CGM "hot seat"

LKEEL75

What is your take on CGM job security?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. How many wins does CGM need to keep his job?

• Are you crazy? CGM is completely secure and has no worries!
    • CGM has to bring the NC back to the family
    • The Tigers have to win 9 or more games
    • We will be breaking in a new coordinators so 7 or more games
    • Who cares about win totals, just beat UGA & the Turds

This is why we will never ever sustain any kind of success. We have the best O mind we have ever had. My days go back to Shug and we have had the most success I have seen in my life. Gus has proven, every year except one, that his O is a thing of beauty when it is humming. We have one really bad year and there is all kinds of talk of getting rid of him. We will never get a quality coach with this attitude. I would rather watch Gus learn and grow as a HC than watch him kick our arse some place else.

In a nutshell, this is exactly our problem. And as much as people want to deny it, it's little brother syndrome because of bammers success.

Such a narrow-minded thought process you have. I don't think anyone is saying AU has to be a playoff contender ever year. However, the trend that we are following, the way things have been handled going back to the end of 2014, etc falls under the head coach. Gus is no longer just an offensive coordinator. Every single spectrum from recruiting to hiring coordinators & all the way to player development falls under his eye. I do NOT believe he should be fired for this season, but I do believe he should be held responsible for the direction of the program. There is rarely any type of logic in these things. You are either blindly supportive of the coach or you are ready to blow the whole thing up. Both groups are pathetic.

I'm not blindly supporting anything except some damn patience in this fan base. You speak of trends huh? Really? You can derive a trend based on one friggin year? Is that all you have? That....is pathetic, and exactly the type of mindset I'm referring to. Yes, things didn't go as planned this season, and I was disappointed in the way some things were done as well. But, I also saw a rash of obstacles that change the overall landscape of the team. Some of those uncontrollable. I'm rational enough to understand things have a domino effect in relation to football. I like Gus and was excited to have him hired on, but I also know he's a relatively young coach. I also believe he can get it going in the right direction if we can all be patient enough to allow him to. Even as bad as some things got this season, we were still a touchdown away from winning a lot of games this year. That tells me that we're not far off from being a great team. All I'm saying is people jump to extreme demands when the W/L column is what "they" want and have to watch their bammer friends gloat and listen to their BS. Pre-Saban, our fan base was a lot different.

you go from 12 - 8 - 6 wins. I don't know if you are an educated man, but if you take any basic statistics class that is a downward TREND. Now, I see you are very emotional human being, so I am going to try to put this as simple as possible. In any type of job with lots of expectations, you will be critiqued based on your performance. I do not know any type of managerial job, where you can be exempted from critiquing if you aren't making your baseline numbers. That does not mean you will get fired, but it does mean that you are at a risk for potential change if it doesn't get better. That is the REAL world. You are literally the only person bringing up Bama. Bama is the least of our worries. Take the tin foil hat off, go out and drink some egg nog.

Also, almost only counts in hand grenades and horseshoes. You either win or you don't.

Amen.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't characterize Gus's seat as 'hot.' I'd call it "warm." What I mean by that is, I don't think Auburn fans and the admin are expecting a championship next season. What they are expecting is noticeable progress. So I think what that means is that we have at least 8-9 wins, that the offense gets back to resembling what we expect from a Malzahn coached team, that the defense continues to make strides and that we probably need to beat either UGA or Alabama. Things need to look like we are moving back in the right direction again. And this is very doable. This was at least a 9-win team already with better QB play alone and we aren't losing much in the way of critical pieces.

A hot seat to me, in our context, would be more like what Richt was on and what Les Miles is probably on next year. Richt was and Les is at the point where anything less than a championship (at least of your division) next year is going to be considered more of the same and they'll likely get rid of him. Auburn is more in the position of expecting improvement next year and hoping to truly compete for a title in 2017.

I'm taking it that you don't think we have more than 1-2 early NFL entries? Coleman is gone, but if Lawson returns, maybe next year will be a rebound. I agree that 8-9 wins (regular season) should be the benchmark.

I'm not even fully convinced Coleman is gone. But he may be.

I think barring some completely unforeseen guys leaving, we won't be hurting that much from NFL or graduation losses.

Though it pains me to say it, If we go 6-6 or maybe even 7-6 he should be on the hot seat for next year. We saw this team improve throughout this year; we need to turn that momentum into wins next year

Though it pains me to say it, If we go 6-6 or maybe even 7-6 he should be on the hot seat for next year. We saw this team improve throughout this year; we need to turn that momentum into wins next year

Absolutely it is important to be competitive. Losing close is much better than getting hammered.....ask Tubs and Chiz. Big losses to bama and a few other teams cost both guys their jobs when being "competitive" might have made a difference.

