Charles Kelly

RunInRed

It's business, folks. You always start with the low ball offer, to see where you are, and then find a place to meet where both of you are happy. We offered. Kelly made his case. Now we come back with what we think will work. Whiff here and it's over, but I think we either give him something he likes ore he wasn't really interested in the first place. Could also be, in the meantime, that we find another candidate or two that have as good or better a pedigree.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LT may get to prove if he has what it takes to lead a defense. Kelly is on the clock because I know the pot will be sweetened to get him.

My other alternatives would be the DC at Georgia Southern, Temple, San Diego State, Northwestern and Boston College.

Why would he leave FSU where Jimbo is well entrenched to come be Auburn's (can't even remember the number) DC in how many years under a coach entering next season on the hottest of hot seats?

I would be shocked if Gus was able to pull someone like Kelly....Auburn ties or not. This next DC is not walking into the best situation.

Partly because of the same reason Jimbo heavily considered LSU before public sentiment toward Les changed things: FSU pinches pennies on assistants' salaries. Fisher is annoyed that he doesn't have more room and flexibility to keep his guys from being poached by other schools.

But beyond that, the perception of Gus amongst coaches and the perception amongst message board denizens is very different. Plus, Kelly played football here and graduated from here. He would love to come coach at Auburn.

I have heard that Jimbo was interested in the LSU job but turned them down because of his personal situation. He is going through a divorce and has a child with Fanconi Anemia, a rare genetic disorder that causes bone marrow failure. It will eventually be fatal but nobody can tell what his son's life span will be. Jimbo did not want to be that far from his family. He has a good job with a good salary. Could he do better? Absolutely, but you have to respect his priorities. For that reason, the stability for Kelly is better at FSU and than it would be at Auburn at this time.

Here's the scoop. My cousin (who is from Ozark and an AU grad along with her husband and two children) knows CK. I emailed her about CK and here is what she said:

"His family are good friends, his wife and (name deleted) were close friends in HS, born 2 weeks apart. I used to change his diapers! He has done well every where he has coached. We would be happy! I understand he turned down the first offer, wanting a longer contract and some financial assurance if Gus gets fired next year".

WDE !!!

If the above is an actual set of events, then maybe he and AU can work on making it happen as a win-win situation. There is no "logical" reason for it not to happen. But sometimes logic doesn't work in football hires. Here I am hoping it works. JMHO

Kelly has already told Gus no. Don't think Gus is giving up. So I'm told.

What proof do you have to back this up? Not trying to be smart, but we have had so much information about who,what, and where since XWM moved to the Chicken coop. If you have a link to this, we all would appreciate this my friend!

What proof do you have to back this up? Not trying to be smart, but we have had so much information about who,what, and where since XWM moved to the Chicken coop. If you have a link to this, we all would appreciate this my friend!

LT may get to prove if he has what it takes to lead a defense. Kelly is on the clock because I know the pot will be sweetened to get him.

My other alternatives would be the DC at Georgia Southern, Temple, San Diego State, Northwestern and Boston College.

Jack Curtis from Georgia Southern would not be a bad hire. He has a great resume at some of the top smaller schools. His defense is #21 in the FBS this year. I would imagine it wouldn't take $1M+ to get him from Ga. Southern either.

WDE has friends on the inside. He doesn't need that like the rest of us do. :)

WDE is one of the few on the boards with actual inside info. He can't link to most of what he tells us, since he knows it first-hand, or thereabouts.

Jack Curtis from Georgia Southern would not be a bad hire. He has a great resume at some of the top smaller schools. His defense is #21 in the FBS this year. I would imagine it wouldn't take $1M+ to get him from Ga. Southern either.

Agreed.

WDE normally doesn't bring info to the forum that isn't fact. He wouldn't just throw this type of info out. And no, he is not going to reveal his source.

;)

If we offer Kelly between $850,00 - $925.000, FSU could realistically not match that. FSU does not have nearly the deep pockets we seem to have. Not long ago, FSU was in some serious financial situation with regard to the athletic department.

Auburn can easily outbid FSU for Kelly. I hope this happens within the next 48 hours so we can get back to recruiting and keep those committed on board. You can bet your bottom $$ that XWM & T-Rex will be sneaking around our best defensive recruits for 2016.

If we offer Kelly between $850,00 - $925.000, FSU could realistically not match that. FSU does not have nearly the deep pockets we seem to have. Not long ago, FSU was in some serious financial situation with regard to the athletic department.

Auburn can easily outbid FSU for Kelly. I hope this happens within the next 48 hours so we can get back to recruiting and keep those committed on board. You can bet your bottom $$ that XWM & T-Rex will be sneaking around our best defensive recruits for 2016.

