Jordan-Hare Stadium Renovation

logan adams

I think it looks great....but I'm not going to keep paying big money to sit in seats that aren't high quality (between the 20's lower level). Just because it's "new" doesn't mean it's better. My seats have been in section 41 for years because I like them there. If they do this I'm going to try and move to the lowest levels of the upper deck.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get the feeling this is shaping up to be Jacobs' legacy project. I read somewhere his public pension kicks in soon. If that is the case, and he isn't looking to retire, he will become embattled pretty quickly.

If an athletic director could spend his way into success, he has tried his hardest to do that. We have hired-then-fired all of the head coaches from he big 3 sports over the last 5 years. The building drive he led probably dwarfs any buyouts the boosters are paying.

He elevated the guy that got us on probation. Named the field for Dye, which is kind of sick. But, it's entirely understandable. Because he has let the guy stick around in the background to pull strings and meddle. Which is probably why we are a stepping stone location for great assistant talent.

And then we get to the issue of the North Endzone renovation. On paper, it looks pretty good. Though, we have absolutely no need for upper decks in the end zone at this time. If they think the market will support the prices they need in order to finance the project, we are all in for a rude awakening.

The Gumps can get away with doing it, because the state is full of Turds who will pay anything to see their beloved Dodge-drivers beat up on NE S Central Louisiana Tech & Military University.

But, when WE have a non-SEC opponent, we don't hit capacity. (See Tennessee)

It's not an issue of who has a better school or performance on the field. It's simply demographics. There are simply more Walmart shoppers within driving distance to Tuscaloosa than there are Auburn fans to support a similar capacity here.

I'm all for the expansion of mass-affluent seating. But, we don't need a second video board. And, we could certainly stand to REMOVE as many as 10,000 seats.

Our bleacher seats are numbered for 32" waists. Multiple times this year, my guests complained of cramped seating. Thanked me and said they didn't want to go again. http://www.usatoday....o-toe.html?_r=0 http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/01/us/sizing-up-america-signs-of-expansion-from-head-to-toe.html?_r=0

The North Endzone, if renovated, needs plastic backed "Fat Boy" seats. Reconfigure everything to give those areas 20-30% less capacity. Then you can talk about charging twice as much as it costs to get Falcons season tickets.

In the long run, people are going to save their money for 65" TVs and forgo live sporting events. We would do well to adapt rather than expand. (See Stanford)

I get the feeling this is shaping up to be Jacobs' legacy project. I read somewhere his public pension kicks in soon. If that is the case, and he isn't looking to retire, he will become embattled pretty quickly.

If an athletic director could spend his way into success, he has tried his hardest to do that. We have hired-then-fired all of the head coaches from he big 3 sports over the last 5 years. The building drive he led probably dwarfs any buyouts the boosters are paying.

He elevated the guy that got us on probation. Named the field for Dye, which is kind of sick. But, it's entirely understandable. Because he has let the guy stick around in the background to pull strings and meddle. Which is probably why we are a stepping stone location for great assistant talent.

And then we get to the issue of the North Endzone renovation. On paper, it looks pretty good. Though, we have absolutely no need for upper decks in the end zone at this time. If they think the market will support the prices they need in order to finance the project, we are all in for a rude awakening.

The Gumps can get away with doing it, because the state is full of Turds who will pay anything to see their beloved Dodge-drivers beat up on NE S Central Louisiana Tech & Military University.

It's not an issue of who has a better school or performance on the field. It's simply demographics. There are simply more Walmart shoppers within driving distance to Tuscaloosa than there are Auburn fans to support a similar capacity here.

I'm all for the expansion of mass-affluent seating. But, we don't need a second video board. And, we could certainly stand to REMOVE as many as 10,000 seats.

Our bleacher seats are numbered for 32" waists. Multiple times this year, my guests complained of cramped seating. Thanked me and said they didn't want to go again. The North Endzone, if renovated, needs plastic backed "Fat Boy" seats. Reconfigure everything to give those areas 20-30% less capacity. Then you can talk about charging twice as much as it costs to get Falcons season tickets.

