Charles Kelly

RunInRed

Well dang came here with optimism- but all I see is how AU is a hot mess because of a tough season - I guess AU should look to pop warner for a DC because some act as if no one would take a chance of coming here to work. Get a contract, if someone gets fired, you get paid until you find work. Personally I don't think Gus is coaching for his life next season, I know what shambles the program was in when he first got here, specifically regarding talent and depth. But hey next year no one will expect much of AU, and based on many here that is when AU shines the most.

First got here as in the OC or HC? I honestly don't see the difference from AU in 2011 and AU right now.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would he leave FSU where Jimbo is well entrenched to come be Auburn's (can't even remember the number) DC in how many years under a coach entering next season on the hottest of hot seats?

I would be shocked if Gus was able to pull someone like Kelly....Auburn ties or not. This next DC is not walking into the best situation.

Partly because of the same reason Jimbo heavily considered LSU before public sentiment toward Les changed things: FSU pinches pennies on assistants' salaries. Fisher is annoyed that he doesn't have more room and flexibility to keep his guys from being poached by other schools.

But beyond that, the perception of Gus amongst coaches and the perception amongst message board denizens is very different. Plus, Kelly played football here and graduated from here. He would love to come coach at Auburn.

I have heard that Jimbo was interested in the LSU job but turned them down because of his personal situation. He is going through a divorce and has a child with Fanconi Anemia, a rare genetic disorder that causes bone marrow failure. It will eventually be fatal but nobody can tell what his son's life span will be. Jimbo did not want to be that far from his family. He has a good job with a good salary. Could he do better? Absolutely, but you have to respect his priorities. For that reason, the stability for Kelly is better at FSU and than it would be at Auburn at this time.

Here's the scoop. My cousin (who is from Ozark and an AU grad along with her husband and two children) knows CK. I emailed her about CK and here is what she said:

"His family are good friends, his wife and (name deleted) were close friends in HS, born 2 weeks apart. I used to change his diapers! He has done well every where he has coached. We would be happy! I understand he turned down the first offer, wanting a longer contract and some financial assurance if Gus gets fired next year".

WDE !!!

I don't think it is the perception of Gus, but the perception of our AD, that we should be worried about.

Seriously...Muschamp was gone regardless of the USC job. He would have made a lateral move. Ask yourself WHY.

I love AU as much as anyone, but unfortunately we are a hot mess right now, and NOT a "premier" job as was stated.

Other than the obvious a Dc coming to AU to coach for a coach on the hot seat. Can you elaborate on the "hot mess"?

Why would he leave FSU where Jimbo is well entrenched to come be Auburn's (can't even remember the number) DC in how many years under a coach entering next season on the hottest of hot seats?

I would be shocked if Gus was able to pull someone like Kelly....Auburn ties or not. This next DC is not walking into the best situation.

Partly because of the same reason Jimbo heavily considered LSU before public sentiment toward Les changed things: FSU pinches pennies on assistants' salaries. Fisher is annoyed that he doesn't have more room and flexibility to keep his guys from being poached by other schools.

But beyond that, the perception of Gus amongst coaches and the perception amongst message board denizens is very different. Plus, Kelly played football here and graduated from here. He would love to come coach at Auburn.

I have heard that Jimbo was interested in the LSU job but turned them down because of his personal situation. He is going through a divorce and has a child with Fanconi Anemia, a rare genetic disorder that causes bone marrow failure. It will eventually be fatal but nobody can tell what his son's life span will be. Jimbo did not want to be that far from his family. He has a good job with a good salary. Could he do better? Absolutely, but you have to respect his priorities. For that reason, the stability for Kelly is better at FSU and than it would be at Auburn at this time.

Here's the scoop. My cousin (who is from Ozark and an AU grad along with her husband and two children) knows CK. I emailed her about CK and here is what she said:

"His family are good friends, his wife and (name deleted) were close friends in HS, born 2 weeks apart. I used to change his diapers! He has done well every where he has coached. We would be happy! I understand he turned down the first offer, wanting a longer contract and some financial assurance if Gus gets fired next year".

WDE !!!

Give him what he wants!!!

He wants a longer contract more $$ and wants a contingency in the contract if Gus gets fired next year he wants more $$.

WOW

Do you blame him? Unfortunately, that is the situation AU is in to get a DC like Kelly.

We had to pay Muschamp $1.6 MILLION DOLLARS to come here for ONE YEAR with absolutely NO BUYOUT after the regular season (a mid season buyout is meaningless anyway because the hiring/firing starts after the season has ended).

He wants a longer contract more $$ and wants a contingency in the contract if Gus gets fired next year he wants more $$.

WOW

Wants a multi year guaranteed contract.

WDE !!!

That's reasonable. Auburn should agree to that request.

If AU wants a good DC they need to get JJ out of the way. Sorry everyone but I feel the same way that AEAugirl does.

Unless you mean firing JJ he's baked into the process of hiring. It's HIS job and is responsible to the president.

