Jordan-Hare Stadium Renovation

logan adams

I am insanely excited for this renovation. when I speak w people in person about the jumbotron the first reaction is to roll their eyes as if to say, yeah, what an eyesore. They also threw some nice parts of the old scoreboard away in a dumpster, not a museum or an auction, just a dumpster.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the rendering shows another giant score board on the North end also? Or are my old eyes going bad again?

That's correct. There would be two boards when it's all said and done.

I'm probably overly nitpicking here but don't these two renderings look a little different?

11227867_10204360977178265_5773621996391021072_n.jpg?oh=0de9e735aad4d7795eb08978b7652f52&oe=571C7549

CWY_vAFUYAA09NC.jpg

Another difference in the 2 renderings is that right underneath the top deck in the second rendering there are box seats, but in the top one there are actual seats.

This thread is way to civilized compared to when this topic is brought up over the past 6 years.. where are the anti expansion folks/mods

Civilized? I just questioned the whole athletic department...

This plan defies math.

This thread is way to civilized compared to when this topic is brought up over the past 6 years.. where are the anti expansion folks/mods

This isn't an expansion. It's keeping the same number of seats essentially. That's the difference.

This plan defies math.

Actually I think you are incorrect. If the cost of the renovation is $140 million and you borrow 100% of that money over 20 years at a 5% rate, you will be making payments of about $11 million per year.

Let's assume that there are 4,500 seats that go from being general season tickets (generating $500 per seat) and they start generating $3,000 per seat - an increase of $2,500 per seat. Then $2,500 times 4,500 seats is $11 million a year - so break-even.

This also doesn't count the revenue that will be generated by moving the press box to the northwest end zone (great move, by the way) and placing premium seating in the location of the current press box. Those seats will be the best in the stadium and will be much more expensive than $3,000 per seat I'm sure.

There will also be some philanthropic donations - I'm sure the north end zone club will become the "Mr. and Mrs. Bigbucks Zone" club after someone donates $10 million for naming privileges.

The question is, can we sell 4,500 premium tickets at an average of $3,000 per seat in the north end zone - and i believe the answer is 'yes'. I think the worst case scenario is that the expansion is a break-even - and realistically it will generate a few million more per year in spendable revenue.

This isn't an expansion. It's keeping the same number of seats essentially. That's the difference.

interesting

I hope they do put a Jumbotron in the north end zone. Where I sit in the south I can't even see the new scoreboard. I'm not sure who didn't think that through but they suck. I will be moving seats this season.

I hope they do put a Jumbotron in the north end zone. Where I sit in the south I can't even see the new scoreboard. I'm not sure who didn't think that through but they suck. I will be moving seats this season.

Well if there is one in that end, then everyone could see one or the other.

This plan defies math.

Actually I think you are incorrect. If the cost of the renovation is $140 million and you borrow 100% of that money over 20 years at a 5% rate, you will be making payments of about $11 million per year.

Let's assume that there are 4,500 seats that go from being general season tickets (generating $500 per seat) and they start generating $3,000 per seat - an increase of $2,500 per seat. Then $2,500 times 4,500 seats is $11 million a year - so break-even.

This also doesn't count the revenue that will be generated by moving the press box to the northwest end zone (great move, by the way) and placing premium seating in the location of the current press box. Those seats will be the best in the stadium and will be much more expensive than $3,000 per seat I'm sure.

There will also be some philanthropic donations - I'm sure the north end zone club will become the "Mr. and Mrs. Bigbucks Zone" club after someone donates $10 million for naming privileges.

The question is, can we sell 4,500 premium tickets at an average of $3,000 per seat in the north end zone - and i believe the answer is 'yes'. I think the worst case scenario is that the expansion is a break-even - and realistically it will generate a few million more per year in spendable revenue.

What all comes with the $3G's. Same as scholarship tickets or more or less than?

This plan defies math.

What all comes with the $3G's. Same as scholarship tickets or more or less than?

I was told by someone in the athletics department that the days of everyone paying $3,000 for a club level seat ('scholarship seat') will go away with the new renovation. Seats will be priced based on their location and their amenities. It may even be that seats in the same section will cost different amounts. For example, if you have a club seat that is not covered, you may pay $2,500, but if you have a seat a couple rows further back and it is covered by the overhang, you may pay $4,000.