In the long run, people are going to save their money for 65" TVs and forgo live sporting events. We would do well to adapt rather than expand. (See Stanford)

You may be on to something

First of all, turdland doesn't fill up for West Texas State Community College for the deaf and blind. Saban has been noted on many occasions to have referenced such in his press conferences (pointing out students but they weren't the only ones). TV is one of, if not the biggest driver for decreasing butts in the seats. Secondly, turdland is a HUGE benefactor of Drummond Coal. As the coal industry decreases so too will the $$$ coming in but it will be a long time before it has any effect. Like you said their fan base spends a lot of money on turdland gear....plus you have the SEC Network money and post season money coming in.

I didn't read the article but how much does this addition expand the seating?

If you look at the renderings with the club seats and chairs with backs I would say it doesn't add any seats. Where do the visitors seats go!

From the article.

It's unclear if ticket revenue alone would still cover the cost of the renovation project, which is not expected to alter the capacity of Jordan-Hare Stadium much from its current 87,451. The biggest difference would be in the expansion of premium seating in the North end zone and possible relocation of the press box to the Northwest corner, which would then create suites on the West side of the stadium

Capacity ? No, that is a false argument. My understanding is that this North End Zone project won't be adding much in additional capacity to JH. The general consensus seems to be a finished capacity between 88,000 to 90,00 but not much more. But according to AU, the demand is already there for the premium seating and luxury boxes. Of course in addition the project also adds amenities that include club lounges, new food and beverage areas, new home locker rooms, new recruiting areas, new video boards and a new brick exterior.

There is also this point. Back in May when the project was sent back to the drawing board, I made a post about the fact that interest rates would begin to rise by the end of this year. It detailed the effect that would have on the bond issue as well as the project. I said then that time was of the essence. Well yesterday, the Fed raised the Fed funds rate for the first time in 10 years. So here we are, it has begun. AU is in a window of opportunity and needs to take advantage of it, sooner rather than later.

Someone above said that we don't fill to capacity non-SEC opponents. Well every non-SEC game I went to this past year was filled to capacity. We have also sold out season tickets some years in a row.

They are counting on $3,500 per seat per season in some areas of the new project and $2,500/seat/season in the majority of it.

tumblr_mdinf8SpzB1qksov3.gif

You can get some club suite tickets for $5,000 with the new renovation.

Basing expansion on hitting capacity in non-conference cupcake games is a bit of logic I've never understood. I currently live less than 3 hours' drive from Auburn, but I'm not going to buy tickets and head there to watch us play Louisiana-Monroe, Louisiana Tech, or an FCS team with a kickoff time in the neighborhood of 11AM-3PM. People simply are never to going to make long drives or board flights to watch us play an irrelevant opponent. If I lived in Columbus, GA, that would change things for me. If I had kids and wanted to take them to see Auburn on a more relaxed gameday, that would change things for me. That's why those games still have plenty of attendance, even when they're not sellouts or capacity crowds. For conference games (or good non-conference opponents), which are generally guaranteed sellouts, there is quite a difference in revenue between 87,451 seats compared to 100,000+. A more consistent program would practically assure sellouts with more seats.

Incidentally, every home game this season was a capacity crowd, including FCS Jacksonville State and Idaho. The same is true for last season as well.

As for the long run, I agree with you. Faced with ever rising costs to the average fan for a gameday in Auburn, which quickly adds up if you're not going alone, I think we will definitely see a general decline in attendance at some point in the future (regardless of well the team is doing). In the meantime, I think it can be beneficial to both adapt and expand.

Capacity ? No, that is a false argument. My understanding is that this North End Zone project won't be adding much in additional capacity to JH. The general consensus seems to be a finished capacity between 88,000 to 90,00 but not much more. But according to AU, the demand is already there for the premium seating and luxury boxes. Of course in addition the project also adds amenities that include club lounges, new food and beverage areas, new home locker rooms, new recruiting areas, new video boards and a new brick exterior.

