The Official Meltdown Thread

thaitopher

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

EVERYBODY PANIC!!!!!!!

Really dude?  Resurrecting this beaten to death thread after losing by 8 to the number three team in the nation on the roa....ah, what the heck...

giphy.gif

Gus should have a testicle removed for every punt against mercer.... then toe, then finger, then appendage... then fired for cause.

1 minute ago, The Freak said:

Gus should have a testicle removed for every punt against mercer.... then toe, then finger, then appendage... then fired for cause.

This made me laugh! :laugh:

chris-farley-bus-driver-gif-x450.gifThe Gus Bus right now.

I can't wait to pay this clown to sit on ESPN's set and analyze football. Here's hoping we learn how to make an incentive based contract in the future!

• 3 weeks later...

So two big wins, and the critics are silent?

The team is improving. But we haven't faced stiff opposition yet. I want to see us match up physically with UGA and Bama before I stop the panic.

3 minutes ago, DyeCampAlum said:

The team is improving. But we haven't faced stiff opposition yet. I want to see us match up physically with UGA and Bama before I stop the panic.

I want to see how Gus does in a dynamic situation when he has to make a critical decision.  These blow out wins tells me nothing concerning his thought process when the $**t hits the fan.  I just don't trust him to make the right call.

2 hours ago, DyeCampAlum said:

I don't think one looks at the last two wins as "big" wins....we just did what we were supposed to. Something we didn't do with Georgia Southern and Mercer. And don't forget about the lack of offense against Clemson and the 11 sacks. Its just that for once this season, we won the way we were suppose to win, which doesn't mean we are really good or etc. Just met expectations. I agree about Georgia, but in the interim, we hopefully continue to take care of business. Maybe we are just holding our breath for now????

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I want to see how Gus does in a dynamic situation when he has to make a critical decision.  These blow out wins tells me nothing concerning his thought process when the $**t hits the fan.  I just don't trust him to make the right call.

And the “right call”would be the one we all get to judge after it happens...then we can say whether he made the right or wrong call...got it.

24 minutes ago, auskull said:

I don't think one looks at the last two wins as "big" wins....we just did what we were supposed to. Something we didn't do with Georgia Southern and Mercer. And don't forget about the lack of offense against Clemson and the 11 sacks. Its just that for once this season, we won the way we were suppose to win, which doesn't mean we are really good or etc. Just met expectations. I agree about Georgia, but in the interim, we hopefully continue to take care of business. Maybe we are just holding our breath for now????

By big, I just meant margin of victory.

50 minutes ago, auskull said:

We did what we were supposed to against Missouri.  We did a bit better than that against State.  I'm happy with the progress made the last few games, but am still concerned about what happens when we hit a decent defense.

13 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

And the “right call”would be the one we all get to judge after it happens...then we can say whether he made the right or wrong call...got it.

Let me further explain what I mean.  A person can make decisions easily with no stress, it's when that person is put under pressure (self induced or not) that you can find out how they handle the stress by the decisions they make.  As an example of Gus' decision making under duress; the UGA game in 2015, Auburn has a slim lead in the 3rd Qtr and the offense is not moving the ball.  As a change of pace, Gus puts in SW, who had been hurt, but the narrative was that the injure wouldn't be worse if he played.

The first play SW was in, it became obvious that SW was unable to perform due to lack of mobility.  I have no problem with Gus trying to play SW for that series, probably a good way to get a spark for the team if SW could provide that spark.  The issue came when Gus put him back in for two more series.  The UGA defense just tee'd off on him and in the last series, SW fumbled deep in our territory.

I have no idea if it was Gus' decision alone to put SW back in for those series, but he did which indicates he is not very situationally aware.  Same thing with running a RB dive inside the 5 yard line with the same RB that just ran for 59 yards and nursing a pulled hammy.  He gets in a mode of making a decision without thinking, just going with it because that was the plan.

This what I hope to see improvement in with regard to decision making.

For years the meltdown thread was about how bad the Defense was. A bad Defense that Gus inherited. Since Gus has been here we have recruited better defensively and his last two DC hires have been home runs. The melt downers don't give Gus any credit for the Defensive improvement. Last couple of years was about JJ Meltdown and SW injuries.  Gus goes out and recruits Stidham and brings in Chip on O.  SW is having issues which is kind of good as Stidham gets more reps in practice but leaves us with limited depth.  Stidham is rusty in first two games considering that for last year he had been basically out of football except as a HS scout team QB and a new Offensive system for whole team. Surprise we didn't play great. Third game Offense was hitting on all cylinders however receivers had fumbleitis how can you blame that on Gus. Next two games O played great.

Are there still issues? Yes O-line still is a work in progress especially tackles in pass rush situations. Offense still not doing the type of pass plays that take pressure off blockers and QB's. The kind of plays that hurt d-line when they put their ears back and rush (example shovel pass to TE or RB as the D-Line goes past).

Am I worried about GA and bama yes. Even if we are playing really well these are two of the best teams in the country this year. Is Gus stubborn? Yes.  But lets be a little realistic in our expectations.  Considering where we are located and the quality of the teams we recruit against on a regular basis bama, Ga., Fla, FSU and now Clemson not many coaches could recruit as well as we have. Now look at the schedule we play we normally play more top 25 teams than just about anybody in College Football.  This year because of SEC West being down we may actually be a little better off  in the West but because of where Ga. is we still play a tough schedule. A&M has looked better last couple of games as the RB Ford has come on and we play LSU at night there. Anytime you play LSU there at night it is a tough game because of the crowd and the emotion. LSU has the talent but just are not playing well.  We should still win out going into bama and Ga.   Winning one of those game will make it a very solid season winning both moves us into top 4 in the country.  Because of the O-Line issues and because of the top 2 RB's not being at 100% we could lose both but if we continue improving from week to week we will have an honest chance of beating one or both of them. 

If we let down and lose to anybody else on our schedule this year we will have a very legitimate reason to have a meltdown.  I jumped off the Gus Bus earlier this year I am not back on yet but I have my foot near the step to get back on because of the improvement I have seen over last two weeks.

46 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Love this thread. Except for the Stephen Colbert stuff. He is such a prick .. horrible 

You're welcome. ;) Starting this thread might very well be my greatest contribution ever to this site. If I remember correctly, I started this thread in response to all the melting that was going around in connection with the news that Will Muschamp and T-Rob would be leaving and going to South Carolina. The recruiting world was falling apart and our defense looked doomed for years to come. Fastforward two years and now look where we are, especially where our defense is at. Nice to have perspective some times and I wish I could go back and tell myself two years ago that things wouldn't be so bad. 

5 hours ago, thaitopher said:

You're welcome. ;) Starting this thread might very well be my greatest contribution ever to this site. If I remember correctly, I started this thread in response to all the melting that was going around in connection with the news that Will Muschamp and T-Rob would be leaving and going to South Carolina. The recruiting world was falling apart and our defense looked doomed for years to come. Fastforward two years and now look where we are, especially where our defense is at. Nice to have perspective some times and I wish I could go back and tell myself two years ago that things wouldn't be so bad. 

Thank you for this . We all have hilarious meltdown moments 

18 hours ago, thaitopher said:

Guilty. So, sooooo guilty. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone wanna start a fund me page to pay Gustav's buyout?

Archived