Auburn's stretch play

StatTiger

I've watched him and we'll just have to disagree on this.

A'ight den. Ive watched him too and isn't it interesting that you see one thing and I see another? If he doesn't have the ability I doubt he wins the job next season but going back to a bootleg pass..you really think that takes special arm strength?

If you're throwing back the opposite way, which was what was the original thought was, yes it does.

Not really especially when you consider that the overwhelming majority of boot leg passes are short throws. Rare to see a long bootleg pass across the body anyway unless the play has broken down.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A'ight den. Ive watched him too and isn't it interesting that you see one thing and I see another? If he doesn't have the ability I doubt he wins the job next season but going back to a bootleg pass..you really think that takes special arm strength?

If you're throwing back the opposite way, which was what was the original thought was, yes it does.

Not really especially when you consider that the overwhelming majority of boot leg passes are short throws. Rare to see a long bootleg pass across the body anyway unless the play has broken down.

So a throw from one side to other doesn't require much arm strength. Interesting concept.

So a throw from one side to other doesn't require much arm strength. Interesting concept.

it does but thats not the design of a bootleg pass. Besides, when SW has the time to set his feet and execute the proper mechanics his arm strength is not below average. Now if you're saying that a QB running past the left hash mark is making a throw all the way over to the right hash mark that's the fastest way I know of to get benched anyway....not a smart decision in the 1st place.

Here is one of White's floater footballs that was caught but could've easily been intercepted, floated or not. Go to 26 second mark

Here is one of White's floater footballs that was caught but could've easily been intercepted. Go to 26 second mark

Yeah, that was not one of his better throws. My guess is he just didn't put enough on it. Look at some throws he made n the Arkansas game. He can make most of 'em. Hell, Ive even seen Cam Newton float a ball or two and I dont think anybody has ever questioned his arm strength.

Here is one of White's floater footballs that was caught but could've easily been intercepted. Go to 26 second mark

Don't you know Jeff. He's Elway, Montana, Brady and Unitas all rolled into one.

If the stretch is to the left, then the boot would be back to the right. With usually a flat by the back, a drag by the TE and a go with #1. None of this require a throw across ones body. And typically don't require a rocket of an arm.

Thats good stuff bro. He's a freshman QB that you and many like you have already concluded he cant play the position in a way that suits you. Thats fine. We'll see who ends up being the QB @ AU next year. Dont be shocked if its him, thats all I can tell ya.

No one has said that. Way to Jump to the extremes. That usually indicates a lack in solid info.

All I can remember about that play is that the wide receiver did not block worth a darn.We've been missing that for years. I hope those guys do a lot of hard work in the offseason!!!WDE

Here is one of White's floater footballs that was caught but could've easily been intercepted, floated or not. Go to 26 second mark

to me, it appears that he saw a defender in between he and the receiver and lobbed the ball over him. Yes, it should've been picked, but not because the ball floated. If thrown a bit longer it would've been perfect, as is it was good enough.

Many crown Jason Campbell as one of the best QBs ever at AU. How'd he look his first 3 years?

apparently, people discount other players progression over the years and formulate opinions that they're stuck trying to defend for the rest of any given kid's career. My opinion is, Im open to seeing what that kid can do. I believe he has the knack to play the position. If he cant win the job next year so bit but I am not going to discount his chances in the future. I like the way he plays and am not at all convince he lacks the arm strength needed to play at a high level.

I tend to take the same stance. I don't care who wins it as long as they do outright. I just have issues with people making up things to discredit the others. To me there are issues with all our QBs. However, to me SW seems to have the more fixable kind. I think that we should all hold our opinions and options until the off season is over.

to me, it appears that he saw a defender in between he and the receiver and lobbed the ball over him. Yes, it should've been picked, but not because the ball floated. If thrown a bit longer it would've been perfect, as is it was good enough.

I don't know obviously that play stuck out to me because of the way the ball hung in the air. And I remember Chris Todd was a master of dropping them from the sky. If Sean was intentionally able to do that, that is awesome. He can probably drop a football into a trash can thirty yards away.

Some QBs certainly seem to have that ability to just drop them in a bucket, but I'm not sure we have one.

Great timing Stat! I mentioned this play in the Memphis post game thread and had been meaning to ask someone with more football knowledge to talk about it. Well done! I really like this play to add variety to the run game.

it does but thats not the design of a bootleg pass. Besides, when SW has the time to set his feet and execute the proper mechanics his arm strength is not below average. Now if you're saying that a QB running past the left hash mark is making a throw all the way over to the right hash mark that's the fastest way I know of to get benched anyway....not a smart decision in the 1st place.

Talkin' sense. That's a paddlin'.

Have been hoping that AU line up in the pistol and run different plays. Would also like to see more tight end sets and play action passes to them. Something that has been missing for years. Arkansas runs some of the most basic plays you will see, and the tight ends are wide open.

Danny Wuerffel could not break a cracked window pane with his throws. He turned out okay.

Arm strength is a luxury, not a necessity.

depends on what you're trying to do. People get too sensitive about things. All I'm saying is that there are certain things that require good arm strength. I am of the opinion that those things should not be attempted by White. That doesn't mean he can't be a very good quarterback.

Sean's arm strength is fine. above average at least. when he did get in somewhat of a rhythm he was growing. injury set him back. he might not be the starter next year but he has 3 full years left. we will see him again.

Jeff, in reference to that ball White threw at the 26 sec mark, if I'm not mistaken, that ball looks like the DT got a hand on it. Can't tell for sure but that ball looks like it was touched at the line.

Jeff, in reference to that ball White threw at the 26 sec mark, if I'm not mistaken, that ball looks like the DT got a hand on it. Can't tell for sure but that ball looks like it was touched at the line.

Maybe so. The spiral seems too tight and I don't see a ricochet or a deflection but the defender may have grazed the ball by the smallest of margins who knows. We got lucky that play.

Archived