I hear FSU athletic department is $14 million in debt?

They were in big time debt. Not sure of the exact amount. They haven't cleared it yet.

It doesn't seem that Gus has a strong idea (or system in place) about what he wants his football team to be on offense AND defense.

I remember thinking the same thing about Gene Chizik....It seems like Gus is running around by the seat of his pants. He doesn't know what kind of offense OR defense he wants so everyone involved from the coordinators to the assistants on down to the players look confused and inept.

The Head Coach needs to know what kind of offense AND defense he wants to run, hire the dang coaches to impliment the scheme and recruit for that scheme. Evaluate the talent, bring it to campus and for God's sake DEVELOP the talent you have.

Is Gus an organized guy? Does he have a high level of attention to detail? Does he have a diffinitive plan? Is he able to communicate his plan to his staff in a way that they understand without a doubt what he expects them to accomplish?

I think he does - he said he wanted a fast attacking defensive style that creates turnovers. On face value EJ system you had that potential with a hybrid star guy to play multiple roles. Unfortunately it did not work (talent, execution, etc) bent and broke a bit too much. Well you kinda know what you get with Will...fast to the ball and toughness....I think Gus clearly knows what he wants defensively. Jmo

Probably deserves his own thread. There appears to be some momentum in his direction as we enter Monday ...

6_1032652.jpg

Bio Highlights:

• Charles Kelly enters his third season at Florida State and his second as the defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach in 2015. Kelly coached linebackers and served as the special teams coordinator during the Seminoles’ undefeated national championship season in 2013.

• Florida State head coach Jimbo Fisher promoted Kelly to defensive coordinator in February 2014, following a season where his linebackers helped guide a dominant defense that led the nation in scoring defense (12.1), pass defense (156.6) and interceptions (26), and ranked third in total defense (281.4) in 2013. Only two teams scored more than 17 points against the Seminoles.

• Kelly went to Nicholls State in 2002 from Eufaula (Ala.) High School, where he served as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach for two seasons. Prior to his move to the high school ranks, the Ozark, Ala., native spent one season (1999) as defensive coordinator at Henderson State and two seasons as defensive coordinator at Jacksonville State.

• Before going to Jacksonville State, Kelly served one year as a graduate assistant at Auburn and was part of the Tigers’ 11-0 season in 1993.

• Kelly has coached 14 players that have made it to the NFL, including Edwards Jr., Goldman, Darby, Williams, Smith, Jones, Brooks, Thompson, Delvin Hugley, Calvin Jackson, Chris Schelling, Dell McGee, Jahi Word-Daniels and Mario Butler.

• A 1990 graduate of Auburn with a degree in secondary math education, Kelly played defensive back under former Tiger coach Pat Dye. His senior class put together a four-year record of 39-7-2 while participating in four bowl games. In 2002, Kelly earned a master’s degree in education from Troy State.

• Kelly and his wife, Kristy, have three daughters, Caroline, Kathleen and Charli Grace.

http://www.seminoles...TCLID=209572990

Coaching Career:

1990-1992 Central (AL) HS (Assistant)

1993 Auburn (Assistant)

1994 Jacksonville State (RB)

1995 Jacksonville State (DB)

1996 Jacksonville State (OC)

1997-1998 Jacksonville State (DC)

1999 Henderson State (DC)

2000-2001 Eufaula (AL) HS (DC/LB)

2002-2003 Nicholls State (DB)

2004-2005 Nicholls State (DC)

2006-2007 Georgia Tech (ST)

2008-2009 Georgia Tech (CB)

2010-2012 Georgia Tech (DB)

2012 Georgia Tech (Interim DC)

2013 Florida State (ST/LB)

2014–Present Florida State (DC)

Current Salary at FSU: $500,000

Probably more important than anything with Kelly is the scheme that he runs, which is a 3-4 scheme with a hybrid DE/OLB nicknamed the "Buck" (sound familiar?).

Philosophically, Kelly's defense is similar to Boom's and Smart's, in that they aren't necessarily tying to get gawdy sack numbers when they blitz. Here's a better write up on it found on SBNation:

Philosophically, disciples of Saban prefer to use more coverage calls featuring a single-high safety shell--allowing an additional defender in the box to help against the run. These units incorporate pattern read coverage rules to defend the vertical passing game. Pruitt and Kelly also emphasize disguised blitzes from linebackers and defensive backs with pressure from the defensive line to squeeze the pocket and contain mobile quarterbacks, rather than one-gap speed rushing off the edge.

