The challenge ahead for Kevin Steele

StatTiger

Hypothetical:

Would you rather have a coach that is a great teacher and developer or a great recruiter.

Don't say both. Choose one or the other

Teacher and developer, hands down.

Agreed. Along with an eye for underreported raw talent. Tubs looked at skinny Dontarrius Thomas and saw a LB. JJ Watt was a 2 star that needed to add muscle to his frame. There are 3 star players that need a year or two in the weight room, but can be all-stars if developed. We've signed highly rated classes that have gone underdeveloped. Doesn't mean I don't want the 4 and 5 stars, but if a coach can show a recruit they put 3 stars in the League, the higher rated players will notice.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are doing a lot of talking about our defense lately. I'm more concerned about the challenge ahead for Malzahn and the offense than I am on anything on the other side of the ball honestly.

The offense will be fine. I'm not worried about that side of the ball. We'll see an offense much closer to what we're used to seeing from Malzahn.

I love your faith in Gus. Mine is being tested a little lately. I really had some problems with Gus' play calling this year. Some of it was plain awful. I do hope you are right though. I like Gus and want to see him win but either SEC DCs have caught up with him or he didn't have the players he needs to make his system work. Beats me which it is but, look at the numbers..offensive production was WAY down across the board this year. If he aint back next year with what you've called " an offense much closer to what we're used to seeing from Malzahn" his seat may begin to warm up a bit at Auburn.

We are doing a lot of talking about our defense lately. I'm more concerned about the challenge ahead for Malzahn and the offense than I am on anything on the other side of the ball honestly.

The offense will be fine. I'm not worried about that side of the ball. We'll see an offense much closer to what we're used to seeing from Malzahn.

I love your faith in Gus. Mine is being tested a little lately. I really had some problems with Gus' play calling this year. Some of it was plain awful. I do hope you are right though. I like Gus and want to see him win but either SEC DCs have caught up with him or he didn't have the players he needs to make his system work. Beats me which it is but, look at the numbers..offensive production was WAY down across the board this year. If he aint back next year with what you've called " an offense much closer to what we're used to seeing from Malzahn" his seat may begin to warm up a bit at Auburn.

Mistakes were made no doubt. I think this year was a big learning experience for Gus. He'll make the necessary corrections.

Mistakes were made no doubt. I think this year was a big learning experience for Gus. He'll make the necessary corrections.

Agreed. He used to keep the same players on the field for different situations which allowed him to run a true HUNH. This year he substituted to get certain people on the field for certain situations. This did two things: it allowed the defense to substitute for the situation and/or to get fresh players on the field; it also set trends for the defenses to know what the play may be based on the offensive personnel on the field. He has to get back to running the true HUNH for his offense to be successful.

Agreed. He used to keep the same players on the field for different situations which allowed him to run a true HUNH. This year he substituted to get certain people on the field for certain situations. This did two things: it allowed the defense to substitute for the situation and/or to get fresh players on the field; it also set trends for the defenses to know what the play may be based on the offensive personnel on the field. He has to get back to running the true HUNH for his offense to be successful.

He kept doing it all year. Inexplicable.

How do you think we, as fans, would react if we started bringing in the 18-25 ranked recruiting class as opposed to a top 10 class

How do you think we,as fans would react if we started bringing in the 18-25 ranked recruiting class?

They'd have something else to complain about.

How do you think we, as fans, would react if we started bringing in the 18-25 ranked recruiting class as opposed to a top 10 class

Many fans would complain. At least until we won a national Championship.

So from what people have said, the majority would be okay to bring in lesser talent and wait 4-5 years to get it developed to championship level before better talent begins to see and join in. Usually meaning 4-6 losses a year for about 2-4 years. Is this correct?

Our fans (especially on the message boards) would absolutely lose their minds. We aren't winning consistently with top 10-15 classes, so what would make us think we could do it with less talent (per the recruiting sites)?

So from what people have said, the majority would be okay to bring in lesser talent and wait 4-5 years to get it developed to championship level before better talent begins to see and join in. Usually meaning 4-6 losses a year for about 2-4 years. Is this correct?

Yep...you've got it.

