Jordan-Hare Stadium Renovation

logan adams

On 12/16/2018 at 5:28 PM, aujeff11 said:

Yep. Who would pay for renovations when there is certainty of uncertainty in the future? Most here were fine with no renovations as long as 32 million were spent to watch a coach leave. 

Is there certainty of having a football program in the future? If so, then renovate.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

Is there certainty of having a football program in the future? If so, then renovate.

I’m all for renovating. Just find me the tree that grows money first. Highly doubt we have the money for both the buyouts and renovations.

31 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I’m all for renovating. Just find me the tree that grows money first. Highly doubt we have the money for both the buyouts and renovations.

So without knowing if there are predetermined allocations for the money raised it seems the money could be there. In April it was reported that a total of 1.2 billion had been raised during a record breaking fundraiser. Of that $282 million was allocated for athletics and $203 million for facilities. Simply dividing it equally among the 17 sports programs would allocate $28 million to football which was incidentally the number said to have been the original cost of the recent upgrades. If football received a share more in keeping with the percentage of revenue it creates then it would receive almost $300 million. The lesser non revenue producing sports would be left out in that scenario so it would probably be somewhere in between but there is a heck of a lot of money there and football facilities should be able to benefit greatly from it since they are the bellcow of Auburn athletics. Someone with knowledge of this may shoot holes in this. I just pulled up the April article and went from there. 

1-3 loss avg per year with SEC Championships and CFP or NY6 bowls in our (apparently) garbage stadium?

-or-

5 loss avg per year with nothing really to show for it except for an occasional uninspired appearance in the SECCG and completely embarrassing bowl appearances (the last 5 years far outweighs the now-obvious fluke that was 2013) in the Taj Mahal?

I guess the question is, which is your preference as to where the $$$ goes?

13 hours ago, gr82be said:

So without knowing if there are predetermined allocations for the money raised it seems the money could be there. In April it was reported that a total of 1.2 billion had been raised during a record breaking fundraiser. Of that $282 million was allocated for athletics and $203 million for facilities. Simply dividing it equally among the 17 sports programs would allocate $28 million to football which was incidentally the number said to have been the original cost of the recent upgrades. If football received a share more in keeping with the percentage of revenue it creates then it would receive almost $300 million. The lesser non revenue producing sports would be left out in that scenario so it would probably be somewhere in between but there is a heck of a lot of money there and football facilities should be able to benefit greatly from it since they are the bellcow of Auburn athletics. Someone with knowledge of this may shoot holes in this. I just pulled up the April article and went from there. 

Yea.   The good ole bell cow argument.   Meanwhile, all the other sports suffer from lack of facilities or money to recruit.   And by the way, out perform football in most seasons.   Football makes enough money off of a poor product on the field and bad decisions by everyone associated with running the organization.   How much money has been spent on paying off bad coaches? And the stupid scoreboard?   And who’s decisions was it to and that ridiculous looking thing in the corner end zone?   Can we not find some student in the architecture program to come up with something that blends into the overall appearance of the stadium?   I’m sure they would do a better job

On 12/16/2018 at 9:10 PM, meh130 said:

Put a thin brick veneer on every large horizontal concrete surface on the east and west exterior. There are some pretty sophisticated products which could do this without requiring any structural changes.

Build a mirror to the press box as in the southeast corner and put suites or some kind of premium club seating in it.

I am torn about the north end zone. The open nature of the erector set means it catches any and all breezes, along with it facing the north and always being in the shade makes it one of the coolest concourses in the stadium. The space underneath is needed for the visiting team trucks and buses. There is probably some visual work which could be done without completely rebuilding it for now. I do like the idea of an updated scoreboard and the putting the legends boards there. Long term the north end zone seating needs to be completely replaced with a new concrete based structure and potential north end zone upper deck.

The north end zone and exposed beams on the exterior are god awful. There’s no functionality to it. Fix it up. 

On 12/16/2018 at 11:40 AM, logan adams said:

3 years ago they announced the possibility of this.. And we got nothing. 

As my dearly departed father-in-law always said....."Talk is cheap."

• 4 weeks later...

USCe just completed a massive facility. Completely makes Auburn’s that was finished this past season look like kibbles and bits. Quite embarrassing, really. Auburn is now in the very lowest tier when it comes to facilities. 