There is also this point. Back in May when the project was sent back to the drawing board, I made a post about the fact that interest rates would begin to rise by the end of this year. It detailed the effect that would have on the bond issue as well as the project. I said then that time was of the essence. Well yesterday, the Fed raised the Fed funds rate for the first time in 10 years. So here we are, it has begun. AU is in a window of opportunity and needs to take advantage of it, sooner rather than later.

I do remember the conversation about the interest rate hike, definitely nailed that one.

With the new designs, anyone know how many seats it would add in the north endzone area? Designs look good.

I was told that it would add about 90 seats to the total.

With the new designs, anyone know how many seats it would add in the north endzone area? Designs look good.

90...? Pretty sure they haven't gotten the exact number. I wish that it would put us right over 90k, but it may not quite reach it.

As I also said earlier, I hope that the South Endzone gets a brick façade as well.

Looks nice. Sorry to see team and band entrance changed. Notice the flowers in the endzone corners are not part of the concept.

They still haven't fixed the bushes alongside the student section either from the Iron Bowl back in 2013. Not sure why those haven't been replaced yet.

They still haven't fixed the bushes alongside the student section either from the Iron Bowl back in 2013. Not sure why those haven't been replaced yet.

They spent the bush money on the Aubietron

90...? Pretty sure they haven't gotten the exact number. I wish that it would put us right over 90k, but it may not quite reach it.

As I also said earlier, I hope that the South Endzone gets a brick façade as well.

Those boxes and everything else will take up a lot of space. There isn't really a need for any additional seats. They had extra seats available for each game this year. If and when Auburn starts winning 10 or more games consistently, then we can talk about more seats.

Bushes are a thing of the past if the renderings are relatively accurate....no corner decor in the scheme now as best as I can see. They were nice but eliminating them probably saves maintenance money and a case can be made that they did not do much for the appearance of the field area.

Those boxes and everything else will take up a lot of space. There isn't really a need for any additional seats. They had extra seats available for each game this year. If and when Auburn starts winning 10 or more games consistently, then we can talk about more seats.

Every game I went to this uear, it was a packed house. It also doesn't matter if the seats are full or not, it matters if they sell them or not. Which they sold all their tickets this year and last year's if I'm not mistaken.

Bushes are a thing of the past if the renderings are relatively accurate....no corner decor in the scheme now as best as I can see. They were nice but eliminating them probably saves maintenance money and a case can be made that they did not do much for the appearance of the field area.

Depends on which rendering you look at. One has the current bushes and adds more near the field. The other removes them and uses fencing near the field.

Every game I went to this uear, it was a packed house. It also doesn't matter if the seats are full or not, it matters if they sell them or not. Which they sold all their tickets this year and last year's if I'm not mistaken.

I get a text message from AU on Friday before each game if tickets are available. I got one every week this season. I don't know what the deal was. All I know is they had tickets available. Even if we're selling out right now, that's not necessarily a good enough reason to expand. Lots more things are needed to be done before that.

I get a text message from AU on Friday before each game if tickets are available. I got one every week this season. I don't know what the deal was.

Those are primarily tickets that are reserved for players families, program use, etc, that don't get used each week. Those are not tickets that were available for purchase to the general public.

I get a text message from AU on Friday before each game if tickets are available. I got one every week this season. I don't know what the deal was. All I know is they had tickets available. Even if we're selling out right now, that's not necessarily a good enough reason to expand. Lots more things are needed to be done before that.

Agree...I'm sticking with my prediction that ticket prices will be used to ration seating and that we will never need more seats...well not in the lifetime of most folks on here. As demand for tickets goes up...prices will go up to control demand.

The stadium fits nicely in the AUburn campus, the game day experience, parking, etc. is right for the 87K and AU will be on TV just about every week anyway getting revenue from that source. So just keep the game day experience among the best and leave the total seating alone.

I like it; I don't know if there needs to be another huge scoreboard and then that type of club seating though. I like the brick on the outside, but I think, really, if we just added an upper deck to the north end zone and put the old scoreboard up top of that, or somewhere over there, it'd be just fine. We are in an arms race though I guess

Archived