Charles Kelly

RunInRed

There was some discussion in another thread about Kelly having a lot of talent at his disposal at FSU, and how that makes us less sure of his actual coaching ability. But how responsible is he for that talent being there? Earlier in this thread it was suggested that he might have played a significant role in making that happen.

A lot of people criticized Richt for not winning more games with all that talent, and I always thought that was ridiculous because he was the one bringing in the talent. It's not like those blue chips were growing on a tree in his backyard. (And yes, GA has a ton of talent, but the state also borders five other states with at least 7 other strong programs just in those states fighting for that talent.)

Anyway, if this guy can stock the cupboard as long as he's here, then sign me up.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn COULD be a contender year in and year out. Again...they have to get out of their own way.

Wanna know a big reason Saban has been so successful at Bama? He told the AD from the get-go he wanted COMPLETE control. No meddling. That was a big problem at Bama before Saban, and its a problem at AU now and has been for a while.

The AD at AU is a BIG business, not a good ol boy's club...and should be run as such.

I agree with this....

Auburn COULD be a contender year in and year out. Again...they have to get out of their own way.

Wanna know a big reason Saban has been so successful at Bama? He told the AD from the get-go he wanted COMPLETE control. No meddling. That was a big problem at Bama before Saban, and its a problem at AU now and has been for a while.

The AD at AU is a BIG business, not a good ol boy's club...and should be run as such.

^Somebody gets it. Don't make a negative comment about the "Family" though or it's your a**, lol.

Dead on.

I will say that we don't know for sure whether Muschamp would have bailed for a lateral move. It's possible, but hearsay at the moment.

There was some discussion in another thread about Kelly having a lot of talent at his disposal at FSU, and how that makes us less sure of his actual coaching ability. But how responsible is he for that talent being there? Earlier in this thread it was suggested that he might have played a significant role in making that happen.

A lot of people criticized Richt for not winning more games with all that talent, and I always thought that was ridiculous because he was the one bringing in the talent. It's not like those blue chips were growing on a tree in his backyard. (And yes, GA has a ton of talent, but the state also borders five other states with at least 7 other strong programs just in those states fighting for that talent.)

Anyway, if this guy can stock the cupboard as long as he's here, then sign me up.

Richt is the perfect example of having a king's wealth of talent yet not fully utilizing it. Again...it takes COACHING. AU's problem has not necessarily been a lack of talent. One big problem is a new DC every other year.

Talent + Coaching + consistency= winning program.

Charles Kelly's recruits the last two years:

C8Yfmp3.png

nMjs2lq.png

Yeah some definitely need to take off the O&B glasses...Auburn is a contender year in/year out? seriously? I'm guessing that's based on preseason hype cause last year and this year prove otherwise. I think we're building to a point where we can compete year in/year out but not quite there yet. I think Auburn is a great place and a great job but honestly it's not the top tier job like the traditional jobs(Alabama, Mich, Notre Dame, USC, etc.). I hope we can land a DC that's not gonna be here for just a year or two

Disagree whole heartedly alabamabrown. AU IS a contender for coaches/talent/titles every year. We pay top dollar for top tier coaches and always have a top recruiting class. The results will vary from year to year but 99% of the other Div. I schools would give their whole annual budget and their right arm for having won a NC and competed for another NC within 3 seasons as Auburn University has.

AU is in the discussion EVERY SEASON.

WDE !!!

In response to your comment about it varying from year to year, when was the last time Alabama football varied year to year regarding have a really bad 6-6 year or worse. They haven't in a while. Auburn needs high caliber coaches to get high caliber players or to COACH high caliber players. Gus Malzahn is awesome. I love the man. But he has to figure out how to win games consistently. It seems he has to have a very specific QB for his offense to work at all. Will Muschamp started rebuilding the defense, but now we have to rebuild again.

It also makes you wonder if Gus Malzahn's fast-paced offense is actually hurting the defense. Also, not just Malzahn. Look at other fast-paced offenses, they do not have top-notch defenses. If you get so fast, it is inevitable that your defense won't be as good. Look at Alabama since they hired Kiffin. He has sped up the offense more than it used to be and the defense went down some. This is still one of the best defenses they have had in a long time, but especially last year, it was lacking more than usual.

