Charles Kelly

RunInRed

Yep...ya'll need to take your O&B glasses off. Sometimes its not all about the money. FSU is by far and away a better job than AU right now....its unlikely we are able to pull an established DC from another school.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would he leave FSU where Jimbo is well entrenched to come be Auburn's (can't even remember the number) DC in how many years under a coach entering next season on the hottest of hot seats?

I would be shocked if Gus was able to pull someone like Kelly....Auburn ties or not. This next DC is not walking into the best situation.

Fisher is floating his name out there about other jobs. FSU is just a cheap place to work.

Understatement of the year.

Offer him $800,000.00 and sign him.

How much is he paid today? 800k is very likely not enough. I am sure our staff is aware of what we need to get to if he wants the job.

His current salary is 500k. Red put that in the OP.

Yep...ya'll need to take your O&B glasses off. Sometimes its not all about the money. FSU is by far and away a better job than AU right now....its unlikely we are able to pull an established DC from another school.

But it is about opportunity to build one's career. The SEC is the place.

Why do you say FSU is a better job ? Just because they're having a good season ?

Please understand that Auburn is a premiere opportunity in college football for players as well as coaches. We are contenders year-in, year-out. AU is a dream job. FSU is an excellent opportunity but doesn't compare with what AU has to offer, PERIOD !

99% of the time with a coord, money is EXACTLY what it's about

Why do you say FSU is a better job ? Just because they're having a good season ?

Please understand that Auburn is a premiere opportunity in college football for players as well as coaches. We are contenders year-in, year-out. AU is a dream job. FSU is an excellent opportunity but doesn't compare with what AU has to offer, PERIOD !

Come on man...

Come on man...

Come on what ?

Seeing a lot of O&B glasses here. Yes, Auburn is a great job. Just not this year. The best options are to land a coach whose situation just ended, take a risk on a rising star, or get some grizzled FCS/Sun Belt genius.

I don't know what will happen but he may be searching after next year anyway. Les may not make it past another year at LSU. Jimbo would very seriously consider that job.

Seeing a lot of O&B glasses here. Yes, Auburn is a great job. Just not this year. The best options are to land a coach whose situation just ended, take a risk on a rising star, or get some grizzled FCS/Sun Belt genius.

I don't know what will happen but he may be searching after next year anyway. Les may not make it past another year at LSU. Jimbo would very seriously consider that job.

Yep. If LSU fans see KS improve on Richt's work in only one season they'll be twisting some arms for a new coach.

Why would he leave FSU where Jimbo is well entrenched to come be Auburn's (can't even remember the number) DC in how many years under a coach entering next season on the hottest of hot seats?

I would be shocked if Gus was able to pull someone like Kelly....Auburn ties or not. This next DC is not walking into the best situation.

Partly because of the same reason Jimbo heavily considered LSU before public sentiment toward Les changed things: FSU pinches pennies on assistants' salaries. Fisher is annoyed that he doesn't have more room and flexibility to keep his guys from being poached by other schools.

But beyond that, the perception of Gus amongst coaches and the perception amongst message board denizens is very different. Plus, Kelly played football here and graduated from here. He would love to come coach at Auburn.

I have heard that Jimbo was interested in the LSU job but turned them down because of his personal situation. He is going through a divorce and has a child with Fanconi Anemia, a rare genetic disorder that causes bone marrow failure. It will eventually be fatal but nobody can tell what his son's life span will be. Jimbo did not want to be that far from his family. He has a good job with a good salary. Could he do better? Absolutely, but you have to respect his priorities. For that reason, the stability for Kelly is better at FSU and than it would be at Auburn at this time.

Kelly has already told Gus no. Don't think Gus is giving up. So I'm told.

Drats. I had heard his name thrown around a few times, but didn't know what his level interest was/would be. He seems to be a much better option out of many of the others I have heard.

I just don't know if AU can pull a top name DC to come with uncertainty in AU right now. If I was a top DC I would have to ask myself can CGM fix the offense enough so I'm not looking for a job again come the end of the season.

I don't think it is the perception of Gus, but the perception of our AD, that we should be worried about.

Seriously...Muschamp was gone regardless of the USC job. He would have made a lateral move. Ask yourself WHY.

I love AU as much as anyone, but unfortunately we are a hot mess right now, and NOT a "premier" job as was stated.

I don't think it is the perception of Gus, but the perception of our AD, that we should be worried about.

Seriously...Muschamp was gone regardless of the USC job. He would have made a lateral move. Ask yourself WHY.

I love AU as much as anyone, but unfortunately we are a hot mess right now, and NOT a "premier" job as was stated.

You just don't understand the wrath that is about to come your way.......

Why get excited over any names for DC? AU has had some pretty strong DCs in the previous 5-6 years that had success before and after Auburn, but saw little to no improvement while in Auburn. The coaching talent is there, but the coaching talent doesn't want to stay there.

Kelly has already told Gus no. Don't think Gus is giving up. So I'm told.

Gus should offer the exact same deal he gave Muschamp ~ $1.6mm/yr with no buyout after the first year. Maybe that'll do the trick? :gofig:

I am in violent agreement with this post.

When you continue do the same thing and expect a different result?

AU needs to get out of its own way....and it has very little to do with Gus Malzahn. We have some real issues in our AD right now.

Why get excited over any names for DC? AU has had some pretty strong DCs in the previous 5-6 years that had success before and after Auburn, but saw little to no improvement while in Auburn. The coaching talent is there, but the coaching talent doesn't want to stay there.

I hope the elite/great DCs around the country haven't noticed this abysmal trend at Auburn.

AU needs to get out of its own way....and it has very little to do with Gus Malzahn. We have some real issues in our AD right now.

I guarantee you we were having these exact same discussions 3 yrs ago to the day. The more things change the more they stay the same at Auburn.

Well dang came here with optimism- but all I see is how AU is a hot mess because of a tough season - I guess AU should look to pop warner for a DC because some act as if no one would take a chance of coming here to work. Get a contract, if someone gets fired, you get paid until you find work. Personally I don't think Gus is coaching for his life next season, I know what shambles the program was in when he first got here, specifically regarding talent and depth. But hey next year no one will expect much of AU, and based on many here that is when AU shines the most.

I guarantee you we were having these exact same discussions 3 yrs ago to the day. The more things change the more they stay the same at Auburn.

Archived