seccountry.com reporting

aubiefifty

We currently have a top 10 class without a DC. I have to say that Coach Thompson and Coach Garner are working their proverbial tales off. Whoever comes in cannot replace these two.

Those two coaches have been working really great together and have done one fantastic job for Gus and Auburn. If I was Gus I wouldn't mess with those 2, in fact, if things go well in practice and the the bowl game, it makes you wonder if we wouldn't be better off to just......... ;D

Worth considering....takes guts with this fan base to NOT go after some big name DC.....since most people apparently don't remember that "big name" coaches have not necessarily gotten it done.

Agreed.

I - for one - am ready to abandon the big name approach and roll the dice. Maybe we'll get some consistency. After all, if it's good enough for our HC....

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We currently have a top 10 class without a DC. I have to say that Coach Thompson and Coach Garner are working their proverbial tales off. Whoever comes in cannot replace these two.

Makes me wonder if we don't already have a DC. We have gotten two solid committ's lately. I don't see these kids walking into the unknown.

WoW, every year most want to get rid of Garner for on-field performance. But when he brings in one or two big time recruits most can deal with him one more year...lol Some are now willing to make him co-defensive coordinator...smh. He"ll be on hotseat again by October 2016!

WoW, every year most want to get rid of Garner for on-field performance. But when he brings in one or two big time recruits most can deal with him one more year...lol Some are now willing to make him co-defensive coordinator...smh. He"ll be on hotseat again by October 2016!

I've never badmouthed Garner to my knowledge. I feel as though his problems on the line have more to do with injuries and less to do with his ability to coach. I wouldn't give him the whole defense right now, but I do think that both of those guys would be able to help each other and make for a pretty good Coordinator together.

Makes me wonder if we don't already have a DC. We have gotten two solid committ's lately. I don't see these kids walking into the unknown.

I'm thinking along these lines too. Perhaps just waiting on a bowl game to finish before publicly announcing the hire. Meanwhile, Gus can play his game with the media(and fans) of "we're wanting to make the best hire yadda yadda".

He's already Associate Head Coach, why would he take a demotion to Co-Defensive Coordinator?

I'm thinking along these lines too. Perhaps just waiting on a bowl game to finish before publicly announcing the hire. Meanwhile, Gus can play his game with the media(and fans) of "we're wanting to make the best hire yadda yadda".

Yep. All this plus nothing but crickets about the DC search.

I think Allen is already signed up, they just haven't "officially discussed it yet". Lol.

If we go back to 4-2-5 how does that affect all the kids that were highly rated that came to Auburn that fit CWM's scheme? Seems like we lost alot of kids before their eligibility was up due to them not fitting in the scheme. If we lose Davis, Holland, Cowart etc due to switching back that would really hurt us tremendously down the road IMO

It will probably be a big blow to them. Auburn is already hurting in terms of secondary, and a lot of my friends on the team loved the 3-4 multiple D as it was a much more fun D to run, a lot of attacking principles without having to worry about spilling constantly and wrong shouldering pullers (spilling is a lifestyle), just with a lot of complicated reads pre-snap, especially with the shifting aspect of it. With a 4-2-5 which was one of the reasons I left J'ville, LBs end up being displaced, as you go from utilizing 3 LBs to 2 pure ones and a load of DBs. That makes it MUCH harder to get a job, and with the 2 LBs being inside type LBs there ends up being a lot of the "quarterbacking" of the defense aspect shared among the 2. This means that it's less likely to get a rotation because you need 2 established "captains" of the D and don't want to really switch them up. For all intents and purposes, it makes getting LBs that might be dominant players a LOT harder.

Pros of it are the increased coverage potential and possibility of finding a safety that's physical and gives a lot more versatility to covering either Jumbo Y-slot guys, or smaller H receivers. Still, recruiting those guys is very hard as Shaq Thompsons don't grow on trees. It's easier to find classic SAM LBs like I used to play and simply having us switch out with Nickel corners in Trips and Duece situations, rather than finding a do-it-all hybrid. You're getting into really muddled territory trying to find DBs that like to hit and can be asked to set an edge at times and still cover slots, much like you are trying to find a large OLB that can be trusted to take on pulling guards and FBs (And not dodge, go around, or under them like we so often tend to do.) and can still possess the agility to work in space when their zone is being attacked and stretched by multiple receivers. There is also the issue of when simulating an eagle look with the 2 inside LBs playing as edge rushers, the middle of the field is left wide open for a lot of intermediate and slants to really attack it. You don't want those fast slots getting inside leverage if you don't have multiple LBs to set up camp and enforce the middle of that field.

