CGM "hot seat"

LKEEL75

What is your take on CGM job security?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. How many wins does CGM need to keep his job?

• Are you crazy? CGM is completely secure and has no worries!
    • CGM has to bring the NC back to the family
    • The Tigers have to win 9 or more games
    • We will be breaking in a new coordinators so 7 or more games
    • Who cares about win totals, just beat UGA & the Turds

The starting qb, supposed to be so good he is in the early Heisman talk, flops. This prompts the starting of a redshirt freshman at qb in the 4th game of the season. And just when this qb is settling in he gets hurt making it necessary to fall back on the qb who played so poorly early in the season.

The offensive line begins the season in disarray.

The starter at Hback is either a freshman or a redshirt freshman.

No real homerun threat at tailback. With two of the better backs playing time delayed by an early season injury.

The stud wide receiver is dismissed from the team 5 games into the season.

The wide receiving corps as a group is average. So many dropped catchable passes with very few acrobatic, can you believe that type of catches.

The school hires a new DC. Defenses starting over with new DCs tend to struggle early on.

The best player on the team, a DE, gets hurt in the first quarter of the first game. Including the remainder of that game he misses 7 games.

A senior DB dropping what seemed to be two easy interceptions that would have been returned for game changing touchdowns. In one of the games the team ends up losing by 8 points.

Even with all of the above going on the school in question wins 6 games. While playing against 9 teams with a winning record. 4 of the six losses were by 8 points or less.

It looks as if the HC here got about as much as he could out of the season.

I don't see how the coach who steered his team through that schedule with so many obstacles placed in it's path could be considered to be on the hot seat.

But... but... the sky is falling...

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The starting qb, supposed to be so good he is in the early Heisman talk, flops. This prompts the starting of a redshirt freshman at qb in the 4th game of the season. And just when this qb is settling in he gets hurt making it necessary to fall back on the qb who played so poorly early in the season.

The offensive line begins the season in disarray.

The starter at Hback is either a freshman or a redshirt freshman.

No real homerun threat at tailback. With two of the better backs playing time delayed by an early season injury.

The stud wide receiver is dismissed from the team 5 games into the season.

The wide receiving corps as a group is average. So many dropped catchable passes with very few acrobatic, can you believe that type of catches.

The school hires a new DC. Defenses starting over with new DCs tend to struggle early on.

The best player on the team, a DE, gets hurt in the first quarter of the first game. Including the remainder of that game he misses 7 games.

A senior DB dropping what seemed to be two easy interceptions that would have been returned for game changing touchdowns. In one of the games the team ends up losing by 8 points.

Even with all of the above going on the school in question wins 6 games. While playing against 9 teams with a winning record. 4 of the six losses were by 8 points or less.

It looks as if the HC here got about as much as he could out of the season.

I don't see how the coach who steered his team through that schedule with so many obstacles placed in it's path could be considered to be on the hot seat.

^^^^This^^^^

2015 was the perfect storm. Offensively, most of the problems were in the passing game. Defensively, most of the problems were talent related. Both are fixable.

"It looks as if the HC here got about as much as he could out of the season."

Not if you watched his play calling in a few of those games, like Ole Miss and UGA and the constant shuffling of QBs/RBs in and out of the game at odd times This should have been at least an 8 win team even with those issues.

Sugar coat it as much as you want. It was his job to groom and develop JJ. He did a poor job. It was his job to have a Plan B in case Plan A didn't pan out. That was a bit of a mess too. He didn't handle the Duke Williams issue very effectively and his offense was both predictable and terribly inefficient.

6 or more? He has to win at least seven games. I am not to worried about it, though. I imagine with the right QB this offense will get back to where it was beforehand. I am seeing a lot of excuses though.

"It looks as if the HC here got about as much as he could out of the season."

Not if you watched his play calling in a few of those games, like Ole Miss and UGA and the constant shuffling of QBs/RBs in and out of the game at odd times This should have been at least an 8 win team even with those issues.

Sugar coat it as much as you want. It was his job to groom and develop JJ. He did a poor job. It was his job to have a Plan B in case Plan A didn't pan out. That was a bit of a mess too. He didn't handle the Duke Williams issue very effectively and his offense was both predictable and terribly inefficient.

Exactly. When talking about any coach you can go to plays players messed up and say look at this

It was Rhett's job to groom and develop JJ and as has been mentioned more times than I can count, even unbiased outsiders, who saw him practice, expected him to light it up.

Plan B was actually progressing nicely until Sean got hurt.