It's for you didn't watch the same 2015 Auburn/Georgia game. Gus or Rhett should have never put Sean in that game. But he did and that was 100% Malzahn's fault.

This is why we will never ever sustain any kind of success. We have the best O mind we have ever had. My days go back to Shug and we have had the most success I have seen in my life. Gus has proven, every year except one, that his O is a thing of beauty when it is humming. We have one really bad year and there is all kinds of talk of getting rid of him. We will never get a quality coach with this attitude. I would rather watch Gus learn and grow as a HC than watch him kick our arse some place else.

Everyone looks at what is happening across the state and it skews their thinking.

Ratcheting the record down to 6-6 after three years has nothing to do with what's happening across the state. It's below Auburn University standards. Period.

Everyone looks at what is happening across the state and it skews their thinking.

Ratcheting the record down to 6-6 after three years has nothing to do with what's happening across the state. It's below Auburn University standards. Period.

Assuming this is the way things are and that they can't be fixed is ridiculous. Everyone sees the situation with the turds and then panics when something goes wrong. You've already surrendered.

It's for you didn't watch the same 2015 Auburn/Georgia game. Gus or Rhett should have never put Sean in that game. But he did and that was 100% Malzahn's fault.

You've said 3 times now in other threads. We get it.

We've got a mixed bag of fans right now, but I don't think any fan thinks Gus should be gone. They do however realize that both offense (ranked #96) and defense (ranked #90) absolutely have to get fixed. They realize that ending the regular season 6-6 and dead ass last in the division is unacceptable no matter what. They realize Auburn should have never found themselves in a position where an AU fan has to EVER walk into freaking Legion Field to support the Tigers again.

The W-L column belongs squarely on the shoulders of the Boss. It's His team, if his coordinators aren't producing, if his position coaches aren't developing, if his S&C coach isn't strengthening our guys, if his players have attitude problems it's all on Him.

We'll see soon if the Gus is in over his head or not.

I actually disagree with this post. Everyone always either blames the quarterback or blames the head coach. Often, one or both are responsible. However, people do fail to account for context.

Either way, I don't think firing should be a punishment for a coach. It should be a business decision for a team. Gus does deserve one year to pull us out of a rut. If we get rid of Gus, it needs to be because we are convinced that he is leading the team in the wrong direction. It should NOT be because he had a certain record, lost to a certain team, or failed to meet (our often unrealistic) goals. That said, if the team looks the same or worse next year, he should be gone. But the rationale should be that it is because we are not improving.

Play calling: No matter what the sport, every coach's play calling is limited by what his players can do. If we had, say, Baylor's receivers, MSU's QB or UAT's linebackers the play calling would have been much, much different. We didn't have that quality of player and that had as much to do with play calling as anything else.

OK., since you seem to be insinuating that is the players fault and not the coaching staff...Who is responsible for getting the right players and somehow convincing (coaching) them to execute?

wde

Pre-season, the three players thought to be the best on this team were JJ, Duke and Lawson. One had mental issues, one injured and one kicked off the team. Then the second team QB got a knee injury and the #3 QB needed arm surgery. That's too much to overcome all at once. If you want to blame the coaches for the above, have at it.

Play calling: No matter what the sport, every coach's play calling is limited by what his players can do. If we had, say, Baylor's receivers, MSU's QB or UAT's linebackers the play calling would have been much, much different. We didn't have that quality of player and that had as much to do with play calling as anything else.

OK., since you seem to be insinuating that is the players fault and not the coaching staff...Who is responsible for getting the right players and somehow convincing (coaching) them to execute?

wde

Pre-season, the three players thought to be the best on this team were JJ, Duke and Lawson. One had mental issues, one injured and one kicked off the team. Then the second team QB got a knee injury and the #3 QB needed arm surgery. That's too much to overcome all at once. If you want to blame the coaches for the above, have at it.

How did Baylor do it? Without using the SEC excuse, because the SEC is not the best conference presently. And don't tell me they recruit better players than we do at the receiver position because I just did a comparative analysis per recruiting and we are arguably equal, if not better in terms of skill positions.

Noticed there are no votes for CGM to bring the Natty back next year to save his job, glad we have some sensibility.

DAG this is not the SEC excuse but it is a fact that the D we faced week in and week out are light years above Baylor. And if I'm not mistaken Baylor did lose to those teams that did have reasonable D.

DAG this is not the SEC excuse but it is a fact that the D we faced week in and week out are light years above Baylor. And if I'm not mistaken Baylor did lose to those teams that did have reasonable D.