Kelly, like Muschamp, believes that if you can force an offense to be one dimensional, you will have a much easier time stopping them, and he chooses to do this by creating a focus on stopping the run. This "Stop the run or get run over" mentality is one that is very much feast or famine: if you can stop the run, you essentially stop the offense because your players can simply pin their ears back and come after the offense, but if you can't then your defense will be torched. I think that this agressiveness is exactly what our Defense needs from a mentality perspective.

An Auburn man and former player. I have never heard of him before. Kelly is now my first choice. Let him bring his own assistants.

first quote Sounds good, second Sounds great, bold scares me a little. Can someone in the know please confirm for me that his isn't one of those situations where a candidate gets considered mainly due to his school ties. You know, "we have to hire an Auburn man" consideration. If we get an AU alumni who's good, it is sweet. More important though is to get someone good.

They were in big time debt. Not sure of the exact amount. They haven't cleared it yet.

The athletic department is in serious debt. The Seminole Boosters group has tons of money and basically controls the AD decision process.

We're in debt, but those details don't seem to effect our contract offers.

I don't think it is the perception of Gus, but the perception of our AD, that we should be worried about.

Seriously...Muschamp was gone regardless of the USC job. He would have made a lateral move. Ask yourself WHY.

I love AU as much as anyone, but unfortunately we are a hot mess right now, and NOT a "premier" job as was stated.

You just don't understand the wrath that is about to come your way.......

I'm not looking to deliver wrath but i'd sure as heck like to know what source/information there is that says Muschamp was gone no matter what? Why would he have taken the DC job at Bama or UGA?

I don't think it is the perception of Gus, but the perception of our AD, that we should be worried about.

Seriously...Muschamp was gone regardless of the USC job. He would have made a lateral move. Ask yourself WHY.

I love AU as much as anyone, but unfortunately we are a hot mess right now, and NOT a "premier" job as was stated.

I'm not looking to deliver wrath but i'd sure as heck like to know what source/information there is that says Muschamp was gone no matter what? Why would he have taken the DC job at Bama or UGA?

We don't know for certain if that's what would have happened or not. Moving on.......

It doesn't seem that Gus has a strong idea (or system in place) about what he wants his football team to be on offense AND defense.

I remember thinking the same thing about Gene Chizik....It seems like Gus is running around by the seat of his pants. He doesn't know what kind of offense OR defense he wants so everyone involved from the coordinators to the assistants on down to the players look confused and inept.

The Head Coach needs to know what kind of offense AND defense he wants to run, hire the dang coaches to impliment the scheme and recruit for that scheme. Evaluate the talent, bring it to campus and for God's sake DEVELOP the talent you have.

Is Gus an organized guy? Does he have a high level of attention to detail? Does he have a diffinitive plan? Is he able to communicate his plan to his staff in a way that they understand without a doubt what he expects them to accomplish?

I disagree. Gus had a plan going into this season on offense. He wanted to elevate the passing game and use it to keep defenses honest rather than a running QB. When JJ fell apart, it called that plan into question, at least in the short term. Given that all three of our committed HS QBs plus the JUCO kid we are signing in January are all DT QBs, I think it's safe to say that Gus has a firm idea of what he wants to do offensively going forward.

Defense, he's going to be more subject to what defensive coordinator he gets. But, he does seem to like what Muschamp did and looks to be trying to find someone to continue in that vein. I don't see him going all over the map defensively. The ones he's considered (TRob, reportedly Lance Thompson and Charles Kelly) all run similar schemes to that.

Titan nailed this past season and our current DC situation in a nutshell.

The athletic department is in serious debt. The Seminole Boosters group has tons of money and basically controls the AD decision process.

Institutional Control is not required at UA nor at FSU, as I understand.

We're in debt, but those details don't seem to effect our contract offers.

FTR, The AD overall is in debt. I believe that football, however, is not. If that were the case it would make sense to spend a chunk on it so that the only cash cow we've got doesn't get turned into some lovely steak au poivre.

I know wde already said we got a no. Who else are we seriously considering? Odds we can convince Kelly?

If we did in fact offer just as a lateral with no incentives nor added salary, that is just a mistake...

This did not happen.

We didn't offer or we didn't offer a lateral move with no incentives or added salary?

The latter. Any offer we make will be a significant raise for him.

We don't know for certain if that's what would have happened or not. Moving on.......

The more I hear the more I think that was Muschamp exercising leverage for some changes he wanted to occur. Not that Kirby or Saban wouldn't have taken him, I just get the sense that it was a threat to make sure certain things happened had he not gotten the SCe job and came back as our DC.

The more I hear the more I think that was Muschamp exercising leverage for some changes he wanted to occur. Not that Kirby or Saban wouldn't have taken him, I just get the sense that it was a threat to make sure certain things happened had he not gotten the SCe job and came back as our DC.

But some of our posters state it as fact????? Sad!

Archived