Did you miss the entire DECADE of UpDyke football before Saban arrived ? The Perkins' years weren't too good either. That was 14 seasons of seriously bad to mediocre UpDyke football.

Take some time and read about Dubose, Franchione, Price (my fav), and Shula. The UpDykes' record was 51-54. Besides, in the 15 previous seasons the UpDykes were on probation 2-3 times. From what I understand one more major probation and the DEATH PENALTY would have kicked in for them. You don't remember those issues for the UpDykes ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Alabama_Crimson_Tide_head_football_coaches

Yeah some definitely need to take off the O&B glasses...Auburn is a contender year in/year out? seriously? I'm guessing that's based on preseason hype cause last year and this year prove otherwise. I think we're building to a point where we can compete year in/year out but not quite there yet. I think Auburn is a great place and a great job but honestly it's not the top tier job like the traditional jobs(Alabama, Mich, Notre Dame, USC, etc.). I hope we can land a DC that's not gonna be here for just a year or two

Disagree whole heartedly alabamabrown. AU IS a contender for coaches/talent/titles every year. We pay top dollar for top tier coaches and always have a top recruiting class. The results will vary from year to year but 99% of the other Div. I schools would give their whole annual budget and their right arm for having won a NC and competed for another NC within 3 seasons as Auburn University has.

WDE !!!

In response to your comment about it varying from year to year, when was the last time Alabama football varied year to year regarding have a really bad 6-6 year or worse. They haven't in a while. Auburn needs high caliber coaches to get high caliber players or to COACH high caliber players. Gus Malzahn is awesome. I love the man. But he has to figure out how to win games consistently. It seems he has to have a very specific QB for his offense to work at all. Will Muschamp started rebuilding the defense, but now we have to rebuild again.

It also makes you wonder if Gus Malzahn's fast-paced offense is actually hurting the defense. Also, not just Malzahn. Look at other fast-paced offenses, they do not have top-notch defenses. If you get so fast, it is inevitable that your defense won't be as good. Look at Alabama since they hired Kiffin. He has sped up the offense more than it used to be and the defense went down some. This is still one of the best defenses they have had in a long time, but especially last year, it was lacking more than usual.

Did you miss the entire DECADE of UpDyke football before Saban arrived ? The Perkins' years weren't too good either. That was 14 seasons of seriously bad to mediocre UpDyke football.

Take some time and read about Dubose, Franchione, Price (my fav), and Shula. The UpDykes' record was 51-54. Besides, in the 15 previous seasons the UpDykes were on probation 2-3 times. From what I understand one more major probation and the DEATH PENALTY would have kicked in for them. You don't remember those issues for the UpDykes ?

https://en.wikipedia...ootball_coaches

I've read about them. Yes, bama struggled then. But, guess what, during Nick Saban's time so far, nothing bad. Year in, year out, very very good if not perfect. That's what I was referring to. How come we can't have a coach like that? You might not like Nick Saban, but he's a dang good coach.

Yep. Well at least saying fsu doesn't even compare is a little much

We won't be able to have a coach like Nick Saban until we have some major changes in our AD....he runs his program how he sees fit and boosters and others are not allowed to stick their noses in his program. They have been told to stand down. Saban knew what issues he would have back at the college level and he nipped those in the bud from the beginning. He's the coach...he SHOULD have that authority. We can't say that.

WDE !!!

I've read about them. Yes, bama struggled then. But, guess what, during Nick Saban's time so far, nothing bad. Year in, year out, very very good if not perfect. That's what I was referring to. How come we can't have a coach like that? You might not like Nick Saban, but he's a dang good coach.

Nick Saban's run at Bama is virtually unprecedented. Probably only Bobby Bowden's run in the 90s at FSU and Bear Bryant's run in the 70s are comparable.

In other words, this kind of success is once a generation or more even at Alabama, much less anywhere else.

Things are not all peaches and cream with Jimbo and FSU. Not saying this means Gus can pull Kelly, but I wouldn't rule it out just yet. Gus does need to hurry-up!