Baylor lost to those teams without their starting QB. You realize Baylor lost to TCU (in OT) and Texas with RECEIVERS playing QB. They lost two both by a TD each. Light years above? Really? Besides Alabama, there is no truly elite defense in the SEC. Ole miss defense is very overrated (Memphis, Arkansas, Alabama and Florida lit them up). UGA defense has not faced any type of high octane offense and when they do, they give up a ton of points. Oklahoma was just better than them and they were still playing with a true freshman QB during that game. The TCU and Texas game had nothing to do with defenses. Baylor literally had no QB.

So, how can Baylor still be competitive without Their starting Qb and receivers running the offense? How would we have looked with Ricardo Louis or Jason Smith running the offense?

Personally, I believe the Defensive stats are skewed in the SEC because top to bottom, the SEC has horrendous qb play. Last year bowl games exploited this MYTH.

Baylor lost to those teams without their starting QB. You realize Baylor lost to TCU (in OT) and Texas with RECEIVERS playing QB. They lost two both by a TD each. Light years above? Really? Besides Alabama, there is no truly elite defense in the SEC. Ole miss defense is very overrated (Memphis, Arkansas, Alabama and Florida lit them up). UGA defense has not faced any type of high octane offense and when they do, they give up a ton of points. Oklahoma was just better than them and they were still playing with a true freshman QB during that game. The TCU and Texas game had nothing to do with defenses. Baylor literally had no QB.

So, how can Baylor still be competitive without Their starting Qb and receivers running the offense? How would we have looked with Ricardo Louis or Jason Smith running the offense?

Personally, I believe the Defensive stats are skewed in the SEC because top to bottom, the SEC has horrendous qb play. Last year bowl games exploited this MYTH.

I accept the last comment about SEC QBs....that's a pretty well accepted fact.

Otherwise, I'm of the view that Baylor was just lucky to have some other QB talent on the team whereas not many schools can say the same.....like Florida which did not even have one serviceable back-up and UGa and FSU who had to find a grad student elsewhere to fill their QB slots. Trust you note that when Baylor got down to 2nd or 3rd QB, the WR stopped scoring TDs and making catches.

Have fun ragging on Auburn and Gus....but most of the comments are just "bitchin" and don't reflect on the quality of the current staff or the previous one IMO. All injuries are not equal....and as Mikey noted, AU's 3 best players were non-factors most of the season.

As Devil's Advocate here, Auburn should have the depth to weather losing it's 3 perceived best players without going from a possible SEC West contender to the SEC West cellar and a potential sub-.500 record. We don't, but we should have.

Hopefully that is beginning to change.

Hey DAG.

Baylor lost the two games of the season. And the offense was down right unwatchable. The third string qb that was a receiver played well in his first start, but was bad until he got hurt. The receiver that played in the Texas game couldn't have started at the high school where my kids played.

The Rollar coaster that is AU football goes all the way back to terry Bowden. Why are people so shocked? One reason and one reason only, Alabama!!! No one will admit it, and that is problem. For the past 8 seasons we are chasing after Saban. When we should have establishing a cohesive coaching unit.

The other problem is the AD. Two quality hires in (CBP and softball coach) his entire time as AD. Not to mention the financial coaches salary fiasco.

I accept the last comment about SEC QBs....that's a pretty well accepted fact.

Otherwise, I'm of the view that Baylor was just lucky to have some other QB talent on the team whereas not many schools can say the same.....like Florida which did not even have one serviceable back-up and UGa and FSU who had to find a grad student elsewhere to fill their QB slots. Trust you note that when Baylor got down to 2nd or 3rd QB, the WR stopped scoring TDs and making catches.

Have fun ragging on Auburn and Gus....but most of the comments are just "bitchin" and don't reflect on the quality of the current staff or the previous one IMO. All injuries are not equal....and as Mikey noted, AU's 3 best players were non-factors most of the season.

Baylor had Wide Receivers play QB!! What do you not get by that. JJ was never hurt this year. He is a QB!!! You realize Baylor with WRs at QB was scoring more points than our QB who has been in the system for three years?! Chris Johnson put up 45 points against Oklahoma State. He was a receiver at the beginning of the year. When he got hurt, another receiver came in and they put up 17 points against texas. Are you saying that their WRs are better at being QB's than our own QBs? Could Jason Smith or Ricardo Louis ever put up 45 points on a ranked opponent? And you don't see a problem with this? You are acting like Baylor had tOSU QB talent. Kudos for FSU and UGA for going out of their way to find a suitable replacement. As you can see, Gus and Co is doing that by going back into the Juco ranks. Last time I checked, When Will got suspended UF was still able to find ways to win games. So, clearly they had someone who was somewhat serviceable.

