The Official Meltdown Thread

thaitopher

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Amazing how little has changed.  Groundhog Day 2.0

Exactly my thoughts. Now comes the next wave of off season overreactions, concerns, hope, and misery.  Who needs soap operas when you have Auburn athletics?

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:23 PM, Farmer Brown said:

We have the most inept offensive coaches that caught lighning in a bottle, in Cam and Nick. Other than junior college transfers, they have not groomed a successful qb in the time he has been here. Sean is a gamer. It is a shame he has to play hurt because these clowns have no back up plan.

You are so right Carl, and ain't that the truth!

9 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Well, we are not a dumpster fire... We are just a smouldering pile of crap. An average crap, not even a big one. 

Hey, we may only be average in size, but at least we smell really bad. 

My fear is that Stidham will ball out, we win 10 or games making Gus look smart again, then we give him another extension then Stidham declares for the draft.  I'm not entirely confident that was a legitimate sentence. But I think you get the point.

12 hours ago, api1957 said:

My fear is that Stidham will ball out, we win 10 or games making Gus look smart again, then we give him another extension then Stidham declares for the draft.  I'm not entirely confident that was a legitimate sentence. But I think you get the point.

3oriNVvop3bMSjM12g.gif

I'm here, I gotchu.

Gus Malzahn...  " Sugar bowl is a learning experience." I guess Gus still thinks he's still coaching in the Sun Belt conference where expectations start low and end with a slim chance of a bowl game versus a power five conference team. I've never heard of an SEC coach play the underdog card more than Gus and that includes Derek Mason of Vanderbilt. They might not have come into the season as favorites in the SEC but, it's not for the lack of talent that they were written off so early. Gus needs to look in the mirror and think to himself what can I do to make Auburn great again because riding Cam Newton's and Nick Marshall's coattails to an SEC head coaching gig clearly isn't working anymore.

1 hour ago, murpjf88 said:

Gus Malzahn...  " Sugar bowl is a learning experience." I guess Gus still thinks he's still coaching in the Sun Belt conference where expectations start low and end with a slim chance of a bowl game versus a power five conference team. I've never heard of an SEC coach play the underdog card more than Gus and that includes Derek Mason of Vanderbilt. They might not have come into the season as favorites in the SEC but, it's not for the lack of talent that they were written off so early. Gus needs to look in the mirror and think to himself what can I do to make Auburn great again because riding Cam Newton's and Nick Marshall's coattails to an SEC head coaching gig clearly isn't working anymore.

A learning experience for the players or for Gus....

If the latter, you would think losing the national championship would be more than enough experience. Sick of his coach speak if so.

2 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

If the latter, you would think losing the national championship would be more than enough experience. Sick of his coach speak if so.

I hope like hell he meant learning experience for our young players. If he meant our coaching staff then i just got about 10 times more concerned in regards to next season.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2017 at 1:02 AM, Randman5000 said:

On 1/6/2017 at 3:09 AM, AU80cruiser said:

I hope like hell he meant learning experience for our young players. If he meant our coaching staff then i just got about 10 times more concerned in regards to next season.

Gus still has a lot to learn. I hope y'all don't think he already knows everything. I hope even more that he doesn't think he knows everything. He takes a lot of heat for being stubborn. If the comment above means that he is still actively learning and is less rigid in his thinking than many suggest, then I'm good with it. 

I read Mazzone has withdrawn his name from consideration. I also read his being hired at A&M was part of his agreement. Hopefully, they will name somebody this weekend who will be a difference maker.

18 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Gus still has a lot to learn. I hope y'all don't think he already knows everything. I hope even more that he doesn't think he knows everything. He takes a lot of heat for being stubborn. If the comment above means that he is still actively learning and is less rigid in his thinking than many suggest, then I'm good with it. 

Come on man...it's called complaining. He's says the same crap and we are over it..take that junk to some other thread

On 1/5/2017 at 10:22 AM, api1957 said:

We are definitely in no man's land. We have too much talent to realistically fire Gus next year because we should win a good number of games on sheer talent. Unfortunately our temporary success will only prolong the inevitable if Gus doesn't improve drastically in a handful of Head Coaching areas. This is scary.

13 minutes ago, Tiger said:

We are definitely in no man's land. We have too much talent to realistically fire Gus next year because we should win a good number of games on sheer talent. Unfortunately our temporary success will only prolong the inevitable if Gus doesn't improve drastically in a handful of Head Coaching areas. This is scary.

