose. Then this thing tanks. Do we end up with Mich St and Iowa (assuming it's a close win for Mich St, otherwise Ohio St. and the winner) Oklahoma and UNC.....Or Winner of B1G, Oklahoma and TWO ACC teams? Can you say worst ratings ever?

Either way... If bama loses, we will end up with either 2 ACC teams or 2 B1G teams. :barf:

Likely scenario could be a good one though.

Round 1

Clemson v Mich St/Iowa

bama v Oklahoma

Would it be too ironic for UNC to make the NC playoff in Chiziks first year as DC? I'll be pulling for him.

Lets be real: Florida isn't gonna beat Bama. That offense is, well, offensive :dunno: The Gator defense may hold Bama to 24 points or so. But I doubt they score even half as many points as we did against bama.

Iowa-Michigan State is gonna be a great game. Winner is definitely in. Iowa is a much better team than people are giving them credit for. They have steadily improved throughout the season. The B1G championship is gonna be a good one; either team could win and both teams are good on D and have excellent ground games.

If UNC beats Clemson in the ACC championship game I don't see the committee NOT putting them in the playoff. Yeah their resume has two FCS teams but if they actually BEAT the #1 team in the country, have only one loss, will have won 12 straight games, and end up as ACC conference champs then I don't see how the committe discounts that. Particularly when they have clearly expressed they will favor a conference champion. Now I think it likely that Clemson will win that game. With that said, I think UNC has a good chance because CGC does have experience against Dabo and Fedora does field a good offense. I would even say the ACC championship game is probably going to be as good a matchup as the B1G championship game. Needless to say, there is much more of a chance UNC wins that game than Florida winning the SEC :-\

I would say too that Boomer Sooner is in without question. Stanford helped out with that :big:

I think most people look at this thing and can safely assume that the playoffs will end up being:

-Bammer

-Boomer Sooner

-Iowa/Mich St winner with that being a tight game

-Clemson/UNC winner with that being a tight game as well

IF UNC wins and the committee picks a second B1G team - particularly OSU or keeps Clemson in it anyway I think there will be far too much questioning of the validity of this committee. NOBODY liked that 'Bama was given a shot at the Natty against LSU when they didn't even win their own division. That game was really the catalyst to move to a playoff. So putting OSU in really would mean the playoff has not improved the post season one dayum bit. <_<

I think OU is playing the best football of anyone right now. They have the athletes and scheme to take out Alabama.

Plus they will most likely play that game in Dallas. That is a home game for OU, pretty much like Auburn playing in Atlanta.

No matter what I'm pulling for a turd-Sooner matchup in round 1. Boomer Freakin Sooner! For now...

So you're not pulling for Florida to beat bama and keep them out of the playoff all together? I know it's not likely, but that's what I'm pulling for.

Since there are essentially two play-in games this week (Clemson-UNC and MSU-Iowa) I think things are pretty well settled. Things only get funky if Alabama loses. In that case, you almost have to slide Stanford into the 4th slot if they win Saturday.

I think the more interesting thing to watch is going to be how the seeding changes for Oklahoma since they don't play an actual conference championship game. If Clemson loses, for example, then I could see UAT sliding to #1, MSU/Iowa to #2, UNC to #3, and Oklahoma to #4.

I think OU is playing the best football of anyone right now. They have the athletes and scheme to take out Alabama.

Plus they will most likely play that game in Dallas. That is a home game for OU, pretty much like Auburn playing in Atlanta.

That's assuming they match them up in the semifinals. I've seen several projections with them in opposite brackets.

No matter what I'm pulling for a turd-Sooner matchup in round 1. Boomer Freakin Sooner! For now...

So you're not pulling for Florida to beat bama and keep them out of the playoff all together? I know it's not likely, but that's what I'm pulling for.

Realism gets in the way. Florida is a dumpster fire right now. It'll look respectable at the end because Satan won't blow up McIlwain. But he has the technology.

IF UNC wins and the committee picks a second B1G team - particularly OSU or keeps Clemson in it anyway I think there will be far too much questioning of the validity of this committee. NOBODY liked that 'Bama was given a shot at the Natty against LSU when they didn't even win their own division. That game was really the catalyst to move to a playoff. So putting OSU in really would mean the playoff has not improved the post season one dayum bit. <_<

When the popular talk last year was which other team from the SEC would go (before they eliminated each other), I sincerely doubted that any conference would ever get two teams in. I could see it as a possibility only if the landscape was ridiculously whacky: something like only two major conferences having an undefeated or one-loss champion where the others have 2 or more losses. Even then, I envision that would be the year an undefeated or one loss champion from the other conferences might get their chance.

I absolutely agree with you, and have never thought a team that didn't win their conference had any business in any national championship game. I thought it was ridiculous in 2011, and I think it would be ridiculous (and unlikely) now if North Carolina beat Clemson to win the ACC only to see an Ohio State team that didn't win their division or conference get the slot they deserved.

That's assuming they match them up in the semifinals. I've seen several projections with them in opposite brackets.

I havent followed it that greatly, but all the ones I have seen have had Bama 2 and OU 3. Guess your seeing some with OU 4? or is Bama jumping Clemson?

I havent followed it that greatly, but all the ones I have seen have had Bama 2 and OU 3. Guess your seeing some with OU 4? or is Bama jumping Clemson?

OK slipping to #4 after not playing a championship game

UNC-CH and Florida will be the two most popular teams in college football this week. Gonna have lots of fans out west.

They are in a position to really screw the works...'cause they have almost no chance to go to the playoffs if they win....but they both have the possibility to knock out the top 2 teams. ....and of course if bama loses, the entire world (other than the bammers) will be happy because there will be no SEC participation this year.

