Chandler Cox spotlight

StatTiger

One of the growing pains the Auburn offense had to work through this season was the lack of experience at the TE-FB (H-Back) position. Chandler Cox and Kamryn Pettway played extensively this season and the future is bright for both FBs. Though they both struggled at times - adjusting to the speed and physicality of the collegiate game was something they would have to work through - there were plenty of moments both shined on the field. To their credit, the intensity and drive factor was always there and will pay off down the road.

The play...

Mem%20-%20TD%20Screen_zpsvayl0eff.jpg

On this play Auburn has the ball 1st & 10 at the Memphis 11-yard line. Auburn calls a WR-screen to Jason Smith with Chandler Cox lined up wide to block. At the snap, Smith takes one step back as Jeremy Johnson immediately delivers the screen pass to Jason Smith. After hauling in the pass, Smith allows Chandler Cox and Melvin Ray to engage their defenders.

Chandler Cox wipes out the CB as Melvin Ray seals the OLB, giving Smith an alley to the end zone. The safety comes in late and Smith drags him into the end zone. This was the same safety that was booted off the team after the game concluded for stealing a football. With a full season under their belts, Cox and Pettway should be valuable components for the 2016 Auburn offense.

as he gains more experience he is going to become a lethal part of the offense.....kid was only a freshman mixing it up with the big uglies

Pettway was a monster too for a RS freshman.

There were times that they missed blocks that caused us to not get first downs but I am happy with their development as they seemed to get better each game. Their experience this year can only help going forward. I am a fan of both and have liked how they are developing. Big fan of the FB as they don't get much credit but do a ton of work on the offense by blocking and opening up the holes for the other skilled players.

HB may be the most overlooked position in the game. Having more experienced HBs and TEs the next few years might make our QBs look better.

Finally saw the playback on youtube of the game. That block by Cox was one of the highlights of the season. I assume we will lose one or two of the underclassmen to the draft but hard not to see a lot of talent returning from that team. Guys like Kerryon Johnson and Carlton Davis sure did not play like true freshmen. It was a long, hard year but no reason to think Auburn can't pull an Auburn and be back in contention next year when no one will be looking for us.

It's going to be a really interesting off-season for our offensive staff. We have a LOT of non-traditional pieces on offense. They have a chance to either be really creative and fit those pieces together in a way that gives us unique personnel groupings, or not. Right now, the Pats are the best at fitting the jigsaw together in non-traditional ways (see: sets with Scott Chandler in-line at TE, Dion Lewis at "RB" but split into the slot, Gronk at "TE" split wide, and Edelman/Amendola interchangeable on the other side of the formation).

I'd LOVE to see us start showing some non-traditional personnel. Play Cox and Pettway together, with both as blocking/receiving options. Play one with Robinson AND Barber with Barber as another blocking option. Play Roc and Kerryon at the same time with both as RB/Slot options. Play those guys with Jason Smith with three slash players. We have multi-skilled guys available. The offense takes off if we figure out a way to be multiple without substitutions, and you do that by running plays that use all aspects of a player's skill set. This was a brutal year from a personnel standpoint, but we have a chance to be the most interesting offense in the SEC again. As always, I'm optimistic until I see otherwise!

I believe some of the recruiting film on Cox showed him taking snaps out of wildcat in high school and also throwing some passes from that formation. Would not be surprised to see some special play design to feature these talents at some point in the future. He also has receiver skills.

I believe some of the recruiting film on Cox showed him taking snaps out of wildcat in high school and also throwing some passes from that formation. Would not be surprised to see some special play design to feature these talents at some point in the future. He also has receiver skills.

This is true but I highly doubt you see CC in the wildcat but you never know. He is a much better receiver then people give credit

It's going to be a really interesting off-season for our offensive staff. We have a LOT of non-traditional pieces on offense. They have a chance to either be really creative and fit those pieces together in a way that gives us unique personnel groupings, or not. Right now, the Pats are the best at fitting the jigsaw together in non-traditional ways (see: sets with Scott Chandler in-line at TE, Dion Lewis at "RB" but split into the slot, Gronk at "TE" split wide, and Edelman/Amendola interchangeable on the other side of the formation).

I'd LOVE to see us start showing some non-traditional personnel. Play Cox and Pettway together, with both as blocking/receiving options. Play one with Robinson AND Barber with Barber as another blocking option. Play Roc and Kerryon at the same time with both as RB/Slot options. Play those guys with Jason Smith with three slash players. We have multi-skilled guys available. The offense takes off if we figure out a way to be multiple without substitutions, and you do that by running plays that use all aspects of a player's skill set. This was a brutal year from a personnel standpoint, but we have a chance to be the most interesting offense in the SEC again. As always, I'm optimistic until I see otherwise!

Kiffin does a good job with this as well - pains for me to say it tho

Loved Cox on this highlighted play - almost Prosh-like the way he trucked the CB.

as he gains more experience he is going to become a lethal part of the offense.....kid was only a freshman mixing it up with the big uglies

Pettway was a monster too for a RS freshman.

About a play or two before this one, Pettway blew up a DB.

Pettway seems a little stronger and Cox a little more athletic but they can both get the job done. FB only plays about half Offensive snaps and they sort of split that half. If Rice isn't ready this fall I wonder if CC could play the receiving TE while Kamron is at FB/H-Back to get them a few more snaps. Personally I would like to see FB get 3 or 4 carries a game to give defense something to think about, but never going to happen with Gus.

We have Harris, Hall, Laye, and Carney to go along with the incoming Rice. Are we gonna at least try and use a TE this season? I do miss that aspect of our offense.

Really shows this year how much offensive firepower we've lost by not having a Lutz/Uzomah caliber TE and a Prosch caliber H-backs. We'll return to form next year. And we could be dangerous in 2017

Archived