Jordan-Hare Stadium Renovation

logan adams

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

True, no energy around our program. Even before our loss to LSU I was really disappointed with the stadium's environment the first few games. Even walking around Toomer's there just isn't a "buzz" around campus or the town. Like or dislike Gus he's not the guy to drum up excitement.

Kentucky has a lot more hype around them right now then we've had for a few years. People can point to last season all they want but 4 losses is still extremely frustrating with the roster we had last season and how they showed they could play when handled correctly.

The stadium environment has gone extremely downhill on game days ever since the JAYbotron was installed. Everyone is just freaking staring at that thing all game long instead of paying attention to the game on the field. It seems the only games now a days that truly fire up the crowd up to what we are used to is the georgia and bama games. Exactly. Nothing about Gus is exciting at all. He does not exude the personality of a Bruce Pearl. Of a A Dabo. He does not have the IT factor where he is a magnet for attention and people crave to cover them like a Saban or Urban. If his offenses look like they have this season then yah there is nothing remotely exciting or entertaining about Malzahn and you get apathy from the fans when it comes to buzz and the environment on game days.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That JAYbotron hasn't done crap but coast us tons of money. Jacobs was always good at spending other peoples money then making everyone think it was well spent. Thank heavens he's no longer on the Plains.

• 2 months later...

Complaining about the jumbotron....really? What's next, the TP that's in the bathrooms, the hill you have to walk up in front of the Haley Center to get Toomer's corner, or this or that. 😤

2 hours ago, creed said:

Complaining about the jumbotron....really? What's next, the TP that's in the bathrooms, the hill you have to walk up in front of the Haley Center to get Toomer's corner, or this or that. 😤

Face it Creed MAUnstar. Jordan Hare is one of the worst stadiums in the SEC after literally everyone but us has done a major renovation since the last time we have. All we do is slap band aids on stuff.

I just don’t think anyone at Auburn who actually has the authority to do something has the will to do it.  What we have right now is a good team one year out of three and a contract that locks us into that for the foreseeable future.  It’s hard to convince the donors that could make it happen to invest in the future of the program with all the frustration surrounding it today.  The $32 million would go a long way toward improving the stadium but Gus and his attorney are going to eventually get that one way or another.  

3 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

I just don’t think anyone at Auburn who actually has the authority to do something has the will to do it.  What we have right now is a good team one year out of three and a contract that locks us into that for the foreseeable future.  It’s hard to convince the donors that could make it happen to invest in the future of the program with all the frustration surrounding it today.  The $32 million would go a long way toward improving the stadium but Gus and his attorney are going to eventually get that one way or another.  

Alabama started a lot of their big renovations while shula was still the coach.  We do not do anything major even after our magical seasons. You cannot just wait till you have THE coach to do this. You got to take a leap of faith sometimes. IDK what it is. We lack vision and people unwilling to see the big picture. We just keep falling further and further behind.

12 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

Yep. Who would pay for renovations when there is certainty of uncertainty in the future? Most here were fine with no renovations as long as 32 million were spent to watch a coach leave. 

The problem I see with all of this, these renovations will help Auburn regardless of the coach. I think it is a ridiculous tantrum to say you won't better the facilities or a football only building just because you do not want Malzahn as coach.  These facilities help with recruits as well as new coaches to come lead the program if need be. The Auburn Arena had to help to bring in Pearl. Just build it!

20 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

The problem I see with all of this, these renovations will help Auburn regardless of the coach. I think it is a ridiculous tantrum to say you won't better the facilities or a football only building just because you do not want Malzahn as coach.  These facilities help with recruits as well as new coaches to come lead the program if need be. The Auburn Arena had to help to bring in Pearl. Just build it!

The same fans that wanted us to buyout our coach, also wants to start major innovations right now.  How does that work? The renovations will certainly help with the recruiting of coaches and players, but who is going to sign off on the upgrades when we have a buyout looming? 

I just wish they would match the three corners to the corner that was completed this fall just to make them all look the same.  I actually like the Jumbotron on the inside as well as the sound system.  Also, can’t add more seats until we pack the house again...  Didn’t do that all season this year, even when we were still in contention.  Not one game. 

Put a thin brick veneer on every large horizontal concrete surface on the east and west exterior. There are some pretty sophisticated products which could do this without requiring any structural changes.

Build a mirror to the press box as in the southeast corner and put suites or some kind of premium club seating in it.

