Men vs. Xavier - game thread

WarTiger

I wouldn't go so far as to say AU is "that bad" but Xavier IS that good ... And we had a bad game.

Teams as good as Xavier make teams like AU look worse than they are. AU is a .500 SEC team. That means good teams will exploit them and dominate. That's all that happened today. Tip your cap and move on.

Seeing as how its December and conference play hasn't started yet, we don't know that. NOBODY knows that.

Not .500 in SEC play but .500 overall right now. I know they are 5-4 but they are close to .500 and I expect them to leave Hawaii .500 overall. I don't know how they will do in the SEC but seeing the records so far, AU is squarely in the middle of the SEC West. Clearly better than last year, but also with a long way to go. It's not a slight. I still like watching this team play against teams they can compete with since they are playing a better brand of basketball. They just can't compete with any of the NCAA tournament teams at this point.

You're overstating by a mile-- AU can play with several tournament teams. At this point in the season, Xavier has been looking pretty elite.

I'm going to bow out here. I've made my point. I'm happy with the track AU is on. Looking forward to the Hawaii games.

War Eagle guys!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't go so far as to say AU is "that bad" but Xavier IS that good ... And we had a bad game.

Teams as good as Xavier make teams like AU look worse than they are. AU is a .500 SEC team. That means good teams will exploit them and dominate. That's all that happened today. Tip your cap and move on.

Seeing as how its December and conference play hasn't started yet, we don't know that. NOBODY knows that.

Not .500 in SEC play but .500 overall right now. I know they are 5-4 but they are close to .500 and I expect them to leave Hawaii .500 overall. I don't know how they will do in the SEC but seeing the records so far, AU is squarely in the middle of the SEC West. Clearly better than last year, but also with a long way to go. It's not a slight. I still like watching this team play against teams they can compete with since they are playing a better brand of basketball. They just can't compete with any of the NCAA tournament teams at this point.

Seems that like this year....as in many past years..... we are still dependent on one main scorer and success or failure is going to depend on whether a couple other guys can do some serious rebounding or score in double figures. Today, Canty was the only guy who seemed to have much of a shooting day and without a great effort from him, the results would really have been bad. Brown, Dunnans and Bowers shot about 30% combined.. Not going far with that kind of shooting.

As for competing with NCAA teams....considering that Xavier was a top 10 team ...playing at home...and there are 68 teams going to the NCAA....I think we have a chance to impact who from the SEC gets selected.

Not there yet but still improving. Important to improve. Hopefully get back on track in Hawaii. SEC schedule important. Can take some food things from today, but in short, Canty needs help, and we can't make stupid in game decisions. Get those ironed out and this is a new team! We'll get together

Seems that like this year....as in many past years..... we are still dependent on one main scorer and success or failure is going to depend on whether a couple other guys can do some serious rebounding or score in double figures. Today, Canty was the only guy who seemed to have much of a shooting day and without a great effort from him, the results would really have been bad. Brown, Dunnans and Bowers shot about 30% combined.. Not going far with that kind of shooting.

As for competing with NCAA teams....considering that Xavier was a top 10 team ...playing at home...and there are 68 teams going to the NCAA....I think we have a chance to impact who from the SEC gets selected.

We're 5-3 and need just one win in Hawaii to be over .500 going into SEC play

Xavier could beat anybody in the country with that team right now. Those guys are good at basketball. They move ball and hardly ever miss a shot. We're just not at that level yet, but we are climbing. These games will be helpful to the future of this club. We go to these environments and see what it's like to play against a great team where everything's going against you and still be down by only single digits at halftime. This will help down the road this season, I'm really expecting this team to do well in SEC play.

We're 5-3 and need just one win in Hawaii to be over .500 going into SEC play

Ah my bad, though AU was 5-3 going into today. Hawaii will be interesting to watch. Glad to have back-to-back days to watch AU basketball after that long 2 week layoff. That felt like forever.

I think once these guys become a true team, they will be very good against most teams in the SEC. I think they just need more games together and they will be better. No shame in getting beaten badly by such a great team as Xavier. I think Coach Pearl has them in the right direction and the future is bright.

WDE

Anybody got any info on CBP's slight admonishment of the Xavier coach after the game? Apparently CBP thought their bench was trying to show us up a little bit due to our win last year. Wanted to get more info if there was any. Didn't sound like a big thing. That is one of the things I really really like about CBP is he is an open book.