If you want to light coaches up about Duke, then set your sights on Craig and Garner. They were the ones who talked Gus into giving him another chance. Gus was going to get rid of him pre-season.

It was Rhett's job to groom and develop JJ and as has been mentioned more times than I can count, even unbiased outsiders, who saw him practice, expected him to light it up.

Plan B was actually progressing nicely until Sean got hurt.

If you want to light coaches up about Duke, then set your sights on Craig and Garner. They were the ones who talked Gus into giving him another chance. Gus was going to get rid of him pre-season.

Gus is the head coach. he makes the hard and final decisions. I like Sean White. I really do. The coaches did not have a winning game plan when SW was qb. None of his strengths were being fully utilized. SW was put in a lot of bad positions due to the coaching. Also, we do not truly know how good SW is. He never faced LSU, Bama and UGA. We got to see how he does against a good defense.

Nor do I blame SW for any of this.

While white played we lost and the wins we had the team didn't look good. I missed at any point this season where we progressed offensively. Other teams dealt with injuries and played young qb's and still kept chugging....

Sugar coat it as much as you want. It was his job to groom and develop JJ. He did a poor job. It was his job to have a Plan B in case Plan A didn't pan out. That was a bit of a mess too. He didn't handle the Duke Williams issue very effectively and his offense was both predictable and terribly inefficient

Yep I can sugar coat it as much as I want. And I choose to.

How do you know Gus did a poor job of grooming Johnson? Were you at practice? did you see Gus and or Lashlee teach Johnson bad mechanics? or completely ignore them in practice without trying to correct them?

And as an analogy I know many golfers, me included, who stripe it on the practice tee in front of their club pro, then stick it up their a$$ when the pressure is on out playing a round or in a tourney. Is that the club pro's fault? or the golfer's problem for being unable to cope with the pressure?

Perhaps the offense was both predictable and inefficient based on the reasons mentioned above?

From my point of view.. not one player gave up on CGM, not one! Even though the season went to h£!( quickly I could see the fight in these young men. CGM made some questionable play calls but I think there is a method to his madness. I think he gets a pass for this year and next but he damn well should be producing 10 or more wins in 2017. I would be good with 7-8 wins in 2016. War Eagle friends, stay thirsty!

While white played we lost and the wins we had the team didn't look good. I missed at any point this season where we progressed offensively. Other teams dealt with injuries and played young qb's and still kept chugging....

Other teams also struggled when losing key pieces. Georgia, Florida, Arizona, Oregon just to name a few. I imagine there are far more teams than not who struggled when losing key players.

Who are the teams you mentioned that kept on chugging?

Personally, unless he just bombs next year I think he should stay. I don't care about wins agains our rivals as much as I care about some freakin stability! You think it's hard to beat them now, wait until we have yet another coaching change. What all of these pathetic fans of ours don't realize (some of which apparently have influence) is that if we had even a capable qb we beat Georgia AND Alabama this year. Our offense still does wonders against them and everybody else as long as we execute, and getting rid of Gus will seriously risk that. With the QBs we should have on roster next season we should do much better, but I pray smarter heads prevail here

Well then Gus should be able to beat one of the two of uga/spuat next year then since Gus will have the QB he needs on the roster. FWIW, uga was a poor football team this season and had Gus called a better game on O then we would have beaten them.

wde

Perhaps. I don't think the entire game was on Gus, but I barely remember that game that was three weeks ago lol

It won't simply go down to wins and losses and shouldn't; other factors can be at play. However, ultimately Gus is responsible and the fact that there are conversations like this going on don't bode well.

We are very unstable and haven't shown any improvement. Don't confuse optimism with hopefulness.

Lol. It's everybody's fault but Gus and Lashlee

So you don't believe the circumstances should be considered when questioning the results of the season?

No that's not what I said, but I'm certainly not giving passes for the ridiculous calls, the team not being ready at the start of the year, and the personnel decisions. Team wasn't good while SW was playing. Apparently they couldn't come up with a game plan our strategy to keep JR in the game.....I guess I should blame Horton and not them for Robinson being the best pass blocker to him being so horrible at it he can't play in the game? We have around 5 players at different positions on offense who regressed or just wasn't good enough to play when the lights came on...But we don't place any blame at all to the head coach who specializes in offense or his protege? We're going to place all the blame on the qb? And on top of that we're going to use arky and Kentucky as the reference points to say see??? We could've been in the college playoffs!!!

So you don't believe the circumstances should be considered when questioning the results of the season?