I am torn about the north end zone. The open nature of the erector set means it catches any and all breezes, along with it facing the north and always being in the shade makes it one of the coolest concourses in the stadium. The space underneath is needed for the visiting team trucks and buses. There is probably some visual work which could be done without completely rebuilding it for now. I do like the idea of an updated scoreboard and the putting the legends boards there. Long term the north end zone seating needs to be completely replaced with a new concrete based structure and potential north end zone upper deck.

9 hours ago, creed said:

Now that you mention the Hill......am I the only person that wants to hijack one of those golf carts that is always forcing their way through the crowd after the games? 

3 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Basketball players are at AU Arena every day.  Football players only go to JHS for scrimmages or games.  A football only facility would have a far greater impact on recruiting than any comestic stadium upgrade like bricking the outside.

The difference between JHS and Auburn Arena is that Auburn Arena also houses the hoops practice facilities and weight rooms.  We as fans just don't have access to those areas.

12 hours ago, creed said:

I hate the jumbotron too. It ruined the charm of JH. It is (very literally) not some little issue like TP in the bathrooms. It's an eyesore larger than the statue of liberty.

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I hate the jumbotron too. It ruined the charm of JH. It is (very literally) not some little issue like TP in the bathrooms. It's an eyesore larger than the statue of liberty.

I'm indifferent to it but my wife loves it.  I bet most of the people in the upper decks love it too. Not sure what you mean by charm of JH, but the charm i recognize doesn't have anything do do with the structure but more of the game day experience.

2 hours ago, creed said:

I'm indifferent to it but my wife loves it.  I bet most of the people in the upper decks love it too. Not sure what you mean by charm of JH, but the charm i recognize doesn't have anything do do with the structure but more of the game day experience.

Its the nature of college and even the NFL. Every team has or plans to have a jumbotron type display in their stadium. Trust me, when recruits come, they use it to impress the recruit w/ videos. 

And haven't you seen the players on the field always look up to see the replay if they have scored or made a big play? They eat that stuff up on those gigantic screens.

It is the game day experience as you say. And for me the jumbotron is just fine. Now just get me some chairback seats, and I am happy AU fan...

16 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

The same fans that wanted us to buyout our coach, also wants to start major innovations right now.  How does that work? The renovations will certainly help with the recruiting of coaches and players, but who is going to sign off on the upgrades when we have a buyout looming? 

It's not the fans. The BOT that makes contract decisions is the same BOT that makes decisions on the stadium. That tells you about their priorities and where the problem lies. They created it. Long term decisions to improve a stadium have nothing to do with short term decisions on who the present coach is at any given time.

As far as the stadium is concerned we need to do something about the long term improvements.

My personal opinion is:

* We need to balance out the stadium on the other side of the jumbotron now with a duplicate structure. I like the jumbotron but as time goes by it does seem just a 'tad' too big for the stadium, but, it's there so we move on.

* We need to do the North EZ improvement package we have all seen, complete with luxury suites and the smaller corner jumbotrons.

* We need to brick up the stadium façade.

* We need to pull out the bench seats and install chair back seating. If that means we end up with less overall seating, say in the low 80s, then so be it. Luxury boxes in the new North EZ will easily make up the revenue difference. Fewer seats but much nicer all around.

35 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Long term decisions to improve a stadium have nothing to do with short term decisions on who the present coach is at any given time.

We don’t have a never ending well of resources to draw from.

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

We don’t have a never ending well of resources to draw from.

No program does. But long term capital decisions must be separate from short term personnel/contract decisions. The financing is totally different in each case. Most other SEC programs seem to understand this which is why we are in the position we are in.

21 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Alabama started a lot of their big renovations while shula was still the coach.  We do not do anything major even after our magical seasons. You cannot just wait till you have THE coach to do this. You got to take a leap of faith sometimes. IDK what it is. We lack vision and people unwilling to see the big picture. We just keep falling further and further behind.

We did the West Upper Deck when Barfield was coach. That was Step 1, where we told Birmingham and Legion Field to pound sand, we were taking all of the big SEC games to Auburn. Step 2, the East Upper Deck gets more publicity because it led to the Iron Bowl coming to Auburn. But the the 1979 addition of the West Upper Deck was the bigger deal, and was done at the nadir of Auburn football.

On 12/16/2018 at 3:55 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Face it Creed MAUnstar. Jordan Hare is one of the worst stadiums in the SEC after literally everyone but us has done a major renovation since the last time we have. All we do is slap band aids on stuff.

and the band aids don't even match

Archived