The challenge ahead for Kevin Steele

StatTiger

The answer to the hypothetical situation is that you want the teacher/developer. Then you hire a hot shot recruiter to do his recruiting for him.

The reality in the SEC today is that you better be good at both developing and recruiting if you want to be successful. The ones that are best at doing both are the ones that will rise to the top over time.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The answer to the hypothetical situation is that you want the teacher/developer. Then you hire a hot shot recruiter to do his recruiting for him.

The reality in the SEC today is that you better be good at both developing and recruiting if you want to be successful. The ones that are best at doing both are the ones that will rise to the top over time.

BINGO!!!!

Still...seems like once we are "off the script" there does not seem to be a plan that makes sense...too many predictable play calls

if we script the first series or two does this mean we run predetermined plays regardless of how the defense is aligning? Why can't more of the game be scripted?

Lots of coaches start the first series with a set of scripted plays they think will work based off of film study of the opponent. This isn't practical for an entire game. Its a good way to get a bit of a rhythm going or at least attempt to do so. As the game progresses yo see what the other guy is doing and call plays that you think will work. Its a constant chess match with adjustment on both sides

but the question wasn't hypothetical it was which one would you rather have and it was stipulated that you cant say both. Obviously, you are absolutely right but if you can only have one and not both i go with the recruiter because there's just no way to win in the SEC in the absence of talent. Nick Saban gets a lot of accolades as a coach but he brings in the #1 recruiting class ever year, Yareckon that makes coaching em a little easier? I do.

How do you think we, as fans, would react if we started bringing in the 18-25 ranked recruiting class as opposed to a top 10 class

Many fans would complain. At least until we won a national Championship.

When was the last time a team won the NC with recruiting classes ranked 18-25?

but the question wasn't hypothetical it was which one would you rather have and it was stipulated that you cant say both. Obviously, you are absolutely right but if you can only have one and not both i go with the recruiter because there's just no way to win in the SEC in the absence of talent. Nick Saban gets a lot of accolades as a coach but he brings in the #1 recruiting class ever year, Yareckon that makes coaching em a little easier? I do.

A whole team of 5 star players means a lot of egos, big ones at at that. Its no small matter to take a bunch of super talented individuals and make a team out of of them. You can win 9 games a year with that talent. To reach the next level is where coaching comes in to play.

I like to use Phil Jackson as a prime example. His Chicago and LA teams were full of talent and egos. He managed these guys into 11 championships. It's impossible to win at the highest level without both. I guess the question is do you think you can get the the recruiting later if you show you can coach.

Hypothetical:

Would you rather have a coach that is a great teacher and developer or a great recruiter.

Don't say both. Choose one or the other

Why does it have to be either/or? Is that how it is in the real world? Coaches either recruit or develop players, but can't do both?

How do you think we, as fans, would react if we started bringing in the 18-25 ranked recruiting class as opposed to a top 10 class

Many fans would complain. At least until we won a national Championship.

When was the last time a team won the NC with recruiting classes ranked 18-25?

Yep. The old saying its hard to make a silk purse from a sows ear springs immediately to mind. A lot of people think a coach can turn a whole team of SEC rejects into a NC winning juggernaut. I'll believe that when i see it. You have to get the players FIRST.

But Bird said it was hypothetical. I took the meaning of the word "both" to mean, both as in one person and I chose the teacher/developer. I just assumed he wouldn't be the only coach on the staff so I took it a step further and hired a hot shot recruiter to help him. ;D

A whole team of 5 star players means a lot of egos, big ones at at that. Its no small matter to take a bunch of super talented individuals and make a team out of of them. You can win 9 games a year with that talent. To reach the next level is where coaching comes in to play.

I like to use Phil Jackson as a prime example. His Chicago and LA teams were full of talent and egos. He managed these guys into 11 championships. It's impossible to win at the highest level without both. I guess the question is do you think you can get the the recruiting later if you show you can coach.

The obvious question is how much later? These coaches make so much frickin money, patience isn't written into a contract where a guy is being paid $4mil a year and its guaranteed money. And, frankly it shouldn't be. These guys know what they're getting onto. Certain schools have certain expectations and if they're not met they get canned. I dont think any coach in the business says to himself...well, I want to settle for 2nd tier talent so I can prove to people I can coach...then they'll be flocking to my program wanting to play for me.

