Jordan-Hare Stadium Renovation

logan adams

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

I see the term "fan interest" as meaning ...fans willing to make six figure donations to make it happen.  A few folks can get on this board and other sites and complain about the appearance of the scoreboard or whatever but one thing is pretty certain in my mind...if this were really considered a shortcoming by a large number of AU fans....or even a small number of the PTB....it would be on the agenda.  

Personally I find it difficult to get excited about spending more than a hundred million bucks on the stadium and I bet that most people feel that way. if they think about a facility that gets used less than a dozen times a year.   What I picture is the Athletic Department spending that money on the stadium improvements and half the fans not liking the result...and all of them complaining about the increase in ticket prices that is sure to follow. 

At least when we spend that kind of money on a class building you see the benefits marching across the stage getting their diplomas year after year.

I would gladly make a donation if I knew that the renovations were a set-in-stone thing.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually Logan, I'm sure a lot of people would. But, since I'm not sure of the size of your bank account let me suggest that raising so much money for work that probably has a 0% ROI, when there are so many other needs.......just can't see it happening.   At least adding more seats has the potential to pay (or help pay) the cost of the work....but of course you have to be selling all of the ones you have now.

As for capital projects on the campus.  Check this statement from the report on Commission on Higher Education

The State of Alabama does not provide regular funding for capital projects for education; this is true for K-12 as well as Postsecondary Education.
   In order to payfor capital projects the institutions must find funds from other sources. One of these sources is bonds.
       The institutions in Alabama are allowed to float their own bond issues.

If you check through this report you find that AU has by far, the most capital improvement projects in the forecast ....and most of the money is coming from Auburn friends and alums.  Congrats to them. 
I'm just thinking that the Trustees are perhaps reluctant to undertake a huge stadium project that might affect fund raising for the schools primary mission which is education.    JMO

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Actually Logan, I'm sure a lot of people would. But, since I'm not sure of the size of your bank account let me suggest that raising so much money for work that probably has a 0% ROI, when there are so many other needs.......just can't see it happening.   At least adding more seats has the potential to pay (or help pay) the cost of the work....but of course you have to be selling all of the ones you have now.

As for capital projects on the campus.  Check this statement from the report on Commission on Higher Education

The State of Alabama does not provide regular funding for capital projects for education; this is true for K-12 as well as Postsecondary Education.
   In order to payfor capital projects the institutions must find funds from other sources. One of these sources is bonds.
       The institutions in Alabama are allowed to float their own bond issues.

If you check through this report you find that AU has by far, the most capital improvement projects in the forecast ....and most of the money is coming from Auburn friends and alums.  Congrats to them. 
I'm just thinking that the Trustees are perhaps reluctant to undertake a huge stadium project that might affect fund raising for the schools primary mission which is education.    JMO

Quality post! Granted that PDF was made back in 2012, is this accounting for all projects that have been announced, for example the new business building going up right next to Lowder?

55 minutes ago, logan adams said:

Quality post! Granted that PDF was made back in 2012, is this accounting for all projects that have been announced, for example the new business building going up right next to Lowder?

Don't know...just saw about the new Business Building in the Alum mag which surprised me....but otherwise, I was shocked to see that AU has waaay more capital projects in the forecast than UAT.    I'm not sure what has been spent here in the past 7 or so years but the campus has been transformed from the days when I was there and went to classes in what were referred to as "temporary buildings", wood sided huts located where the new Mell Hall will be.  And of course, I tell my children and grandchildren about Magnolia Hall which the ACLU would now claim to be unfit for use as a state prison.  I was at AU during the first "reformation" in the early 60s and I'm amazed and proud of the direction the school has taken in recent years....a tribute to those of us who love AU ....and support it financially.

But wouldnt improving the stadium, help sell out more games? And therefore doesnt that create a return?

Also, this is a recruiting tool (i know we hear that about everything) but i dont mean just athletes. Its a school recruiting tool. People would mich rather attend a game at an up-to-date stadium than an old out of date one. Kids want to go to school where they do cool stuff and have cool amenities. So anything they do to improve the stadium WILL have a return through either more students, better athletes or both

13 hours ago, logan adams said:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/06/when_will_auburn.html

Article posted some months back. What really struck me is this quote, "The key to it is is that we're not trying to fix anything, we could perfectly live with our North end zone the way it is." I REALLY hope that Jacobs is joking! That end zone is an absolute eye sore. That trash scoreboard is absolutely hideous, and has GOT to go, soon. It's extremely cheap looking and very outdated.

What, you don't like the erector set look on the exterior of the NEZ ? I mean, the HS scoreboard matches the exterior, taking us back in time to reminisce about '57 Chevy's and days when life was simpler. JJ is doing us a favor don't you know, a true visionary.

(WARNING: the contents of this post are intended for entertainment purposes only and should not be taken literally.)  

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Don't know...just saw about the new Business Building in the Alum mag which surprised me....but otherwise, I was shocked to see that AU has waaay more capital projects in the forecast than UAT.    I'm not sure what has been spent here in the past 7 or so years but the campus has been transformed from the days when I was there and went to classes in what were referred to as "temporary buildings", wood sided huts located where the new Mell Hall will be.  And of course, I tell my children and grandchildren about Magnolia Hall which the ACLU would now claim to be unfit for use as a state prison.  I was at AU during the first "reformation" in the early 60s and I'm amazed and proud of the direction the school has taken in recent years....a tribute to those of us who love AU ....and support it financially.