18-25 would probably be 8th or so in the conference so that would be pretty disappointing. I know some here disagree but I would prefer to have as many highly ranked players on the roster as possible. The very best programs recruit AND develop at a high level. AU seems to be lacking more in the latter.

Agree

I know some people see Bama's program and choose to believe they "developed" talent to get where they are, but it's all about bringing in the talent in the first place. Saban hasn't won without stellar recruiting classes. Bama isn't at the top without getting the best available players out of HS every single year, and it isn't even close. Many of those don't reach their potential either. There are plenty of flame outs there too. They just have so much depth, all you hear is the talk of the ones that do succeed.

Saban didn't "develop" Derrick Henry any more than Pat Dye "developed" Bo Jackson or Dooley "developed" Herschel Walker.

I know some people see Bama's program and choose to believe they "developed" talent to get where they are, but it's all about bringing in the talent in the first place. Saban hasn't won without stellar recruiting classes. Bama isn't at the top without getting the best available players out of HS every single year, and it isn't even close. Many of those don't reach their potential either. There are plenty of flame outs there too. They just have so much depth, all you hear is the talk of the ones that do succeed.

Saban didn't "develop" Derrick Henry any more than Pat Dye "developed" Bo Jackson or Dooley "developed" Herschel Walker.

He has to get back to running the true HUNH for his offense to be successful.

I disagree with this too. The HUNH makes no sense unless you can get first downs consistently. We sure as heck didn't do that well this season. All we did is hurry up into a dive play for no gain. It hurt us way more than it helped.

I disagree with this too. The HUNH makes no sense unless you can get first downs consistently. We sure as heck didn't do that well this season. All we did is hurry up into a dive play for no gain. It hurt us way more than it helped.

We ran a NH this year for the most part. We didn't run a HUNH near as much as we have in the past. Even after first downs, many times he would substitute giving the defense a chance to substitute. I never understood that, this season.

Maybe the majority want to see how that feels as opposed to bringing in elite talent and experiencing 4-6 losses per year. Different means to the same end you know....

It takes talent to be sure but talent like Henry and others just don't come along every day. Even there they have guys that won't ever sniff the NFL but they play crucial roles. You have to teach your linemen what you want done. You have to teach your defensive backs what to do. Someone was talking the other day about his teaching of defensive backs. They may be extremely talented but that only gets you so far.

It takes talent to be sure but talent like Henry and others just don't come along every day. Even there they have guys that won't ever sniff the NFL but they play crucial roles. You have to teach your linemen what you want done. You have to teach your defensive backs what to do. Someone was talking the other day about his teaching of defensive backs. They may be extremely talented but that only gets you so far.

The two years prior he had top notch talent back there too. They under performed pretty severely.

Wait a sec...

Doesn't running the HUNH give you an opportunity to get first downs consistently?!

Plenty of teams do this. We used to.

Wait a sec...

Doesn't running the HUNH give you an opportunity to get first downs consistently?!

Gus has never hurried up until he got that initial first down. We struggled mightily with 3 and outs this season. No consistency in play calling or even general offensive direction. It looked at times like we had no idea what we were doing out there. What part of that does the HUNH help...going 3 and out faster and putting the D back on the field with less rest?

Wait a sec...

Gus has never hurried up until he got that initial first down. We struggled mightily with 3 and outs this season. No consistency in play calling or even general offensive direction. It looked at times like we had no idea what we were doing out there. What part of that does the HUNH help...going 3 and out faster and putting the D back on the field with less rest?

Yep. Playcalling was terrible.

I know that's what people can say but HUNH is supposed to have an advantage, not just on first down.

And another argument would be, going hunh only on first only helps get you to second and long faster.

I would say if it's good positive yardage, there's no reason why we can't keep momentum with the HUNH on first, second, and third down.

:)

Still...seems like once we are "off the script" there does not seem to be a plan that makes sense...too many predictable play calls

Still...seems like once we are "off the script" there does not seem to be a plan that makes sense...too many predictable play calls

if we script the first series or two does this mean we run predetermined plays regardless of how the defense is aligning? Why can't more of the game be scripted?

Archived