We need to do better at challenging calls

boisnumber1

This has happened a few times this year and yesterday was another total goof by the coaching staff. The backwards pass by bama - very obvious - the whole stadium saw it on the mile long hd screen, yet our coaches sat there with their fingers up their noses. Not the first time. It was a big deal - ended up being a drive that netted a FG. Should have been a 2nd and 16 instead of 10. Big difference. That play could have been a drive killer. Absolutely no excuse for the coaches to be so lost that they never even questioned what was going on.

Well, to be fair, the coaching staff shouldn't have had to challenge that call. It was so obvious the crew on the field should have gotten it and if they didn't (which they didn't) then the replay official should have buzzed down and stopped the game for a review. There was failure on the officiating crews handling of that play.

Refs mess up - fairly often. Thats why the coaches have the ability to challenge. Why rely on the refs when as a coach, its your team and you should be doing what it takes to help them win the game. No excuse for falling asleep at the wheel. Blaming the refs is just an excuse.

Refs mess up - fairly often. Thats why the coaches have the ability to challenge. Why rely on the refs when as a coach, its your team and you should be doing what it takes to help them win the game. No excuse for falling asleep at the wheel. Blaming the refs is just an excuse.

Agree.....and the sad thing is that there was plenty of time for someone to call down and advise Gus.

Agree.....and the sad thing is that there was plenty of time for someone to call down and advise Gus.

I think everyone in the stadium was advising him lol

I'm not blaming the officials. I'm making a point that he shouldn't have had to use the challenge there because it was obvious. But, do you have any idea how often a coach can challenge a call during a game?

Allow me to answer: Each coach has ONE challenge per game. IF they use that challenge are successful, then they retain it for one more challenge. If they use it and are NOT successful there re no more challenges for them for the game. The coach doesn't have unlimited challenges in every game.

This isn't about blaming the officials. It's about looking at every aspect of the game and not isolating on one thing.

Until I see an SEC crew in the Iron Bowl call holding against bama until they stop doing it I'll get pissed about missing a couple of replay challenges.

I'm not blaming the officials. I'm making a point that he shouldn't have had to use the challenge there because it was obvious. But, do you have any idea how often a coach can challenge a call during a game?

Allow me to answer: Each coach has ONE challenge per game. IF they use that challenge are successful, then they retain it for one more challenge. If they use it and are NOT successful there re no more challenges for them for the game. The coach doesn't have unlimited challenges in every game.

This isn't about blaming the officials. It's about looking at every aspect of the game and not isolating on one thing.

Still no excuse for not challenging that call. Period. I know you get one. He would have gotten it back.

Still no excuse for not challenging that call. Period. I know you get one. He would have gotten it back.

Dude...Grow up. I agree he should have challenged the call. I also know he shouldn't have had too. Why is that so difficult to admit and understand?

Did we ever challenge a call during the season? Seems like maybe we challenged a spot and result went against us. Anyway guys in booth should have told the coaches. I'm sure Saban didn't count the players when ran out on the field telling everyone we had 12 men on the field. I think officials had already caught it.

I was trying to remember Gus challenging a call. I can't remember one.

Another thing, how many coaches do we have upstairs? From what I have seen, we have two offensive coaches and two defensive coaches in the press box. Did you notice that uat had about ten in their box. I am sure they each have a responsibility every play. That is one of the differences in their program and ours. Saban uses every option available to put a better product on the field. Do we?

Another thing, how many coaches do we have upstairs? From what I have seen, we have two offensive coaches and two defensive coaches in the press box. Did you notice that uat had about ten in their box. I am sure they each have a responsibility every play. That is one of the differences in their program and ours. Saban uses every option available to put a better product on the field. Do we?

Watched a replay of the game and the announcers said UAT had 15 coaches in the press box. They showed a shot of them and there were a bunch in there. They were commenting on the coaches in the box for AL letting the coaches on the field know Auburn had 12 players on the field.

Why would a coach not use every option at their disposal to put the best possible product on the field? Why not push the rules to the freaking limit? Why not employ and army to aid in the mental and physical growth and development of a program?

Well, to be fair, the coaching staff shouldn't have had to challenge that call. It was so obvious the crew on the field should have gotten it and if they didn't (which they didn't) then the replay official should have buzzed down and stopped the game for a review. There was failure on the officiating crews handling of that play.

why does that take so long? at home watching we know the second we see a questionable play. the replay official waits until almost the snap sometimes probably too long. why in the hell cant they do this instantly?

alexava, I wonder the same thing often. The guys in the booth have the benefit of seeing it in person and on the TV broadcast AND on a jumbotron bigger than Vermont and they still wait until juuust before the center snaps it to stop the game.

Archived