2017 3* HB Thomas Johnston

au_bsci_04

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I am confused up to a few days ago I thought we wanted Taylor or Rice badly now I am hearing we didn't really want either. Is that just sour grapes or did things come up that made us change our minds.

Also if that is the case why not take Johnston I have watched his film he is to quote another poster a tackling machine.  He has good size and speed for a linebacker also and great instincts.

AU wants Taylor. Taylor is and has been a huge priority.  

8 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

AU wants Taylor. Taylor is and has been a huge priority.  

Keith isn't so sure. Hope you are right.

Since UGA missed on Rice I'm sure they are making a strong push for Taylor (as much as they can do during dead time). I find it surprising that Taylor is thought to be a lean to Good Guys as many of Insiders think.  Hope they are right.  We need a quick committment.

14 minutes ago, autan said:

Since UGA missed on Rice I'm sure they are making a strong push for Taylor (as much as they can do during dead time). I find it surprising that Taylor is thought to be a lean to Good Guys as many of Insiders think.  Hope they are right.  We need a quick committment.

Supposedly not. Seems to be between us & Oklahoma per UGA people.

Interesting!  At one time it was thought that Rice and Taylor were AU/UGA with Auburn getting the one that didn't commit to Georgia. Most of us were OK with that. I feel better about competing with Sooners than 'Dogs for a Georgia boy.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Supposedly not. Seems to be between us & Oklahoma per UGA people.

Need to win that Sugar Bowl then...

4 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Is this the Thomas Johnston or Tyler Taylor thread? this page is all about Taylor. Does not not have his own thread?

Yes but either one could end up as a LB in the class as in Taylor could affect TJ so they are close enough to have let the conversation flow.

Tough choice here. We certainly need to sign TT if we can. He has tremendous upside.  But I hope there is some way to get TJ in this class. MVP in All-Star game and all-time leading tackler in AL HS football and for one of the top programs. I know Johnston has his doubters, but IMO he would be a steal. Also I wonder if Moultry might grow into the replacement for CL at rush end.  I know some tried to run me out of town when I kept saying Cassinova should be a DE when we signed him.

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I really like TT and TJ. 

I would like to take both if possible. 

We have very little depth at the HB spot. So TJ's versatility would be very helpful. 

Also, I would love to hear @Mikey say we have too many LBs. Lol. 

:) Signing just four this year won't do it! Not counting the grad transfer we signed one last year (Thweatt). If we sign four this year that's five over a two-year period, barely enough to keep stocked.

2015 was a good year for signing LB's with 5. Had we followed up with three+ in '16 we would be on the way to recovery from the years of neglect, but alas....

38 minutes ago, Mikey said:

:) Signing just four this year won't do it! Not counting the grad transfer we signed one last year (Thweatt). If we sign four this year that's five over a two-year period, barely enough to keep stocked.

2015 was a good year for signing LB's with 5. Had we followed up with three+ in '16 we would be on the way to recovery from the years of neglect, but alas....

Well if T-Will can develop guys like he did this year then we may not need to sign so many. I remember part of your point is getting a certain number because at least half don't develop. I'm sorry if I'm mistaken on that.

I am in the camp of I would like to see 2 more LB's this year especially since one may end up with hand in the Ground and become a buck DE

11 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I am in the camp of I would like to see 2 more LB's this year especially since one may end up with hand in the Ground and become a buck DE

Anf that guy would be the Buck DE in the class.

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Anf that guy would be the Buck DE in the class.

I am not saying any will become a Buck but there has been talk of TD Moultry putting his hand on the ground and rushing the QB that is same thing that happened with McKinzie. He has the frame for it and will be good wherever he plays but he has the skill to be the hybrid type player. Holland was originally a LB also.

3 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I am not saying any will become a Buck but there has been talk of TD Moultry putting his hand on the ground and rushing the QB that is same thing that happened with McKinzie. He has the frame for it and will be good wherever he plays but he has the skill to be the hybrid type player. Holland was originally a LB also.

Same talk with Taylor too.

I'm with Mikey we need to sign more LB'ers,if there is a position on the team that I would over sign every year it would be LB'er,they can be used for so many different positions some will grow into D-ends and you need these type players for special teams.Look at the turds every year they sign a big group of LB's and we all wonder why those kids sign with them because they have so many and it seems to be working for them.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Well if T-Will can develop guys like he did this year then we may not need to sign so many. I remember part of your point is getting a certain number because at least half don't develop. I'm sorry if I'm mistaken on that.

That's right about a high "disappointment rate" for linebackers. So far we only have the one class (2015) to go by, Four of the five are still around and kicking, but that's too small a sample to know if it's a trend or just an odd year.

5 hours ago, AUTigers910 said:

I believe Taylor is being recruited for the buck if we miss out on Bryant

Jarez Parks was if we missed on Bryant. TT is recruited as a LB.

Just now, AUTigers910 said:

Jarez Parks isn't much of an option for us now 

I know. I'm saying Taylor can move to Buck but not really recruited for it at the moment.

31 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I know. I'm saying Taylor can move to Buck but not really recruited for it at the moment.

Gotcha. I agree as of now he is being recredited as a LB, but a miss on Bryant and I think he is the next attainable recruit for the buck.

Archived