In terms of revenue, Auburn was ranked in the top 10 in the country, yet we treat it as though we are poor as s***. I say forget the people worried about losing their seats momentarily in the north end zone. Do the renovation that was proposed YEARS ago. Either those who were there before will renew their tickets, or someone else will. This is getting pathetic how far behind Auburn is. 

Only thing I think needs to be changed is to make the seats wider, my kids are barely able to sit in the 10 inches currently layed out. Fewer people is fine since we rarely have a true sale out where everyone actually shows up. 

10 hours ago, logan adams said:

USCe just completed a massive facility. Completely makes Auburn’s that was finished this past season look like kibbles and bits. Quite embarrassing, really. Auburn is now in the very lowest tier when it comes to facilities. 

In terms of revenue, Auburn was ranked in the top 10 in the country, yet we treat it as though we are poor as s***. I say forget the people worried about losing their seats momentarily in the north end zone. Do the renovation that was proposed YEARS ago. Either those who were there before will renew their tickets, or someone else will. This is getting pathetic how far behind Auburn is. 

More success on the field means more $$$ from donors 

17 hours ago, logan adams said:

I want that renovation at the North End Zone to happen, too. I just wish that North End Zone upper deck in the renderings was bigger & connected to the West & East upper decks.

I also wanna see a state-of-the-art football-only facility get built.

1 hour ago, LeaderKee4AU said:

I want that renovation at the North End Zone to happen, too. I just wish that North End Zone upper deck in the renderings was bigger & connected to the West & East upper decks.

I also wanna see a state-of-the-art football-only facility get built.

We should “shoe” in the stadium. 

Start on the Football-only facility today.  Do not let Gus design it.  Do not put Gus' name on it.  

Rehab the stadium in earnest when our new coach arrives and folks are excited about Auburn football again.  

9 hours ago, rophle said:

Only thing I think needs to be changed is to make the seats wider, my kids are barely able to sit in the 10 inches currently layed out. Fewer people is fine since we rarely have a true sale out where everyone actually shows up. 

Rophle, I agree with you.  There is just not enough room next to, and in front of each fan to enjoy the game.

14 hours ago, autigeremt said:

:party::wareagle:

Bingo!!!!

16 hours ago, AURealist said:

Start on the Football-only facility today.  Do not let Gus design it.  Do not put Gus' name on it.  

Well he did donate $2 million for it.  His name will most likely be on it somewhere.

On 1/14/2019 at 10:52 PM, logan adams said:

Honestly, I think the folks in charge are just fine with the status quo with AU's facilities.   They haven't made a single step to push for any major renovations and the old fall back excuse (Jay Jacobs) is gone to Gaytor country. 

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Well he did donate $2 million for it.  His name will most likely be on it somewhere.

Sure.  Having Gus' name on a bronze plaque outside the entrance somewhere in a list of contributors will be fine.   

I can't force billionaires to spend their money, but you'd think they recognize they're going to soon be hurt by the monotony of JHS. We're smaller than almost everywhere else, we don't have a real football facility unlike everyone else (that has money), how are we also going to look dusty and old??? We also have Under Armour when....no one else of worth has under armour (ND does, but they have gold and a will to have interesting uniform combos, which offsets the issue). 

Auburn just refuses to be a "cool" looking program outside of social media and a couple cool coaches. They do a good job with the athletics' merch considering its UNDER ARMOUR 

On 1/15/2019 at 9:40 AM, ClaytonAU said:

More success on the field means more $$$ from donors 

if the donors can somehow, even temporarily, convince themselves to pay $32m after one year of incompetency, they should be able to understand the advs of shelling out that money for something better

29 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Sure.  Having Gus' name on a bronze plaque outside the entrance somewhere in a list of contributors will be fine.   

You don't want a bare-chested statue of Gus riding a stallion with it's front legs kicked up?  And on his shoulder is an eagle?  :bananadance:

Just now, abw0004 said:

You don't want a bare-chested statue of Gus riding a stallion with it's front legs kicked up?  And on his shoulder is an eagle?  :bananadance:

Strangely, no.    

22 hours ago, autigeremt said:

As I recall, when the East upper deck was being built, it was built so the West and East upper decks could be connected via a horseshoe North end zone upper deck. I faintly remember this being mentioned, perhaps by Pat Dye.

The reason Bryant Denny Stadium has disconnected end zone upper decks is because the two sideline upper decks are at different heights.

Archived