No that's not what I said, but I'm certainly not giving passes for the ridiculous calls, the team not being ready at the start of the year, and the personnel decisions. Team wasn't good while SW was playing. Apparently they couldn't come up with a game plan our strategy to keep JR in the game.....I guess I should blame Horton and not them for Robinson being the best pass blocker to him being so horrible at it he can't play in the game? We have around 5 players at different positions on offense who regressed or just wasn't good enough to play when the lights came on...But we don't place any blame at all to the head coach who specializes in offense or his protege? We're going to place all the blame on the qb? And on top of that we're going to use arky and Kentucky as the reference points to say see??? We could've been in the college playoffs!!!

LOL, cole and I have fought hard on this board this past season and we will probably fight again, but he is 100% correct here. It is OK to have hope and optimism, but never let that hope and optimism cloud your logic as to what is happening before your very eyes. We have sucked in SEC play beginning in 2014 and it continued during 2015. We hired a so-called O genius to be our HC and for some reason our O genius can't seem to score tds when we get to the redzone and has no clue how to manage his O players during the game.

wde

LOL, cole and I have fought hard on this board this past season and we will probably fight again, but he is 100% correct here. It is OK to have hope and optimism, but never let that hope and optimism cloud your logic as to what is happening before your very eyes. We have sucked in SEC play beginning in 2014 and it continued during 2015. We hired a so-called O genius to be our HC and for some reason our O genius can't seem to score tds when we get to the redzone and has no clue how to manage his O players during the game.

wde

Given our defense (especially our run defense) sucked in 2015, you and Cole have to believe CWM was a SCFOAMF as well.

wde

Given our defense (especially our run defense) sucked in 2015, you and Cole have to believe CWM was a SCFOAMF as well.

Run D is on RG who is the golden child who should never be criticized or should never be fired.

wde

With SumterAubie and GB2B, for the most part. I am beginning to understand that the athletic department/booster tendency to

*throw gross amounts of $$$ at potential coaches just to get them to come,

*who may not be committed for the long haul due to any variety of reasons

*but may be the "hot name" that, if secured, feels like a great press/rivals "win"

*(WITHOUT developing a strong-yet-feasible contract that eliminates as much financial risk to AU as possible)

*may make it impossible for anyone to succeed in the long run.

Consistency, stability is key...as is motivation to continue to be consistently striving for excellence. That is human nature...that is why we are in an uproar due to the rollercoaster ride we have all witnessed. When money rules over common sense, it is right to be concerned.

I believe, connecting the dots, that the

*awesome new scoreboard :drippingsarcasm7pa: --entertaining though it is--and the

*escalating price of tickets beyond what an average family can afford (in order to help pay astronomical salaries, for starters?)

are two clear symptoms of having a lot of money at your fingertips but not necessarily knowing what to do with it, IMO.

And it's hard not to see the irony in having the perfect storm the same year we got the perfect scoreboard. :-\

we do need stability, which is why i hope coach doublebubble can get this fixed, but damn, i am so tired of bad football....i have not missed a game,radio, tv or attending, since 1961....not one damn game have i missed, and i have seen rough times, but i have never been this discouraged about AU football....if i were younger, it wouldn't be as alarming, but i don't have that many years left to see AU get back on top again

We've got a mixed bag of fans right now, but I don't think any fan thinks Gus should be gone. They do however realize that both offense (ranked #96) and defense (ranked #90) absolutely have to get fixed. They realize that ending the regular season 6-6 and dead ass last in the division is unacceptable no matter what. They realize Auburn should have never found themselves in a position where an AU fan has to EVER walk into freaking Legion Field to support the Tigers again.

The W-L column belongs squarely on the shoulders of the Boss. It's His team, if his coordinators aren't producing, if his position coaches aren't developing, if his S&C coach isn't strengthening our guys, if his players have attitude problems it's all on Him.

We'll see soon if the Gus is in over his head or not.

We've got a mixed bag of fans right now, but I don't think any fan thinks Gus should be gone. They do however realize that both offense (ranked #96) and defense (ranked #90) absolutely have to get fixed. They realize that ending the regular season 6-6 and dead ass last in the division is unacceptable no matter what. They realize Auburn should have never found themselves in a position where an AU fan has to EVER walk into freaking Legion Field to support the Tigers again.

The W-L column belongs squarely on the shoulders of the Boss. It's His team, if his coordinators aren't producing, if his position coaches aren't developing, if his S&C coach isn't strengthening our guys, if his players have attitude problems it's all on Him.

We'll see soon if the Gus is in over his head or not.

Amen

wde

Archived