Yeah some definitely need to take off the O&B glasses...Auburn is a contender year in/year out? seriously? I'm guessing that's based on preseason hype cause last year and this year prove otherwise. I think we're building to a point where we can compete year in/year out but not quite there yet. I think Auburn is a great place and a great job but honestly it's not the top tier job like the traditional jobs(Alabama, Mich, Notre Dame, USC, etc.). I hope we can land a DC that's not gonna be here for just a year or two

Yeah some definitely need to take off the O&B glasses...Auburn is a contender year in/year out? seriously? I'm guessing that's based on preseason hype cause last year and this year prove otherwise. I think we're building to a point where we can compete year in/year out but not quite there yet. I think Auburn is a great place and a great job but honestly it's not the top tier job like the traditional jobs(Alabama, Mich, Notre Dame, USC, etc.). I hope we can land a DC that's not gonna be here for just a year or two

Disagree whole heartedly alabamabrown. AU IS a contender for coaches/talent/titles every year. We pay top dollar for top tier coaches and always have a top recruiting class. The results will vary from year to year but 99% of the other Div. I schools would give their whole annual budget and their right arm for having won a NC and competed for another NC within 3 seasons as Auburn University has.

AU is in the discussion EVERY SEASON.

WDE !!!

If he wants assurances, that makes a lot of sense. I'd be happy he wants to keep talking. An extra million or so of income would make a difference.

I'm still really concerned that Muschamp was ready to go, even for a lateral move. That worries me a lot.

If AU wants a good DC they need to get JJ out of the way. Sorry everyone but I feel the same way that AEAugirl does.

We just had the best DC in college football. We couldn't have predicted a job as good as South Carolina coming open and actually being available to him so soon after the Florida debacle (South Carolina fans didn't even think it would be offered to him).

Ellis Johnson and Ted Roof were good hires, too. Even BVG was thought of highly around here, IIRC. It's how they were managed when they got here that was the problem. That very well may be on Jacobs.

Really, most of the hires of assistant coaches that have happened since Tuberville left have been though of very highly at the time.

I'm confused. RIR said momentum is pointing to Kelly to be our next DC but everybody else is saying no way he would leave.

Auburn COULD be a contender year in and year out. Again...they have to get out of their own way.

Wanna know a big reason Saban has been so successful at Bama? He told the AD from the get-go he wanted COMPLETE control. No meddling. That was a big problem at Bama before Saban, and its a problem at AU now and has been for a while.

The AD at AU is a BIG business, not a good ol boy's club...and should be run as such.

I'm confused. RIR said momentum is pointing to Kelly to be our next DC but everybody else is saying no way he would leave.

That actually makes sense. If Auburn really reached out to him, there's your momentum. And if he said no or asked for a better deal, that makes sense of the second part.

We have to understand that he's in a very stable situation right now. He may or may not be willing to leave, but Auburn would need to offer him some assurances.

WOW

Do you blame him? Unfortunately, that is the situation AU is in to get a DC like Kelly.

We had to pay Muschamp $1.6 MILLION DOLLARS to come here for ONE YEAR with absolutely NO BUYOUT after the regular season (a mid season buyout is meaningless anyway because the hiring/firing starts after the season has ended).

I think Muschamp reason was different...he wanted to keep himself available for any HC opportunities.

Fire JJ? The only thing he's good at is offering coaches too much money. JJ hiring Kelly should be a slam dunk if it's about money and buy-outs.

Auburn COULD be a contender year in and year out. Again...they have to get out of their own way.

Wanna know a big reason Saban has been so successful at Bama? He told the AD from the get-go he wanted COMPLETE control. No meddling. That was a big problem at Bama before Saban, and its a problem at AU now and has been for a while.

The AD at AU is a BIG business, not a good ol boy's club...and should be run as such.

Pretty much spot on girl.

Disagree whole heartedly alabamabrown. AU IS a contender for coaches/talent/titles every year. We pay top dollar for top tier coaches and always have a top recruiting class. The results will vary from year to year but 99% of the other Div. I schools would give their whole annual budget and their right arm for having won a NC and competed for another NC within 3 seasons as Auburn University has.

AU is in the discussion EVERY SEASON.

WDE !!!

In response to your comment about it varying from year to year, when was the last time Alabama football varied year to year regarding have a really bad 6-6 year or worse. They haven't in a while. Auburn needs high caliber coaches to get high caliber players or to COACH high caliber players. Gus Malzahn is awesome. I love the man. But he has to figure out how to win games consistently. It seems he has to have a very specific QB for his offense to work at all. Will Muschamp started rebuilding the defense, but now we have to rebuild again.

It also makes you wonder if Gus Malzahn's fast-paced offense is actually hurting the defense. Also, not just Malzahn. Look at other fast-paced offenses, they do not have top-notch defenses. If you get so fast, it is inevitable that your defense won't be as good. Look at Alabama since they hired Kiffin. He has sped up the offense more than it used to be and the defense went down some. This is still one of the best defenses they have had in a long time, but especially last year, it was lacking more than usual.

Archived