As far as running the single hybrid DE, it's somewhat of a step up, but still a gimmick. Whether they're in a 2pt or 3pt stance, they're still a glorified end, and on passing downs, they'd rather rush from the 3 for the extra advantage of capturing a tackle's outside shoulder for a bob-swipe or undercut move. You could run a 2-4-5 base and the 2 edge players would still be rushing every single passing down so it'd be the same as just running the 4 down nickel base. Just can't do a whole lot with a hybrid DE outside of giving him a fancy name when you've only got 6 in the box standard. Unless you have 3 marquis pass rushers at the other positions that can get pressure in a 3 man front..... Also with a 4-2-5, typically a lot of guys who would end up being LBs at other places are often urged to play ends. Some who like this might take to it, but a majority of the players tend not to like playing a straight up end. Finesse positions like LBs and DBs are always seen as more attractive prospects.

4-2-5 is best left as a package, not a base D. Doesn't attract a lot of good players.

good post, thanks.

If Garner can recruit like he is doing this season, let him coach TE. Hire a good coach to coach the DL.

wde

Does recruiting correlate high with the position you are coaching...Personally I don't think RL would be as effective recruiting dline if he was coaching TE's. Jmo

I think you have a good point here. I'm sure it helps the parents of DL prospects to know that he will be the one coaching their kid. But think of how much awesome TE talent we could have sitting on the sideline or playing out of position at H-back if Garner was coaching TEs!

Does recruiting correlate high with the position you are coaching...Personally I don't think RL would be as effective recruiting dline if he was coaching TE's. Jmo

I have always thought that coaches were responsible for geographic areas. This is for building the relationships with the high school coaches and visiting HS practices and games but somewhere in the process position coaches will/do get involved when it gets serious.

Correct. Recruiters are assigned areas. Now, lots of players emphasize a good relationship with their position coaches- JB Grimes has been a huge component of our success in recruiting the OL since Gus came back- so we'd want to replace any position coach with somebody who will appeal to recruits. But Garner would still be the one getting Georgia DLs to walk through that door.

Any players he is responsible for outside of the DL committs AU has thus far?

Doesn't he work GA? So anyone from GA would be his recruit initially.

Whoever is working Georgia is doing a good job. Maybe that is where the talent is this year but we have 6 commits from Georgia and only 4 from Alabama....and 5 from Florida. Are we that weak in our home state or is that just a talent distribution thing?

So he nailed down Kyle Davis?

Whoever is working Georgia is doing a good job. Maybe that is where the talent is this year but we have 6 commits from Georgia and only 4 from Alabama....and 5 from Florida. Are we that weak in our home state or is that just a talent distribution thing?

AU cant just rely on being the state school like an UGa, bama or UF so AU has been working all 3 of those states for the majority of their recruits since you and I were in school.

Currently there are 7 composite 4 or 5 star recruits in Alabama. Auburn already has commitments from 2, bama has 2 and Florida has 1. The other 2 are uncommitted linebackers (both sadly leaning heavily to bama... what's new), neither of which have Auburn high on their boards. HOPEFULLY, the DC Gus hires is a big Linebacker draw.

Incidentally, the Florida commit is also a linebacker, and 247 shows him as a hard commit to Florida, but predicts he'll sign with bama. Why the 3 top linebackers in the state would all want to go to the same school is beyond me, especially when that school already has 20 scholarship linebackers, most 4 or 5 star recruits, and only 5 graduating.

Currently there are 7 composite 4 or 5 star recruits in Alabama. Auburn already has commitments from 2, bama has 2 and Florida has 1. The other 2 are uncommitted linebackers (both sadly leaning heavily to bama... what's new), neither of which have Auburn high on their boards. HOPEFULLY, the DC Gus hires is a big Linebacker draw.

Incidentally, the Florida commit is also a linebacker, and 247 shows him as a hard commit to Florida, but predicts he'll sign with bama. Why the 3 top linebackers in the state would all want to go to the same school is beyond me, especially when that school already has 20 scholarship linebackers, most 4 or 5 star recruits, and only 5 graduating.

"Incidentally, the Florida commit is also a linebacker, and 247 shows him as a hard commit to Florida, but predicts he'll sign with bama"???

"Incidentally, the Florida commit is also a linebacker, and 247 shows him as a hard commit to Florida, but predicts he'll sign with bama"???

I'm not sure what your question is? 247 lists him as a hard commit to Florida, but their crystal ball predictions show him 57% to bama.

The quote is just confusing to me is all. It's just part of the process but I find it odd that the same site can call someone a hard commit but still predict him to sign with another team. Just shows how much of an inexact science recruiting is. Not really a question. Sorry for the confusion.

The quote is just confusing to me is all. It's just part of the process but I find it odd that the same site can call someone a hard commit but still predict him to sign with another team. Just shows how much of an inexact science recruiting is. Not really a question. Sorry for the confusion.

I agree. It would seem that the term "soft verbal" was created for exactly this scenario and is in direct conflict with "hard commit".

So it sounds like seccountry.com is just getting their info from messages boards too. We need to lock this one before they get anymore article material.

Archived