Still a year or two away from tourney quality. But also years better than we were under previous regimes.

Very well said.

It's so refreshing to see improvements being made and not feeling like I am banging my head against the wall year after year.

Hi all, Xavier fan here. I came over to see what your guys thoughts were before the game, and have been following the post game discussion as well. I actually live in Northern Ky (suburb of Cincinnati). Shaun Alexander's high school is about 5 minutes from my house. As such, I've always had an interest in Auburn and root for them in all sports. I think this Auburn team has promise, but is still a work in progress. I think Pearl has the needle pointing in the right direction and you guys have a lot to be excited about. I wanted to give you guys credit, as it appeared to me (I was at the game) that your guys never quit and played hard till the end. Anyway, I really enjoyed this 2 game series, and would love to see them put together another series in the future. All the best to you guys the rest of the way!

Schickrateez

Anybody got any info on CBP's slight admonishment of the Xavier coach after the game? Apparently CBP thought their bench was trying to show us up a little bit due to our win last year. Wanted to get more info if there was any. Didn't sound like a big thing. That is one of the things I really really like about CBP is he is an open book.

Xavier's bench is pretty animated and excitable. Just the usual stuff you see, nothing like Monmouth's bench (just to be clear). Believe it or not, this Xavier team is still pretty young. I think Pearl took their excitement as trying to rub it in. I didn't get that impression, but obviously people may think I'm biased. I didn't see much bad blood or anything like that out there today. There was 1 little incident, but again it wasn't much. That's my take on it, but obviously Coach Pearl may have more info or be talking about something that I couldn't see.

Hi all, Xavier fan here. I came over to see what your guys thoughts were before the game, and have been following the post game discussion as well. I actually live in Northern Ky (suburb of Cincinnati). Shaun Alexander's high school is about 5 minutes from my house. As such, I've always had an interest in Auburn and root for them in all sports. I think this Auburn team has promise, but is still a work in progress. I think Pearl has the needle pointing in the right direction and you guys have a lot to be excited about. I wanted to give you guys credit, as it appeared to me (I was at the game) that your guys never quit and played hard till the end. Anyway, I really enjoyed this 2 game series, and would love to see them put together another series in the future. All the best to you guys the rest of the way!

Schickrateez

odd mention of that since he has nothing to do with Auburn.

Schickrateez

Alexander went to Alabama, but thanks for stopping by. Your team should go a long way this year. We need to keep folks eligible and healthy and keep learning to play together since we have so many new players. I think Bruce will ultimately get us there.

Schickrateez

Eh, close enough. Xavier doesn't have a football program, so I imagine he's more of an NFL person.

to

Schickrateez

It gave a kid from Northern Kentucky, who is not a fan of UK a reason to watch SEC football. From there, I took a liking to Auburn for a few reasons. Sorry, I should've have elaborated on the story a bit more, but didn't want to get into the weeds too much with it. Looking back on it, I can see why it originally did not make sense at all. Sorry for the confusion.

Schickrateez

Alexander went to Alabama, but thanks for stopping by. Your team should go a long way this year. We need to keep folks eligible and healthy and keep learning to play together since we have so many new players. I think Bruce will ultimately get us there.

I followed up to a different reply. The story was longer, but I didn't want to get too far into it. I'm not, nor have ever been a UK fan (kind of an anomaly in KY). Alexander's career gave me a reason to watch SEC football, and from there I began to like Auburn. I didn't word things right, and didn't want to borel you guys with too much of the background. Now, I realize that it probably would have been easier to type a few more sentences on it. Anyway, sorry for the confusion.

Schickrateez

I followed up to a different reply. The story was longer, but I didn't want to get too far into it. I'm not, nor have ever been a UK fan (kind of an anomaly in KY). Alexander's career gave me a reason to watch SEC football, and from there I began to like Auburn. I didn't word things right, and didn't want to borel you guys with too much of the background. Now, I realize that it probably would have been easier to type a few more sentences on it. Anyway, sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for your insight from an Xavier fan pov. Best of luck in the future

Schickrateez

I agree, hope that the schools can work out another home and home in the future. Thanks for posting and taking the time to be respectful of what Bruce Pearl is attempting to build.

My thought on this is a Coach proving that he will never quit to his players...I think this game has so many teaching experiences to a young and mostly new team to build off of and a trip to Hawaii where they only bond more can be a huge step in the maturation of this roster.

Archived