Charles Kelly

RunInRed

Probably deserves his own thread. There appears to be some momentum in his direction as we enter Monday ...

6_1032652.jpg

Bio Highlights:

• Charles Kelly enters his third season at Florida State and his second as the defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach in 2015. Kelly coached linebackers and served as the special teams coordinator during the Seminoles’ undefeated national championship season in 2013.

• Florida State head coach Jimbo Fisher promoted Kelly to defensive coordinator in February 2014, following a season where his linebackers helped guide a dominant defense that led the nation in scoring defense (12.1), pass defense (156.6) and interceptions (26), and ranked third in total defense (281.4) in 2013. Only two teams scored more than 17 points against the Seminoles.

• Kelly went to Nicholls State in 2002 from Eufaula (Ala.) High School, where he served as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach for two seasons. Prior to his move to the high school ranks, the Ozark, Ala., native spent one season (1999) as defensive coordinator at Henderson State and two seasons as defensive coordinator at Jacksonville State.

• Before going to Jacksonville State, Kelly served one year as a graduate assistant at Auburn and was part of the Tigers’ 11-0 season in 1993.

• Kelly has coached 14 players that have made it to the NFL, including Edwards Jr., Goldman, Darby, Williams, Smith, Jones, Brooks, Thompson, Delvin Hugley, Calvin Jackson, Chris Schelling, Dell McGee, Jahi Word-Daniels and Mario Butler.

• A 1990 graduate of Auburn with a degree in secondary math education, Kelly played defensive back under former Tiger coach Pat Dye. His senior class put together a four-year record of 39-7-2 while participating in four bowl games. In 2002, Kelly earned a master’s degree in education from Troy State.

• Kelly and his wife, Kristy, have three daughters, Caroline, Kathleen and Charli Grace.

http://www.seminoles...TCLID=209572990

Coaching Career:

1990-1992 Central (AL) HS (Assistant)

1993 Auburn (Assistant)

1994 Jacksonville State (RB)

1995 Jacksonville State (DB)

1996 Jacksonville State (OC)

1997-1998 Jacksonville State (DC)

1999 Henderson State (DC)

2000-2001 Eufaula (AL) HS (DC/LB)

2002-2003 Nicholls State (DB)

2004-2005 Nicholls State (DC)

2006-2007 Georgia Tech (ST)

2008-2009 Georgia Tech (CB)

2010-2012 Georgia Tech (DB)

2012 Georgia Tech (Interim DC)

2013 Florida State (ST/LB)

2014–Present Florida State (DC)

Current Salary at FSU: $500,000

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Offer him $800,000.00 and sign him.

How much is he paid today? 800k is very likely not enough. I am sure our staff is aware of what we need to get to if he wants the job.

Has coached at Alabama HS level and worked his way up to DC at FSU experience coaching DB's and LB's and put a lot of kids in the NFL. Coming from FSU should still have strong ties to Florida for recruiting and knows Alabama and finally he graduated from Auburn so he appears to be an excellent candidate. Whether him or somebody else we need to do it quickly.

How much is he paid today? 800k is very likely not enough. I am sure our staff is aware of what we need to get to if he wants the job.

$500K

Kelly would be EXCELLENT for AU and AU for him. His on-field presence is the antithesis of Muschamp. Professional.

CK is also a great recruiter. http://247sports.com/Coach/Charles-Kelly-193/AllTimeRecruits

Sign him up post haste, not like the 3 week delay with Muschamp. (I have to spit every time I say Muschamp's name....SPIT)

Probably more important than anything with Kelly is the scheme that he runs, which is a 3-4 scheme with a hybrid DE/OLB nicknamed the "Buck" (sound familiar?).

Philosophically, Kelly's defense is similar to Boom's and Smart's, in that they aren't necessarily tying to get gawdy sack numbers when they blitz. Here's a better write up on it found on SBNation:

Philosophically, disciples of Saban prefer to use more coverage calls featuring a single-high safety shell--allowing an additional defender in the box to help against the run. These units incorporate pattern read coverage rules to defend the vertical passing game. Pruitt and Kelly also emphasize disguised blitzes from linebackers and defensive backs with pressure from the defensive line to squeeze the pocket and contain mobile quarterbacks, rather than one-gap speed rushing off the edge.

Kelly, like Muschamp, believes that if you can force an offense to be one dimensional, you will have a much easier time stopping them, and he chooses to do this by creating a focus on stopping the run. This "Stop the run or get run over" mentality is one that is very much feast or famine: if you can stop the run, you essentially stop the offense because your players can simply pin their ears back and come after the offense, but if you can't then your defense will be torched. I think that this agressiveness is exactly what our Defense needs from a mentality perspective.

hell, i would offer 550k and free lunch and coffee.

An Auburn man and former player. I have never heard of him before. Kelly is now my first choice. Let him bring his own assistants.

Let's make this happen soon. We have a class to save and a spring to get prepared for!

Why would he leave FSU where Jimbo is well entrenched to come be Auburn's (can't even remember the number) DC in how many years under a coach entering next season on the hottest of hot seats?

I would be shocked if Gus was able to pull someone like Kelly....Auburn ties or not. This next DC is not walking into the best situation.

Why would he leave FSU where Jimbo is well entrenched to come be Auburn's (can't even remember the number) DC in how many years under a coach entering next season on the hottest of hot seats?

I would be shocked if Gus was able to pull someone like Kelly....Auburn ties or not. This next DC is not walking into the best situation.

Auburn has the assets and history to provide a good coach to become a great coach to enhance his future. CK should welcome the challenge if he's looking to improve himself and his financial arrangement.

Partly because of the same reason Jimbo heavily considered LSU before public sentiment toward Les changed things: FSU pinches pennies on assistants' salaries. Fisher is annoyed that he doesn't have more room and flexibility to keep his guys from being poached by other schools.

But beyond that, the perception of Gus amongst coaches and the perception amongst message board denizens is very different. Plus, Kelly played football here and graduated from here. He would love to come coach at Auburn.

Fisher is floating his name out there about other jobs. FSU is just a cheap place to work.

Seeing a lot of O&B glasses here. Yes, Auburn is a great job. Just not this year. The best options are to land a coach whose situation just ended, take a risk on a rising star, or get some grizzled FCS/Sun Belt genius.

Archived