Auburn's stretch play

StatTiger

One of the new wrinkles for the Birmingham Bowl was the stretch play Auburn had not shown very much this season. Auburn ran this frequently under Tommy Tuberville with Rudi Johnson as the RB. It is a great running play, especially with a RB with great vision. Auburn ran the play with Peyton Barber and Jovon Robinson but Robinson was far more effective running the play. I was told Coach J.B. Grimes has been pushing to run this play.

The play...

Mem%20-%20Stretch%20Play_zpsndjm37ms.jpg

On this play Auburn faces a 2nd & 4 from their own 26-yard line. Auburn will run the stretch play to the left with Jovon Robinson. At the snap, the offensive front slides left as well as the QB and RB. After taking the hand off, Robinson can now survey his running lanes in front of him or cut back against the flow. On this play, Robinson cuts back to a wide open back side and for a 20-yard gain and an Auburn first down.

End Zone View...

Mem%20-%20Stretch%202_zps7nov5gdh.jpg

Seeing the same play from the end zone makes one appreciate the design and execution of the play. The flow of the play dictates the defensive front's movement, which makes blocking easier for the Auburn OL. One of Jovon Robinson's best attributes is his vision and cutting ability. This is the perfect play to exploit these abilities.

This season Peyton Barber had 237 carries. He produced 21 runs of 10-yards or more and 3 plays of 20-yards or more. Jovon Robinson had 117 carries, producing 17 plays of 10-yards or more and 6 plays of 20-yards or more. During the last 6 games of the season, Auburn averaged 1-yard more per carry with Robinson as the primary rusher than they did during the first 7 games of the season.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would like to see Roc run this play as well. A cut back and he could hit a home run.

Looking forward to this more next year

Mr. (stereo) Stat, sir -

That 2-angle view was hugely informative for me.

Great teaching tool.

Many Thanks!

The stretch play was is a Peyton Manning staple for years and I never really understood the theory of it...thanks for the explanation.

Mr. (stereo) Stat, sir -

That 2-angle view was hugely informative for me.

Great teaching tool.

Many Thanks!

This. Stat, how are you able to get the multiple camera angles? Do you borrow the game film? I think it proves you are really Gus.

Robinson has great vision and cut back ability we need to take advantage of that next year. I hope he can stay healthy the whole year he looks like he could be a 1500 yard back for us.

since it was a nice play that worked, thats probably going to be the last time we see it

Seriously, just stop. Your poor mouthing about everything AU is beyond tiresome. You post your incessant whining and negativity everywhere. Please just go away or at least until you have your sugery.

I'm waiting for a bootleg pass the opposite direction.

That requires a strong arm. SW doesn't have the arm strength and JJ hasn't been able to be accurate.

okay, stop regurgitating the same BS about arm strength. Go do some research about SW and you will see that many coaches and scouts say that his arm strength is one of his assets. While not as strong as JJ's it is still very good. The weak arm talking point was spewed across the board by others that were trying to discredit SW's ability. Quit perpetuating it. Its not true.

That requires a strong arm. SW doesn't have the arm strength and JJ hasn't been able to be accurate.

okay, stop regurgitating the same BS about arm strength. Go do some research about SW and you will see that many coaches and scouts say that his arm strength is one of his assets. The weak arm talking point was spewed across the board by others that were trying to discredit SW's ability. Quit perpetuating it. Its not true.

Well then how come some of his balls float?

okay, stop regurgitating the same BS about arm strength. Go do some research about SW and you will see that many coaches and scouts say that his arm strength is one of his assets. The weak arm talking point was spewed across the board by others that were trying to discredit SW's ability. Quit perpetuating it. Its not true.

I agree. SW has plenty of arm strength and had he not gotten injured would have made a big difference for Auburn this year. I look forward to seeing him progress because Ive always said...I think that kid can play the position!

Well then how come some of his balls float?

Float and arm strength are not necessarily connected. Sometimes its balance, sometimes its because of poor mechanics caused by pass rush, sometimes the ball slips in the QBs hands. There are any number of reasons a pass might float..sometimes its into the wind. A QB doesn't need superior arm strength to throw a boot leg pass...he just doesn't!

I've watched him and we'll just have to disagree on this.

A'ight den. Ive watched him too and isn't it interesting that you see one thing and I see another? If he doesn't have the ability I doubt he wins the job next season but going back to a bootleg pass..you really think that takes special arm strength?

I've watched him and we'll just have to disagree on this.

A'ight den. Ive watched him too and isn't it interesting that you see one thing and I see another? If he doesn't have the ability I doubt he wins the job next season but going back to a bootleg pass..you really think that takes special arm strength?

If you're throwing back the opposite way, which was what was the original thought was, yes it does.

Archived