Charles Kelly

RunInRed

Personalities aside who would you rather have? Pruitt or Kelly?

You can't eliminate the personality part. Even so, all things equal, I would take Kelly. He seems to me to be the better coach. Better recruiter too.

Read post above yours. He ain't comin'.

WDE !!!

Read the actual article...all it says is that he wants a 3 year contract and more money, which has already been discussed here. That article had zero new info.

As the title of the article states, Report: Kelly Staying Put at FSU.

The very first sentence states also, Florida State defensive coordinator Charles Kelly will be staying put, according to a report by Noles247.

According to an AUC headline, Kelly ii staying at FSU.

hahaha, you beat me.

The article I see after clicking the link has this as the first sentence. Are we seeing different articles?

"Florida State defensive coordinator Charles Kelly unlikely to make a move to Auburn, according to a report by Noles247."

This says unlikely, not staying put...

You're straining at gnats. He's not coming to AU. no link, don't post it

WDE !!!

Cousin's wife's family father-in-law...WHAT? Utterly ridiculous.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would he leave FSU where Jimbo is well entrenched to come be Auburn's (can't even remember the number) DC in how many years under a coach entering next season on the hottest of hot seats?

I would be shocked if Gus was able to pull someone like Kelly....Auburn ties or not. This next DC is not walking into the best situation.

So do you think Jimbo is still well entrenched at FSU after his courtship with LSU? Sounds like the reverse Tuberville Syndrome to me.

http://auburn.247spo...at-FSU-41866280

And other pay sites are saying discussions are ongoing. He hasn't shut it down with Auburn.

Are you saying that he hasn't shut it down because of what the other pay sites state or because of what you know ?

Talks are still there......negotiations can be tough when there are stumbling blocks like uncertainty and security. We'll see......

http://auburn.247spo...at-FSU-41866280

And other pay sites are saying discussions are ongoing. He hasn't shut it down with Auburn.

Are you saying that he hasn't shut it down because of what the other pay sites state or because of what you know ?

Both actually. But you posted a link to a story on a pay site, so I pointed out that other pay sites are saying different. Discussions are ongoing.

I don't why you have a problem with people having hope.

In the end, he may be right and Kelly stays put. But this deal is far from over. There's no reason to act as if it is.

I know, that's why I said I don't understand why he doesn't want people to even hope. Maybe to say I told you so about his source. That's not the most impressive I told you so situation though

Not that at all. My hope is that what CK's father in law stated somehow isn't correct and CK becomes our DC. I absolutely want CK at AU.

The situation we find ourselves is that Malzahn and JJ have already bid against themselves with the Muschamp hire. $1.6-!.8 million for what ? What did that HUGE salary attain AU but having to go through the same process one year later, but this time we've raised the cost of whomever we hire, whether it's CK or Pruitt or anyone else. Muschamp didn't accomplish anything more than what a reasonably good coach should have and would most likely still be at AU. This go around though the salary will most likely be north of $1 million for a new DC. The Athletic Dept. is acting like it's play money. If you contribute to AU then you should be concerned about how the $ is spent.

What we know is that CK is being paid $500K at FSU. Whatever amount we offered was rejected. Don't have a clue about the amount but I feel confident that it would have been at least a 50% bump and more likely closer to $1 million. Is CK's skill set worth that ? I don't think so. There are other good coaches that could be had for less. But potential coaches see how much we're willing to pay and how ill-managed we are and see that as being the same as a higher salary for them.

If you read the Steve Russ thread he is an example of a great coach who seems to be another up and comer with an excellent resume' and is being paid $202K. Jack Curtis is paid similarly I think. Both would be excellent coaches at AU....and probably for less than $1 million.

When crazy money chases an opportunity it usually isn't an opportunity but rather a mugging.

Are the negotiations with CK finished ? I don't have a clue and no one else here knows either. I'm sure the pay sites' information is coming from the university, who may be overly hopeful in their perspective of the negotiation. They've grown used to throwing money to solve problems, yet the problems remain.

All I have done is relate the substance of two conversations that my cousin had with CK's father in law with whom she is very good friends. Her daughter and his grew up together. Same with CK. Could there be a change in mind or money ? Sure, but as of this morning CK's father in law doused the flames. tifwiw.

