2017 3* HB Thomas Johnston

au_bsci_04

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Way to go Jeff....thanks for blowing this for us. I bet the NCAA is contacting us right now

Just another reason to blame Jay Jacobs!

You can have phone and text conversation on a limited basis I thought. Just no visits or face to face contact. Couldn't he have offered over the phone? Is using Skype a violation?

How can you offer somebody during a dead period?

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/resources/recruiting-calendars

What is a dead period?

During a dead period a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents, and may not watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools. Coaches may write and telephone student-athletes or their parents during a dead period.

12/14 to 1/13 is a "Dead Period".

Really more like.....comatose instead of dead. ;)

• 10 months later...
38 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

Sorry if this young man's recruitment has been addressed on the forum, but I rarely venture here. Is it a matter of only having room for 2 LB's and we got our 2? Thanks!

He has never been a take for Auburn. There are four to five linebackers at least ahead of him on Auburn's board.

I have to admit I thought he would end up in the O&B. The fact we are passing on this guy speaks volumes to what we have.

I think he was one of only two or three juniors on Super 12 last year. Many thought he was best LB on Spanish Fort team last year. But Threatt is bigger and on Scholarship at AU.  If UAB continues to get outstanding student athletes like Johnston brothers they will be a force to be reckoned with very soon.

1 hour ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

if we get the guys we want, we should still offer him, he is good enough. Now if the only guys we get are CW, TD and KJ why would we not use the 4th LB spot for TJ?.

We are in real good shape to get a 4rh & maybe 5th before we get down to TJ on AU'S board. And we can't offer everybody. Scholarships are much more limited than the old days.

I'm friends with his older brother Tyler, QB at UAB. Thomas is a stud. Most likely will wind up at UAB with his brother. He will shine there. Just set the all time state record in tackles for a high school career. Good kid with a quality family. Him and his brother are simply just winners. 

9 hours ago, WarEagle2423 said:

I'm friends with his older brother Tyler, QB at UAB. Thomas is a stud. Most likely will wind up at UAB with his brother. He will shine there. Just set the all time state record in tackles for a high school career. Good kid with a quality family. Him and his brother are simply just winners. 

Good. Would be glad to see UAB get some high quality players to begin again.

There was another UAB LB that we weren't interested in Ganus was his name who put a whipping on us last year in UGA game.  I would not want a game with UAB in a couple of years.

• 1 month later...

Something to keep an eye on here. A 247 poster asked this

If Auburn misses on Rice do you feel like a fall back guy might be Thomas Johnston from Spanish Fort? I know the Taylor kid from GA could be a swing guy LB/DE as previously discussed. The Johnston kid is a tackling machine as was shown in the all star game today.

Keith replied with this

That would be a possibility IMO, yes. Not my opinion -- that is based on some things I've heard.

TJ was the MVP yesterday in the Al-Miss High School All Star game.

Archived