The university and city itself is advancing. Magnolia and College intersection has plans over the next couple of years to get a renovation. Parker Hall and Haley will be demolished and replaced. Then of course those old dormitories by the tennis courts. And one last project that I can think of is the building right off Mell right next to the library. 

Back to off-campus, check out this development. It's going up close to Sky Bar. http://www.evolveau.com

2 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

But wouldnt improving the stadium, help sell out more games? And therefore doesnt that create a return?

Also, this is a recruiting tool (i know we hear that about everything) but i dont mean just athletes. Its a school recruiting tool. People would mich rather attend a game at an up-to-date stadium than an old out of date one. Kids want to go to school where they do cool stuff and have cool amenities. So anything they do to improve the stadium WILL have a return through either more students, better athletes or both

This is my opinion on it. Build it, and they will come. Drop the money, and it will pay for itself. 

AU football just seems to be at a standstill with JJ at the helm. Golf and WDE have both said stadium reno is a no-go while he's in charge. Pretty frustrating.

2 hours ago, logan adams said:

The university and city itself is advancing. Magnolia and College intersection has plans over the next couple of years to get a renovation. Parker Hall and Haley will be demolished and replaced. Then of course those old dormitories by the tennis courts. And one last project that I can think of is the building right off Mell right next to the library. 

Back to off-campus, check out this development. It's going up close to Sky Bar. http://www.evolveau.com

Funny.....Haley was a big deal...built while I was in grad school and replaced the area where we played tennis.....and now being demolished. Not a great building but that sure was a short life for it......

One of my favorite features has been the addition of the entrances on College Street.....great design at Toomer's corner.  It's been about 5 years since I was on campus but will have a chance to stop by over Thanksgiving and will check out the latest improvements. .....

Thanks for the observations and commentary.....

1 hour ago, CAReeves2010 said:

Realllly?.......

Yes, really! Look at how much renovations and improvements have taken place at Alabama, A&M, LSU, and even the stinkin' Mississippi schools since Auburn's last renovation. We now have a middle of the pack SEC stadium with our only claim being the Jumbotron. The other end of the stadium is an absolute eye sore. And we will continue to drift further back in the pack the longer this clown is allowed to remain AD and push this project back year after year. If we can't get this approved, then think about how long it's going to be until we get a football facility like the other big boys in our league.

19 hours ago, AU64 said:

Of course Auburn has waaaay more capital projects in the forecast than UAT.  Because UAT has been on an absolute massive campus wide reformation project for the past 10 years and it's still going on today.  

So, while AU may currently have way more forecast for the future they've been slinging brick 'n mortar over there.  Expanding/building/renovating academic buildings, adding student housing, expanding athletic facilities - they've been doing it for damn near a decade and in the process they've increased enrollment to over 37,000 students. 

56 minutes ago, keesler said:

Of course Auburn has waaaay more capital projects in the forecast than UAT.  Because UAT has been on an absolute massive campus wide reformation project for the past 10 years and it's still going on today.  

So, while AU may currently have way more forecast for the future they've been slinging brick 'n mortar over there.  Expanding/building/renovating academic buildings, adding student housing, expanding athletic facilities - they've been doing it for damn near a decade and in the process they've increased enrollment to over 37,000 students. 

With the uprising in architecture going around campus now rather than then, at least our facilities will be nicer and more modern. :D

Since I graduated back in Dec '06 - a LOT has changed on campus. And it's still going now. So when you compare that to what UAT is doing over the last decade we're probably closer to even except in the athletic facilities. I know tuition is climbing steadily and enrollment is higher but I'm not sure what it is at currently.

I'm all for the North renovation - but I don't like that the Auburn locker rooms will be on that end (if that's still holding true). Don't you want your guys coming out with the student section behind them??

1 hour ago, Linayus said:

Since I graduated back in Dec '06 - a LOT has changed on campus. And it's still going now. So when you compare that to what UAT is doing over the last decade we're probably closer to even except in the athletic facilities. I know tuition is climbing steadily and enrollment is higher but I'm not sure what it is at currently.

I'm all for the North renovation - but I don't like that the Auburn locker rooms will be on that end (if that's still holding true). Don't you want your guys coming out with the student section behind them??

But also imagine them coming out and the wild student section be right in their face. That'd be pretty sweet, too. That way when they run out, they can run straight to the student section. 

On 10/7/2016 at 9:11 AM, keesler said:

well all they care about are numbers, anyone can get in that junior college. Auburn's growth has been deliberate and planned, while maintaining and raising academic standards.

uat would love to have 100,000 bodies enrolled, the main goal is to keep Auburn down because they cannot compete on the academic field. uat even pilfers UAH and UAB which are both excellent institutions that sadly are attached to the queen mother uat.

• 4 weeks later...

WarEagleExtra ‏@wareagleextra  8m8 minutes ago

Auburn AD Jay Jacobs just spoke to reporters before appearance at Montgomery Quarterback Club, video/stories coming tonight

Most newsworthy item, Jacobs said there will be no changes to Jordan-Hare Stadium '17 season, North End zone project not ready to present

Archived