Before Duke Williams got kicked out, he wasn't putting up any eye-popping numbers. Secondly, we KNEW Duke Williams was problematic. He got chance after freaking chance. It is what it is. Only one player got injured and that was CL.

Hey DAG.

Baylor lost the two games of the season. And the offense was down right unwatchable. The third string qb that was a receiver played well in his first start, but was bad until he got hurt. The receiver that played in the Texas game couldn't have started at the high school where my kids played.

The Rollar coaster that is AU football goes all the way back to terry Bowden. Why are people so shocked? One reason and one reason only, Alabama!!! No one will admit it, and that is problem. For the past 8 seasons we are chasing after Saban. When we should have establishing a cohesive coaching unit.

The other problem is the AD. Two quality hires in (CBP and softball coach) his entire time as AD. Not to mention the financial coaches salary fiasco.

You said it was unwatchable right? You know why? Because they are playing Wide Receivers at QB. You know what is funny though? They put up more points than we do with our Scholarship QBs. Whose fault is that? Can we not just be real and critique and quit making so many excuses.

Hey DAG.

We aren't chasing saban in any way shape or form. Nothing uat does or doesn't do has anything to do with Auburn winning games they should win. In fact, I doubt anybody at Auburn cares one bit what uat is doing, nor should they.

I wish people would quit complaining about the AD. There's zero basis in fact to continue to degrade him as an AD. The ones that complain the most about our AD are the ones that know the least about what it takes to run an athletic department.

Hey DAG.

You said it was unwatchable right? You know why? Because they are playing Wide Receivers at QB. You know what is funny though? They put up more points than we do with our Scholarship QBs. Whose fault is that? Can we not just be real and critique and quit making so many excuses.

Not sure why you would think that is funny but it's also not true. Certainly not true their last two games of the season.

Unless the ship blows up and we sink to below 7-5 and hopefully a bowl win to get it to 8-5, Gus deserves another 2 years. If the offense gets back to Gus caliber offense and the defense kicks in, there should be optimism and a renewed sense of stability with the program.

I do not want us to fall into the trap that Tennessee has been slowly crawling out of with Butch Jones pulling the rope. We are fortunate to have climbed out of hole in 2013 that we did. If not for Gus, we would likely not have won the NC in 2010 along with 2 SEC championships and a 2nd chance to win another NC if not for 13 seconds.

I find that older fans like myself, tend to be more patient with the team than the younger fans. We old guys grew up in a totally different climate that the younger fans of today. I am not saying that you young whippersnappers do not get what it is all about, but that you have a somewhat different patience level of which comes from the today's win at all costs environment.

Unless the ship blows up and we sink to below 7-5 and hopefully a bowl win to get it to 8-5, Gus deserves another 2 years. If the offense gets back to Gus caliber offense and the defense kicks in, there should be optimism and a renewed sense of stability with the program.

I do not want us to fall into the trap that Tennessee has been slowly crawling out of with Butch Jones pulling the rope. We are fortunate to have climbed out of hole in 2013 that we did. If not for Gus, we would likely not have won the NC in 2010 along with 2 SEC championships and a 2nd chance to win another NC if not for 13 seconds.

I find that older fans like myself, tend to be more patient with the team than the younger fans. We old guys grew up in a totally different climate that the younger fans of today. I am not saying that you young whippersnappers do not get what it is all about, but that you have a somewhat different patience level of which comes from the today's win at all costs environment.

I would say that anything less than 9-4 would probably land him on the hot seat going into '17, but yes, barring a 2012 repeat, we need to give him two more years.

Jacobs on the other hand...

Hey DAG.

Not sure why you would think that is funny but it's also not true. Certainly not true their last two games of the season.

AU put up 13 and 13, the last two weeks. Their receivers playing QB put up 17 and 21, the last two weeks. That is more points. The previous week with CJ they had 45 points against Oklahoma State. Auburn scored 45 points one time and that was against Arkansas in a 4 OT game. All you can do is laugh at something like that. I can only go as far back as three weeks since that is when they started utilizing their Wide receivers unless you really want to compare their TRUE freshman QB stats to our QB's.

My point in this whole debacle is if anybody has a right to use an excuse, it is Baylor. The fact that so many are willing to excuse the Auburn season as a whole on JJ is pitiful. And even if you were to do that, who is ultimately responsible for that?

Somebody for once should truly answer this. I don't think Gus should be fired, but some of you guys need to learn what ACCOUNTABILITY means.

Archived