Offensive Impact Plays

StatTiger

• The 2015 Auburn offense averaged 6.2 impact plays per game or plays of 15-yards or more. This was the 5th lowest average among the last 24 Auburn offenses from 1992-2015.

• The 2015 Auburn offense averaged an impact play every 11.2 snaps the 6th lowest ratio from 1992-2015.

• Impact plays from 1992-2015 accounted for only 11.2 percent of all offensive snaps but translated to 51.5 percent of the total yardage gained.

• During Gus Malzahn's 135-game collegiate career, an impact play has been worth 3.8 points per play, revealing how important explosive plays have become.

• The 2015 Auburn offense lost its explosive identity this season, Of their 39 offensive touchdowns scored this season, only 17.9 percent came outside the red zone the 42nd worst percentage among the last 46 Auburn offenses from 1970-2015.

• From 1992-2015, nearly 2/3 of the impact plays generated on offense have come via the passing game. This became problematic for the Auburn offense when the WR's contribution to impact plays dropped nearly 48 percent from 2014 to 2015.

• Ricardo Louis was responsible for the most impact plays this season (18). He along with Duke Williams and Melvin Ray will be gone next year, responsible for 1/3 of Auburn's impact plays this past season. Who will replace them in 2016?

The top returning impact players from 2015 will be...

Peyton Barber (RB) ................... 13

Roc Thomas (RB) ...................... 12

Jovon Robinson (RB) ................. 8

Kerryon Johnson (RB) ................ 4

Jason Smith (WR) ....................... 4

Four of the top-5 returning play-makers are at the RB position, which isn't a good sign for the pass-offense. Jason Smith has the highest number of impact plays at WR, which means Auburn will need several receivers to step up in 2016 for the offense to be explosive. Though Marcus Davis was the 2nd leading receiver on the team, he only accounted for 3 impact plays in 2015. He could have a Quan Bray type of senior year, when Bray caught 39 passes his senior year of which 12 were impact plays. These are decent numbers for the perimeter game but Auburn needs WR's that will stretch the field vertically.

Tony Stevens was the 3rd most targeted player in the passing game (27) during the last 8 games of the season. If he can improve upon his route running and consistency factor, Stevens could be one of the receivers who steps up in 2016. It probably won't happen but moving Roc Thomas to a WR position (slot) would be rewarding for the offense as well as his professional career. Thomas could still be utilized in the perimeter running game and would be extremely dangerous matched up against linebackers and safeties in the passing game. He is such an explosive player and it would keep him on the field more frequently. Creating a "Percy Harvin" type of role for Roc Thomas would add much needed punch to a stagnant offense. Jovon Robinson will likely be the primary rusher in 2016, followed by Peyton Barber and Kerryon Johnson. It will be interesting to see how much more Kerryon Johnson develops over the off-season. He was more of a role player as a true freshman but will have his sights set on being the primary rusher in 2016.

I realize there are some options (recruits) not on campus as of yet and some of them will likely find substantial playing time in 2016. For now, I don't want to make any grand assumptions or predictions on any player who hasn't suited up on the Plains. If Gus Malzahn should find a more mobile option at the quarterback position, it increases the chances of maximizing the offensive potential for 2016. This of course can only happen if the quarterback is a consistent performer in the passing game too. If Gus Malzahn elects to stick with a more pass-oriented QB, it places even more responsibility at the WR position and the need to find immediate improvement during spring and fall camps.

The fact that roc is second to barber only trailing by one and he hardly gets to play stands out more than anything to be

Thank you. I hope you noticed I was lamenting our impact play woes just this past week.

JJ had our longest rush this year. WTF. And only four passes went for over 50 yards; one being Smith's tip drill catch against Bama and another to Roc for 51 against JSU.

We desperately need a WR that can stretch the field and I doubt he is on campus yet. I'm pulling for Stevens to take the next step but so far it is taking him a while for the light to turn on.

Also, what qualifies as an impact play?

• The 2015 Auburn offense averaged 6.2 impact plays per game or plays of 15-yards or more. This was the 5th lowest average among the last 24 Auburn offenses from 1992-2015.

The fact that roc is second to barber only trailing by one and he hardly gets to play stands out more than anything to be

Totally agree, cole. It's crazy we can't find more ways to get Roc the, uhm, rock. I like the idea of bringing him in as slot receiver sometimes; but even more, I like the idea of having more than one back in the backfield at the same time. We did that some a couple of years ago, to good effect, and it would seem like it would be a good idea to do it more.

Also, what qualifies as an impact play?

I must've looked over that. 15 is a small number for a receiver. Maybe not for a running back. Why 15?

It would be nice to get the HB's/TE's and RB's more involved in the passing game.

We might get the HB's and TE's in the passing attack if they were ready for that. Jalen Harris rarely played at all. Chris Laye didn't that I remember. Hopefully Landon Rice helps change that. Seems like we threw one pass to Chandler Cox and he had stone hands. Of course, so did many of our WRs.

It would be nice to get the HB's/TE's and RB's more involved in the passing game.

We might get the HB's and TE's in the passing attack if they were ready for that. Jalen Harris rarely played at all. Chris Laye didn't that I remember. Hopefully Landon Rice helps change that. Seems like we threw one pass to Chandler Cox and he had stone hands. Of course, so did many of our WRs.

I thought Harris redshirted.

Archived