The challenge ahead for Kevin Steele

StatTiger

I know some people see Bama's program and choose to believe they "developed" talent to get where they are, but it's all about bringing in the talent in the first place. Saban hasn't won without stellar recruiting classes. Bama isn't at the top without getting the best available players out of HS every single year, and it isn't even close. Many of those don't reach their potential either. There are plenty of flame outs there too. They just have so much depth, all you hear is the talk of the ones that do succeed.

Saban didn't "develop" Derrick Henry any more than Pat Dye "developed" Bo Jackson or Dooley "developed" Herschel Walker.

that 2nd year where they lost to Utah, other than Julio they had a bunch of Shula players who sucked under Shula. That was a heck of a job of developing players If you ask me. You dont have to have a team full of 5 stars to win 10 games a year. thats all i ask

They develop their players, they stock pile talent, they teach fundamental football from the ground up. Some folks want to question their process for development, look no further than this season. Their special teams and kicking game improved, their QB improved, they had several freshmen that are top quality starters on O and D now. Their second string subs in and doesn't miss a beat. I see that as a great development program. Getting the 5*s on campus gives then a head start on a lot of programs, but what they are able to mold those guys into after they hit campus is when the cream rises to the top.

As a program, they're impressive. But Reuben Foster would be a star at Auburn now. He's nno the only one.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know some people see Bama's program and choose to believe they "developed" talent to get where they are, but it's all about bringing in the talent in the first place. Saban hasn't won without stellar recruiting classes. Bama isn't at the top without getting the best available players out of HS every single year, and it isn't even close. Many of those don't reach their potential either. There are plenty of flame outs there too. They just have so much depth, all you hear is the talk of the ones that do succeed.

Saban didn't "develop" Derrick Henry any more than Pat Dye "developed" Bo Jackson or Dooley "developed" Herschel Walker.

that 2nd year where they lost to Utah, other than Julio they had a bunch of Shula players who sucked under Shula. That was a heck of a job of developing players If you ask me. You dont have to have a team full of 5 stars to win 10 games a year. thats all i ask

They develop their players, they stock pile talent, they teach fundamental football from the ground up. Some folks want to question their process for development, look no further than this season. Their special teams and kicking game improved, their QB improved, they had several freshmen that are top quality starters on O and D now. Their second string subs in and doesn't miss a beat. I see that as a great development program. Getting the 5*s on campus gives then a head start on a lot of programs, but what they are able to mold those guys into after they hit campus is when the cream rises to the top.

As a program, they're impressive. But Reuben Foster would be a star at Auburn now. He's nno the only one.

Would RF be as effective on our defense as he has been on theirs? He played as a rebel and independently in high school. He was allowed to do that because he was better than anybody on the other side of the ball. His talent alone carried him in high school. He has been molded into a team and scheme player. Would that have happened at Auburn with the staff changes?

Would RF be as effective on our defense as he has been on theirs? He played as a rebel and independently in high school. He was allowed to do that because he was better than anybody on the other side of the ball. His talent alone carried him in high school. He has been molded into a team and scheme player. Would that have happened at Auburn with the staff changes?

I think he'd be more prominent had he chosen Auburn. I could be wrong, of course. My point is that, although what Bama has done as a program is impressive, it doesn't mean that every individual would be better off there.

I think he'd be more prominent had he chosen Auburn. I could be wrong, of course. My point is that, although what Bama has done as a program is impressive, it doesn't mean that every individual would be better off there.

I was just thinking the 5* and 4* LBs we have brought in the past 3-4 have not really set the woods on fire.

I was just thinking the 5* and 4* LBs we have brought in the past 3-4 have not really set the woods on fire.

True, though I have high hopes for Tre.

Not sure whether it's all about developing players or hit and miss, as Mikey might say.

Not disputing that Bama is impressive as a program. Just suggesting that it ddoesn' mean every player would be better off going there.

True. I think that this past year with the staff did a lot to change that. Now it's up to Steele to build on that.

True, though I have high hopes for Tre.

Not sure whether it's all about developing players or hit and miss, as Mikey might say.

Not disputing that Bama is impressive as a program. Just suggesting that it ddoesn' mean every player would be better off going there.

I would never say that a player is better off going there. We just have to do a better job of developing the talent we have. We did make a step in that direction this past season.

Archived