So for a salary of 1 mill a yr for a coordinator or upwards of 500k for a position coach, hypothetically speaking, they better do both. Otherwise go back to HS or a lower level where you salary all be adjusted accordingly.

So to sum up the thread...the challenge ahead for KS is to either recruit well or coach well (but not both) and to get Gus to run the HUNH? :dunno:

SUvVsaE.gif

THIS!

And once those bastards rise to the top they stay at the top damnit!

So from what people have said, the majority would be okay to bring in lesser talent and wait 4-5 years to get it developed to championship level before better talent begins to see and join in. Usually meaning 4-6 losses a year for about 2-4 years. Is this correct?

Are you talking about building a program from scratch? I would think the highly rated players already on campus would be coached up and placed in situations to be successful. Then the "lesser" talent coming behind the ones who were already on campus matures and fills the void when the ones that were already on campus graduate/leave early, then the future recruiting classes do the same and so on and so on and...

So from what people have said, the majority would be okay to bring in lesser talent and wait 4-5 years to get it developed to championship level before better talent begins to see and join in. Usually meaning 4-6 losses a year for about 2-4 years. Is this correct?

Depends and no not the kind you wear.................

So to sum up the thread...the challenge ahead for KS is to either recruit well or coach well (but not both) and to get Gus to run the HUNH? :dunno:/>

Steele needs to get our DL to stop the run. Period. If he can do that by either recruiting or teaching ... I won't care. AU not stopping the run = 4-4 conference record (or worse.)

So to sum up the thread...the challenge ahead for KS is to either recruit well or coach well (but not both) and to get Gus to run the HUNH? :dunno:/>

Steele needs to get our DL to stop the run. Period. If he can do that by either recruiting or teaching ... I won't care. AU not stopping the run = 4-4 conference record (or worse.)

Amen

Are you talking about building a program from scratch? I would think the highly rated players already on campus would be coached up and placed in situations to be successful. Then the "lesser" talent coming behind the ones who were already on campus matures and fills the void when the ones that were already on campus graduate/leave early, then the future recruiting classes do the same and so on and so on and...

I'm not talking about anything specific, just trying to see what others are wanting in their coaches and what kind of patience they have to reach their expectations.

Hypothetical:

Would you rather have a coach that is a great teacher and developer or a great recruiter.

Don't say both. Choose one or the other

Both...sorry, couldn't help myself.

Do we, as fans, have the patience necessary for a developer to work while waiting for the "stud" recruits everyone wants and expects?

For the majority of fans, no...

Do we, as fans, have the patience necessary for a developer to work while waiting for the "stud" recruits everyone wants and expects?

For the majority of fans, no...

Nope.

I miss Tubs, I don't mind grabbing 3* recruits if they're coachable and have the heart. The return is greater more times than not IMO. Sure 5* recruits have more talent, but they also have more of an ego than most and lack work ethic. As of late our coaching staffs haven't been able to beat that out of those guys, save a few.

Let's not forget that back in Tubbs hay day, he could get away with getting the less talented and making them better...because he didn't have Darth Saban in T-Town. Now, before any of you go off half cocked and say "what about when Darth Saban was at LSwho"...well when he arrived in T-Town (with the help of the REC) he took it to another level..."the Process" that is. Even Tubbs would have flamed out in another year or so under the pressure of playing them with inferior talent, even without Tubb's 2003 baggage. JMO...

I'm not talking about anything specific, just trying to see what others are wanting in their coaches and what kind of patience they have to reach their expectations.

By the end of year 4, the book should be written in terms of how effective you are as a HC. As an assistant coach.2-3 years is enough time to show improvement.

wde

We are doing a lot of talking about our defense lately. I'm more concerned about the challenge ahead for Malzahn and the offense than I am on anything on the other side of the ball honestly.

The offense will be fine. I'm not worried about that side of the ball. We'll see an offense much closer to what we're used to seeing from Malzahn.

This is what I was thinking back in the summer...then we laid an egg at quarterback. If that issue is not straightened out and quickly, we can go ahead and make reservations in Birmingham again...just sayin.

Archived