The potential deal to fire Les Miles as LSU’s football coach began to fall through early last week as the school’s president started to intervene even as negotiations between LSU and Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher were ongoing, multiple sources have told The Advocate.

http://theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/14179166-63/sources-lsu-jimbo-fisher-entered

We won't be able to have a coach like Nick Saban until we have some major changes in our AD....he runs his program how he sees fit and boosters and others are not allowed to stick their noses in his program. They have been told to stand down. Saban knew what issues he would have back at the college level and he nipped those in the bud from the beginning. He's the coach...he SHOULD have that authority. We can't say that.

I agree. The AD issues are ridiculous. Maybe we should start a campaign to get Jay Jacobs fired and make Charles Barkley the AD.

WDE !!!

You kinda just slid right over the UpDykes' fiascos a bit too easily and come up with a "so what?".

You're right Satan is an excellent coach. No question about it. So was PBB and the UpDykes wanted to fire him when he went 7-5 and 6-6 two successive seasons and then he delivered 3 more NCs. Satan isn't infallible as you and the Gawja and LSWhoo fans seem to think. He's hit an historic stride. It takes mojo and we've had probably the best shot at it of any Div. I school in the nation to replicate such. Our time will come. Don't focus on their success and become jealous. Focus on AU's and give greater support so that we achieve higher/nobler goals than they.

WDE !!!

Thanks. Looks pretty strong to me but maybe not, I don't know.

Richt is the perfect example of having a king's wealth of talent yet not fully utilizing it.

You completely missed my point. I don't know what I could have said to make it clearer, so I won't bother trying.

Recruiting is more important for Auburn than it's ever been. If this guy is good at it, then I hope he stays in the candidate pool. He's shown that he can steer a talented defense to success, so if he brings talent in here then he will likely also succeed here. (Unless the AD compromises him, as they seem to have with post-Tuberville/pre-Muschamp DCs.)

Separate topic- LOL at asking why we can't have a coach like Saban. That's like asking why we haven't signed another Cam Newton yet.

Thanks. Looks pretty strong to me but maybe not, I don't know.

Richt is the perfect example of having a king's wealth of talent yet not fully utilizing it.

You completely missed my point. I don't know what I could have said to make it clearer, so I won't bother trying.

Recruiting is more important for Auburn than it's ever been. If this guy is good at it, then I hope he stays in the candidate pool. He's shown that he can steer a talented defense to success, so if he brings talent in here then he will likely also succeed here. (Unless the AD compromises him, as they seem to have with post-Tuberville/pre-Muschamp DCs.)

Separate topic- LOL at asking why we can't have a coach like Saban. That's like asking why we haven't signed another Cam Newton yet.

I wasn't arguing with you...my post was more in response to people wondering if Kelly was a good coordinator or if it was just the talent FSU gets. My point is it takes BOTH. That's all. No need for condescending remarks.

Contrast that with a coach like Tuberville who was not as proficient a recruiter yet could coach players up to stars. He got the most out of his players.

I'm just saying that we need a high caliber coach and that will involve dishing out money, which I know Auburn can do. The more and more I look at it, the problem is with administration, particularly Jay Jacobs.

But, in reference to the last statement, we haven't "signed" another Cam Newton yet because we are still paying off him and his dad. LOL.

I agree. The AD issues are ridiculous. Maybe we should start a campaign to get Jay Jacobs fired and make Charles Barkley the AD.

What qualifications does Charles Barkley have to be in charge of Auburn athletics other than the fact he's a former star player?

Maybe AU needs to look "outside" the AU "family" as it seems we keep regurgitating the "good ol boys" which IMO is the problem. Its a multi million dollar BUSINESS...and NOT a family business.

What qualifications does Charles Barkley have to be in charge of Auburn athletics other than the fact he's a former star player?

Maybe AU needs to look "outside" the AU "family" as it seems we keep regurgitating the "good ol boys" which IMO is the problem. Its a multi million dollar BUSINESS...and NOT a family business.

Yes, when Auburn does make a change, it needs to be to someone not affiliated with Auburn University.

I'm just saying that we need a high caliber coach and that will involve dishing out money, which I know Auburn can do. The more and more I look at it, the problem is with administration, particularly Jay Jacobs.

But, in reference to the last statement, we haven't "signed" another Cam Newton yet because we are still paying off him and his dad. LOL.

Sniff, sniff. Who are you again ?

Yeah, that was a joke about Charles Barkley.

Archived