If this is correct, this is absolutely the correct way to price seating. Why should someone sitting in a club seat in the end zone that is exposed to sun and rain pay the same as someone who sits on the 50 yard line in a seat protected from sun and rain.

The north end zone club will have "expanded food and full-bar service". The field club seats would have 'premium food and full cash bar service". Those quotes are directly from the online survey sent out by the athletics department. I would imagine that the existing club seating areas (North, South, Nelson) would be upgraded to include bar service, but that's just a guess.

This plan defies math.

^ This guy is Jay Jacobs

These aren't just assumptions. It's essentially what they are proposing in their email survey. I don't think the fan base will step up and pay 3K for end zone seats. That's more than 2X Gold Zone (inside the 35s). It's more than great seats to the Falcons over more games.

​The T-bags tried to do what they did in their north end zone again in the south one. Guess what? They had to go out calling and begging people to buy into it. We don't have the fanbase in driving distance to pull this off. It won't end well.

Couple questions.

1. When you say cash bar do you mean booze available? I was under the impression that isn't allowed on a college campus stadium. I could be wrong about this. I know bama box owners get a locker they can keep booze in.

2. Why would anyone pay 2500 per seat to sit in an end zone? I may be in the minority but the last thing I care about is getting a $15 "fancy" burger during the game. Spend that money on more bathrooms and concessions so I can get a new Coke and pee without it taking 30 minutes.

3. If all the current "scholly donors" moves to the north end zone can I have their 50 yard line seat? Maybe the stadium will be louder because all the rich old farts who don't cheer will be in the end zone.

Couple questions.

1. When you say cash bar do you mean booze available? I was under the impression that isn't allowed on a college campus stadium. I could be wrong about this. I know bama box owners get a locker they can keep booze in. I believe there are exceptions in the law for areas that are not open to the public - such as suites or restricted club areas.

2. Why would anyone pay 2500 per seat to sit in an end zone? I may be in the minority but the last thing I care about is getting a $15 "fancy" burger during the game. Spend that money on more bathrooms and concessions so I can get a new Coke and pee without it taking 30 minutes. Neither do i, but Florida, Alabama, Clempson and several other schools have "zones" in the end zone with premium seating and up-scale food and beverage selections, and they seem to sell seats in those zones just fine.

3. If all the current "scholly donors" moves to the north end zone can I have their 50 yard line seat? Maybe the stadium will be louder because all the rich old farts who don't cheer will be in the end zone. I'm sure for $3,000 per seat, the athletics department will be happy to sell you the recently vacated seats between the 30's.

I get the feeling this is shaping up to be Jacobs' legacy project. I read somewhere his public pension kicks in soon. If that is the case, and he isn't looking to retire, he will become embattled pretty quickly.

If an athletic director could spend his way into success, he has tried his hardest to do that. We have hired-then-fired all of the head coaches from he big 3 sports over the last 5 years. The building drive he led probably dwarfs any buyouts the boosters are paying.

He elevated the guy that got us on probation. Named the field for Dye, which is kind of sick. But, it's entirely understandable. Because he has let the guy stick around in the background to pull strings and meddle. Which is probably why we are a stepping stone location for great assistant talent.

And then we get to the issue of the North Endzone renovation. On paper, it looks pretty good. Though, we have absolutely no need for upper decks in the end zone at this time. If they think the market will support the prices they need in order to finance the project, we are all in for a rude awakening.

The Gumps can get away with doing it, because the state is full of Turds who will pay anything to see their beloved Dodge-drivers beat up on NE S Central Louisiana Tech & Military University.

But, when WE have a non-SEC opponent, we don't hit capacity. (See Tennessee)

It's not an issue of who has a better school or performance on the field. It's simply demographics. There are simply more Walmart shoppers within driving distance to Tuscaloosa than there are Auburn fans to support a similar capacity here.

I'm all for the expansion of mass-affluent seating. But, we don't need a second video board. And, we could certainly stand to REMOVE as many as 10,000 seats.

Our bleacher seats are numbered for 32" waists. Multiple times this year, my guests complained of cramped seating. Thanked me and said they didn't want to go again. http://www.usatoday....o-toe.html?_r=0 http://www.nytimes.c...o-toe.html?_r=0

The North Endzone, if renovated, needs plastic backed "Fat Boy" seats. Reconfigure everything to give those areas 20-30% less capacity. Then you can talk about charging twice as much as it costs to get Falcons season tickets.