Have a good night.

WDE !!!

In the end, he may be right and Kelly stays put. But this deal is far from over. There's no reason to act as if it is.

You and I have no bearing on the matter. What happens, happens.

I didn't say we did. I'm saying there is no reason for you to act as if you have definitive information when you don't. Right now, Kelly is of the mind to stay put. But he's still talking to Auburn. He could easily shut the conversation down and say his decision is final. He has not done that. So let's not act as if it's a foregone conclusion.

Can we end this thread now

Nothing is over! Nothing! You don't just turn it off. It wasn't my war. You asked me, I didn't ask you. And I did what I had to do to win. But somebody wouldn't let us win.

It was a bad time for everyone, but it's all in the past now. You were part of an elite group. Don't end it like this.

WDE!

Classic!

A Kelly hire would certainly be a good recovery from the fall out. I hope it works out for us. That being posted, I think it will end up being Lance Thompson.

wde

Not that at all. My hope is that what CK's father in law stated somehow isn't correct and CK becomes our DC. I absolutely want CK at AU.

The situation we find ourselves is that Malzahn and JJ have already bid against themselves with the Muschamp hire. $1.6-!.8 million for what ? What did that HUGE salary attain AU but having to go through the same process one year later, but this time we've raised the cost of whomever we hire, whether it's CK or Pruitt or anyone else. Muschamp didn't accomplish anything more than what a reasonably good coach should have and would most likely still be at AU. This go around though the salary will most likely be north of $1 million for a new DC. The Athletic Dept. is acting like it's play money. If you contribute to AU then you should be concerned about how the $ is spent.

What we know is that CK is being paid $500K at FSU. Whatever amount we offered was rejected. Don't have a clue about the amount but I feel confident that it would have been at least a 50% bump and more likely closer to $1 million. Is CK's skill set worth that ? I don't think so. There are other good coaches that could be had for less. But potential coaches see how much we're willing to pay and how ill-managed we are and see that as being the same as a higher salary for them.

If you read the Steve Russ thread he is an example of a great coach who seems to be another up and comer with an excellent resume' and is being paid $202K. Jack Curtis is paid similarly I think. Both would be excellent coaches at AU....and probably for less than $1 million.

When crazy money chases an opportunity it usually isn't an opportunity but rather a mugging.

Are the negotiations with CK finished ? I don't have a clue and no one else here knows either. I'm sure the pay sites' information is coming from the university, who may be overly hopeful in their perspective of the negotiation. They've grown used to throwing money to solve problems, yet the problems remain.

All I have done is relate the substance of two conversations that my cousin had with CK's father in law with whom she is very good friends. Her daughter and his grew up together. Same with CK. Could there be a change in mind or money ? Sure, but as of this morning CK's father in law doused the flames. tifwiw.

Have a good night.

WDE !!!

I think you went around the barn to articulate it, but you're assessment of the situation as it stands today is absolutely dead on. Regardless of the "insider" information bickering. We've got an idiot in charge who is spending other people's stupid money with seemingly no accountability. Great managers have vision and are rarely reactionary. Surely Muschamp leaving isn't as far out of left field as most appear to think?

If AU wants a good DC they need to get JJ out of the way. Sorry everyone but I feel the same way that AEAugirl does.

We just had the best DC in college football. We couldn't have predicted a job as good as South Carolina coming open and actually being available to him so soon after the Florida debacle (South Carolina fans didn't even think it would be offered to him).

Ellis Johnson and Ted Roof were good hires, too. Even BVG was thought of highly around here, IIRC. It's how they were managed when they got here that was the problem. That very well may be on Jacobs.

Really, most of the hires of assistant coaches that have happened since Tuberville left have been though of very highly at the time.

I am confused. Is Jay recruiting training and coaching quarterbacks? Is Jay calling the same play on first down 90% of the time. Jay running jet sweeps predictably? And the theory of a fast paced offense killing the defense....we have not been fast paced all year.... When we did lead we played not to lose. Heck even against the smaller schools we went sloooooowwww so not to lose.