Should be a fun weekend.

If they value conference champions Stanford gets in if they win, total chaos this weekend would be Iowa, UF, UNC, and USC winning.

If that happened: Iowa, Oklahoma, OSU, UNC In that order.

Nah that won't happen. Agree with the guys on the Fox show. OU is locked at 3 and can only move up. They went through Baylor at Baylor, TCU, and Ok State at Stillwater for their last 3 games. The game in Stillwater was a championship game.

Nah that won't happen. Agree with the guys on the Fox show. OU is locked at 3 and can only move up. They went through Baylor at Baylor, TCU, and Ok State at Stillwater for their last 3 games. The game in Stillwater was a championship game.

Agree...the guys at 5 and 6 are the ones who will be on edge this weekend.

Can't say either way, but that's the only way it happens to not play bama unless Clemson loses. Should Iowa beat MSU, I think they jump to 3 being undefeated.

If North Carolina beats Clemson, they should be in the top 4. I hate how if you're not a brand name or traditional power team like Oklahoma, Notre Dame, or Ohio State then you don't get the benefit of the doubt. North Carolina would be conference champions, something the playoff committee supposedly places high value in. That would give them the edge over Ohio State who didn't win their conference. Ohio State's schedule isn't much better than North Carolina's. Ohio State only beat 1 ranked team, Michigan, while UNC would have beaten #1 Clemson. UNC also only has one loss which is one fewer than a potential 2 loss PAC 12 champion Stanford.

Last year, TCU and Baylor got left out mainly because they weren't Texas or Oklahoma. If North Carolina gets left out, then there should be real questions asked of the objectivity of the playoff committee's standards and how fair they are when looking at things like team names or traditional power teams. Do they pick and choose which criteria to use on each team or do they use the same criteria to judge all teams the same way?

You can bet that if UNC knocks off Clemson, Kirk Herbstreit and ESPN's clown car of football analysts will be clamoring for Ohio State to get in despite not winning their conference. Herbstreit is now on the Oklahoma bandwagon since Ohio State loss to Michigan State but it Clemson goes down, then Herbstreit will try to lobby for Ohio State by bashing UNC's loss to a 3-9 South Carolina, yet Herbstreit and several others don't seem equally bothered by Oklahoma's loss to a likely 4-8 Texas team. If Oklahoma can be considered solidly in the top 4 despite an equally embarassing loss to Texas, then North Carolina should be judged by the same standards. Also, Oklahoma got the benefit of playing their toughest opponents who had to use backup QB's against them. Yet, Oklahoma is getting rewarded for catching those breaks simply because they're a traditional power team.

If North Carolina beats Clemson, they should be in the top 4. I hate how if you're not a brand name or traditional power team like Oklahoma, Notre Dame, or Ohio State then you don't get the benefit of the doubt. North Carolina would be conference champions, something the playoff committee supposedly places high value in. That would give them the edge over Ohio State who didn't win their conference. Ohio State's schedule isn't much better than North Carolina's. Ohio State only beat 1 ranked team, Michigan, while UNC would have beaten #1 Clemson. UNC also only has one loss which is one fewer than a potential 2 loss PAC 12 champion Stanford.

Last year, TCU and Baylor got left out mainly because they weren't Texas or Oklahoma. If North Carolina gets left out, then there should be real questions asked of the objectivity of the playoff committee's standards and how fair they are when looking at things like team names or traditional power teams. Do they pick and choose which criteria to use on each team or do they use the same criteria to judge all teams the same way?

You can bet that if UNC knocks off Clemson, Kirk Herbstreit and ESPN's clown car of football analysts will be clamoring for Ohio State to get in despite not winning their conference. Herbstreit is now on the Oklahoma bandwagon since Ohio State loss to Michigan State but it Clemson goes down, then Herbstreit will try to lobby for Ohio State by bashing UNC's loss to a 3-9 South Carolina, yet Herbstreit and several others don't seem equally bothered by Oklahoma's loss to a likely 4-8 Texas team. If Oklahoma can be considered solidly in the top 4 despite an equally embarassing loss to Texas, then North Carolina should be judged by the same standards. Also, Oklahoma got the benefit of playing their toughest opponents who had to use backup QB's against them. Yet, Oklahoma is getting rewarded for catching those breaks simply because they're a traditional power team.

Oklahoma isn't catching any breaks. They are 11-1 and the Big 12 Champions outright. They lost Mayfield during the TCU game, and State used a two QB system all year long so Walsh was hardly some green backup with no experience or abilities that has never been in a big game. And if you watched that game I don't think the 2 QB system would of helped anyway, they couldn't keep OU off the running qb that night.

Shouldn't we be asking the same questions with Alabama? The SEC isn't that great this year and is 0-2 vs the Big 12. Maybe Alabama is getting the breaks.

Let's be honest also. Texas lost to teams like Notre Dame, Cal, TCU, Ok State. South Carolina lost to The Citadel. Hell Texas might be in the championship game against Alabama if it played in the SEC East.

Now I agree if UNC wins then they should be in and not Ohio State. I agree last year Baylor got left out cause of its name. Far as OU this year though, they are the outright Big 12 champions that played a legit schedule.

And ESPN is actually pushing the jump of Stanford over Ohio State at the moment if they win.

If they value conference champions Stanford gets in if they win, total chaos this weekend would be Iowa, UF, UNC, and USC winning.

If that happened: Iowa, Oklahoma, OSU, UNC In that order.

That would be a playoff committee nightmare. And the TV ratings for that final 4 would be pretty poor.

I thunk that conference champion is more of a tiebreaker than anything else. They look at everything else and then if there is no clear difference between the two, then they go to the conference champion.

Archived