What's sad is that we really are a quality OC away from being pretty well locked down. Over the past 2 years, we've fixed the recruiting problems.  We don't have any major internal problems (from a team standpoint).  The Defense is running like a well oiled machine.  If we can just not F up this hire, we should have an exceedingly bright future.

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

What's sad is that we really are a quality OC away from being pretty well locked down. Over the past 2 years, we've fixed the recruiting problems.  We don't have any major internal problems (from a team standpoint).  The Defense is running like a well oiled machine.  If we can just not F up this hire, we should have an exceedingly bright future.

You have more trust in Gus than I do.

In 4 years I haven't seen any improvement in: clock management, timeout management, roster management, player development, or in-game adaptability.

You're right though next year we are set up to do really big things if we don't mess up this OC hire. BUT unless Gus doesn't improve in multiple areas from a HC perspective we are just going to be going in circles because banking on transfer QBs to mask our hideous deficiencies will eventually lead to his demise. But, in part due to CGM recruiting, our floor should really be 8-9 wins and it takes some major balls to fire someone after that and our AD doesn't seem to be wired like that. We seriously could be a perennial power if we had the right coach. 

Maybe Gus is learning and improving on those aforementioned things but he's going to need to let an OC take on true responsibilities for him to be able to focus on improving himself. So that makes this OC hire all the more important, as you said.

I have a bitter taste in my mouth from this past season, mainly from being teased with could've been greatness, so I can say that I sometimes get overly emotional and that influences my opinion. But we have had a seemingly bright future for the last 3 years and it hasn't materialized yet outside of when we really didn't look like we had a bright future at all in post-2012/pre-2013. I know we have an insane amount of production coming back so we are set up really nicely. I just hope what looks to be long term problems that can be masked by a plug-in transfer QB get sorted out because how our staff has been depending on band-aids to fix things is just not sustainable IMO

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

In 4 years I haven't seen any improvement in: clock management, timeout management, roster managementplayer development, or in-game adaptability.

REALLY??? Have you looked at the team lately?  We've filled in all of the holes at linebacker, OL, QB, etc.  We've got depth almost everywhere. The only place development is remotely in question is a the QB spot and that is about to change dramatically. I think you're letting some on-field issues cloud your judgement.

As for the other 3 things, a good OC hire fixes them.

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

REALLY??? Have you looked at the team lately?  We've filled in all of the holes at linebacker, OL, QB, etc.  We've got depth almost everywhere. The only place development is remotely in question is a the QB spot and that is about to change dramatically. I think you're letting some on-field issues cloud your judgement.

As for the other 3 things, a good OC hire fixes them.

What I meant by roster management was more like...Why do we have 3rd stringers that couldn't see the field at AU but they are making money on Sundays (Brandon King) or guys like CJ Uzomah, who is making NFL money, who had as many catches through his entire career as some TEs have in a single season? Or the obvious idea that SW was without a doubt our best QB on the team but Gus couldn't figure that out over half a season and an entire off-season? Or the fact that he couldn't figure out that our OL is worlds better with Dampeer on the bench? Or that Kam Pettway is the force that he is at RB? This is inexcusable it's like he's not even at practice.

One could argue we lucked into our success this past season forcing positive roster changes.

2 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Come on man...it's called complaining. He's says the same crap and we are over it..take that junk to some other thread

There's plenty to complain about. That's why I find it odd that people make up ridiculous things to complain about instead of the actual things to complain about.

"We learned nothing from the bowl game. We coached and played it perfectly and would do it again exactly the same way." I guess that would've been better.

But, you're right, this probably isn't the thread for pointing out irrational thought. It's kinda right there in the title. Touche. 

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

One could argue we lucked into our success this past season forcing positive roster changes.

No argument there. Thought I think that was mostly on the O-Line. I think Gus knew Sean was the guy, but was being pushed to go dual-threat because people can't stop thinking about 2013. I also think he knew about Kam, but Kerryon may have been better, before he was injured. The line, however... no excuse for that. Makes me think  Hand picked a starting 5 and never tried any other configurations.

58 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

No argument there. Thought I think that was mostly on the O-Line. I think Gus knew Sean was the guy, but was being pushed to go dual-threat because people can't stop thinking about 2013. I also think he knew about Kam, but Kerryon may have been better, before he was injured. The line, however... no excuse for that. Makes me think  Hand picked a starting 5 and never tried any other configurations.

Yup yup yup! But imagine if we had worked SW with the 1st team all off-season, or at least when it should have been crystal clear he's the best QB we have. I don't think it's a stretch to think we could've split the TAMU and Clemson games at least.

Archived