2017 3* HB Thomas Johnston

au_bsci_04

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, tombigbeetiger said:

this staff continues to amaze me....i hope this kid makes all-american and makes a hard tackle on the sideline and knocks doublebubble on his inept ass.....this kid is a football player from the old school....this will come back on whirlybird IF he is still here after next year...simply amazing

For the millionth time Gus has absolutely no input on this. This is all on Steele & T-Will to not take him nor see him as a LB. This is solely their choice. If you want to be mad at someone rightfully direct it to them. Gus gives no input as to who we offer or don't offer at LB. Feel free to criticize Gus on things he is responsible for which is a lot but no reason to whale on him for something that he puts no input in.

5 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

If we regret it it will feel like a loss.

Won't know that for a couple years at least so not a loss yet.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

For the millionth time Gus has absolutely no input on this. This is all on Steele & T-Will to not take him or see him as a LB. This is solely their choice. If you want to be mad at someone rightfully direct it to them. Gus gives no input as to who we offer or don't offer at LB. Feel free to criticize Gus on things he is responsible for which is a lot but no reason to whale on him for something that he puts no input in.

he is the damn head football coach and he has no input?....if he is the head football coach and has no input on recruiting, then he needs to be fired right now....you're ridiculous to use this defense

2 minutes ago, tombigbeetiger said:

he is the damn head football coach and he has no input?....if he is the head football coach and has no input on recruiting, then he needs to be fired right now....you're ridiculous to use this defense

Why would Gus WANT to give input on a defensive player Steele and his defensive staff either want or not? Gus' strength would never be on defensive players so why should it do now? E is right. If Steele says they don't need him why would Gus tell him he is wrong..lol

13 minutes ago, tombigbeetiger said:

I'm just telling you the truth. He is an offensive coach. He is and always has given his DC & defensive staff total autonomy on who to offer & not offer. The only thing he works with the D staff with as it pertains to defensive personnel recruiting besides communicating with the targets is negotiating how many players to sign at each position for each class because there is a balancing act there with O & D.

Further that's not a Gus only thing. Most HCs give a lot to total autonomy to the coordinator on the opposite side of the ball the HC has his experience in as for who to offer & not offer. It's basically "Who do you want?..Alright. Let's go get them."

You may not like it one bit but that's how it's often done my friend.

4 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Making a mental note...

No worries. If I'm wrong & remember I will call myself on it. I've done it numerous times before.

This pisses me off. He'll go beast mode at OM or wherever he lands and will make All-SEC or better at LB by the time he's an upper classman. We'll very possibly be on a completely different coaching staff by that time, and our then-staff will be shaking their heads at Gus's staff offering only as an "H-back." Mark my words. 

Older hands than I used to talk about Lee Roy Jordan begging Auburn for a chance to play here but we turned him down. Tuskaloser gave him the scholarship he needed and all those All-America awards, national championship and NFL rings are just history now. Sadly, they are not in Auburn's history. This kid's situation reminds me a lot of the Lee Roy Jordan stories.

15 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

There is a ton of stuff to be upset about with AU football. This LBer class isn't one of those things. TJ is a great talent but the LBer AU has committed in this class are elite. 

Signing Johnston at LB would give us six in two years, assuming Taylor does sign with AU and everybody else sticks. Six over a two-year period is adequate but it wouldn't be too many. I see blowing Johnston off as a serious mistake. Now, about that "no room".... It's looking more and more like we won't be able to fill all of our annual slots and the 85 limit isn't a problem either. There's room enough, maybe we don't want to use it on Johnston but that's a decision i don't understand.

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

Signing Johnston at LB would give us six in two years, assuming Taylor does sign with AU and everybody else sticks. Six over a two-year period is adequate but it wouldn't be too many. I see blowing Johnston off as a serious mistake. Now, about that "no room".... It's looking more and more like we won't be able to fill all of our annual slots and the 85 limit isn't a problem either. There's room enough, maybe we don't want to use it on Johnston but that's a decision i don't understand.

I agree with you, Mikey. I don't think you can evereach have enough good linebackers. I also agree with those who feel passing on Johnston, especially if he proves to later be a thorn in our a$$. I really hope this means we land Taylor.

Kid getting some crystal balls to UAB today. Guess he wants to go play with his brother over sec schools which I get.

I usu. enjoy listening to the dudes on the jox roundtable show carry on about whatever (with the exception of the 60% sports gambling content of the show), but they really showed their ignorant butts this morning. They dropped this "bombshell" announcement that "3- or 4-STAR SPANISH FORT LINEBACKER CHOOSES U. A. B. OVER ARKANSAS. AND AUBURN." Morons. Conveniently failed to mention that he would've committed to the Tigers in a heartbeat had a LB offer been on the table. Can someone say "responsible reporting?"

People losing their minds over a kid that is going to UAB.  The selection bias here is ridiculous: you only tend to remember the handful of players who we legitimately regret passing up, but nobody remembers the dozens more who we turn down and never regret because they ultimately prove to be non-SEC caliber players. 

31 minutes ago, metafour said:

People losing their minds over a kid that is going to UAB.  The selection bias here is ridiculous: you only tend to remember the handful of players who we legitimately regret passing up, but nobody remembers the dozens more who we turn down and never regret because they ultimately prove to be non-SEC caliber players. 

Or the equivalent number of guys who weren't really on the radar until we signed them. The number is pretty low in both cases, but folks love to mistake the notable exceptions to the rule for the rule itself. 

Archived