This is a top down problem and I don't see it starting with Jay. Jay only looks as good as the product Gus puts on the field.

And I am sorry to say it has stunk. Alabama was as close to having passion to play I saw. If Gus could not muster up 22 guys ready to whip a down UGA team that whipped our butts last year and that was basically crippled at our HOME field well, I'm not sure when he gets it done. At that game I pretty much lost it for Gus till he shows ever different. Just rethink the poor play selection and putting in a seriously injured Sean White. Like watching grass grow.....

All I can say is I hope whoever we get can connect to these kids bc thye deserve it with all the fort they put. And deserve better than what they have gotten last coup,e of years.

War Eagle.

Why would he leave FSU where Jimbo is well entrenched to come be Auburn's (can't even remember the number) DC in how many years under a coach entering next season on the hottest of hot seats?

I would be shocked if Gus was able to pull someone like Kelly....Auburn ties or not. This next DC is not walking into the best situation.

So do you think Jimbo is still well entrenched at FSU after his courtship with LSU? Sounds like the reverse Tuberville Syndrome to me.

Agree....FSU is not Jimbo's last job....I'm thinking that Bama is waiting on him when NS goes ......and vice versa. Which IMO means the hated bama will mostly hit the ground running when NS leaves. So I guess the question is whether Kelly has hitched his wagon to Jimbo and will go where he goes. Not a bad plan perhaps.

I didn't say we did. I'm saying there is no reason for you to act as if you have definitive information when you don't. Right now, Kelly is of the mind to stay put. But he's still talking to Auburn. He could easily shut the conversation down and say his decision is final. He has not done that. So let's not act as if it's a foregone conclusion.

Never said I had "definitive information" so don't twist my words. I only related two conversations that my cousin had with CK's father-in-law who has a vested interest in his decision. You say that "he's still talking to Auburn". My guess is that AU is talking to him, not vice versa until the magic $ number is mentioned, THEN he might seriously reconsider the move. Bad move on our part. The appearance this gives is that we're chasing him rather than the reverse. We did this with Muschamp...and it backfired eventually.

Conversations will continue until AU shuts it down, not CK, at least this is how smart decisions are made. Btw, you keep mentioning other pay sites who have a vested interest in your clicks, not the outcome. Whatever they can do to continue a story helps their bottom line, not AU's. According to 247 another "prominent FBS DC" has Malzahn's attention so go click away until your heart's content. We'll ALL know when we know and how much more we're having to pay the new DC.

WDE !!!

Never said I had "definitive information" so don't twist my words. I only related two conversations that my cousin had with CK's father-in-law who has a vested interest in his decision. You say that "he's still talking to Auburn". My guess is that AU is talking to him, not vice versa until the magic $ number is mentioned, THEN he might seriously reconsider the move. Bad move on our part. The appearance this gives is that we're chasing him rather than the reverse. We did this with Muschamp...and it backfired eventually.

Conversations will continue until AU shuts it down, not CK, at least this is how smart decisions are made. Btw, you keep mentioning other pay sites who have a vested interest in your clicks, not the outcome. Whatever they can do to continue a story helps their bottom line, not AU's. According to 247 another "prominent FBS DC" has Malzahn's attention so go click away until your heart's content. We'll ALL know when we know and how much more we're having to pay the new DC.

WDE !!!

You got it tipper. Well know when we know!!!!!

WDE !!!

You got it tipper. Well know when we know!!!!!

ET's post is probably one of the best posts I've seen. Realistically, we as AU fans will know when it's time. We are anxious and excited at the same time because its always crazy when there are coaching changes. Time will tell!

WDE !!!

You are making WAY too much sense. :-)

WDE !!!

I'm not twisting your words. I'm using your actual words. Just because you didn't use the word "definitive" in your post doesn't mean that isn't what you were doing. Your quotes:

"You're straining at gnats. He's not coming to AU."

"Read post above yours. He ain't comin'."

"Like my cousin told me, CK is staying at FSU."

That is the very definition of making definitive statements. If what you meant was, "He's still listening to Auburn/Gus but as of now his intention is to stay at FSU", then that is what you should have said.

Archived