In the long run, people are going to save their money for 65" TVs and forgo live sporting events. We would do well to adapt rather than expand. (See Stanford)

This is in a nutshell what I responded in the "comments" part of the survey. I told them that I also go to NFL games, and that they are inching closer to NFL prices, therefore I will start expecting an NFL experience. And an actual SEAT is on the top of that list. I'm not big by any means, but seating has become so incredibly cramped. Luckily we have end seats and often end up spilling into the aisle. The food selection is lacking, and quite frankly, I wouldn't be opposed to selling beer in the stadium. But adding seats I think is a waste. People simply aren't coming and to add seats cost money which means ticket prices and or TUF minimum donation amount go up. At some point, that money is better spent elsewhere and I can watch the games at home.

I'm probably overly nitpicking here but don't these two renderings look a little different?

11227867_10204360977178265_5773621996391021072_n.jpg?oh=0de9e735aad4d7795eb08978b7652f52&oe=571C7549

CWY_vAFUYAA09NC.jpg

Another difference in the 2 renderings is that right underneath the top deck in the second rendering there are box seats, but in the top one there are actual seats.

Seeing this picture I wonder if this means they will move all visitor seats to the upper deck on visitor side? Where would the visiting band sit?

I get the feeling this is shaping up to be Jacobs' legacy project. I read somewhere his public pension kicks in soon. If that is the case, and he isn't looking to retire, he will become embattled pretty quickly.

If an athletic director could spend his way into success, he has tried his hardest to do that. We have hired-then-fired all of the head coaches from he big 3 sports over the last 5 years. The building drive he led probably dwarfs any buyouts the boosters are paying.

He elevated the guy that got us on probation. Named the field for Dye, which is kind of sick. But, it's entirely understandable. Because he has let the guy stick around in the background to pull strings and meddle. Which is probably why we are a stepping stone location for great assistant talent.

And then we get to the issue of the North Endzone renovation. On paper, it looks pretty good. Though, we have absolutely no need for upper decks in the end zone at this time. If they think the market will support the prices they need in order to finance the project, we are all in for a rude awakening.

The Gumps can get away with doing it, because the state is full of Turds who will pay anything to see their beloved Dodge-drivers beat up on NE S Central Louisiana Tech & Military University.

But, when WE have a non-SEC opponent, we don't hit capacity. (See Tennessee)

It's not an issue of who has a better school or performance on the field. It's simply demographics. There are simply more Walmart shoppers within driving distance to Tuscaloosa than there are Auburn fans to support a similar capacity here.

I'm all for the expansion of mass-affluent seating. But, we don't need a second video board. And, we could certainly stand to REMOVE as many as 10,000 seats.

Our bleacher seats are numbered for 32" waists. Multiple times this year, my guests complained of cramped seating. Thanked me and said they didn't want to go again. http://www.usatoday....o-toe.html?_r=0 http://www.nytimes.c...o-toe.html?_r=0

The North Endzone, if renovated, needs plastic backed "Fat Boy" seats. Reconfigure everything to give those areas 20-30% less capacity. Then you can talk about charging twice as much as it costs to get Falcons season tickets.

In the long run, people are going to save their money for 65" TVs and forgo live sporting events. We would do well to adapt rather than expand. (See Stanford)

This is in a nutshell what I responded in the "comments" part of the survey. I told them that I also go to NFL games, and that they are inching closer to NFL prices, therefore I will start expecting an NFL experience. And an actual SEAT is on the top of that list. I'm not big by any means, but seating has become so incredibly cramped. Luckily we have end seats and often end up spilling into the aisle. The food selection is lacking, and quite frankly, I wouldn't be opposed to selling beer in the stadium. But adding seats I think is a waste. People simply aren't coming and to add seats cost money which means ticket prices and or TUF minimum donation amount go up. At some point, that money is better spent elsewhere and I can watch the games at home.

Did you completely miss the point of the renovation....? It will add concessions. The purpose of it isn't to expand the capacity.

Skepticism of this renovation is pretty mind boggling to me.

I agree. There is demand for premium seating just not from board posters.

Exactly haha. Just because people here don't meet the demand doesn't mean there are several others out there that don't as well. The whole point of this project is to meet people's demands. I'm ecstatic for this renovation.

Archived