Spotlight on Jeremy Johnson

StatTiger

JMO....if we have to start the season with a "scaled back" offense against Clemson, it's a sure bet we will be 0-1 after that game.

Who said to start season with a scaled back offense, I know I did not. In fact I made multiple references Auburn should not.

referring to post #6....sorry....should have included the reference.... And I agree with you 100% ...and bothers me when Gus seems to do this but maybe I'm misinterpreting his calls or what he feels he has to work with.

Gotcha. I would like to see Gus define his base offense and recruit for it moving forward.

at one time the idea that Gus would look at his talent and build his offense around it felt awesome... now it feels like the offense has no specific direction or vision of where it is headed and there are talented offensive players not being fully incorporated consistently... I like the idea of picking an offense and recruiting for that offense

I hope Gus has figured this out.He needs to decide what offense he wants to run and recruit players for that O.As for JJ, I hope he gets his degree, because the way he played last season lets face it he is not going to the NFL.

Well, that may be true but his past is not necessarily his destiny. The brains of most men don't really mature until their early-mid 20's. Presumably - considering his physical attributes - his problems are more mental than physical. He's still got time to develop.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's working in his favor is that he now has an entire offseason to learn how to actually read defenses instead of having to learn on the fly, midseason in between game prep

I hate to say but I feel enough time has been dedicated to JJ. Going forward any time utilized developing him further is time taken from the next QB.

This x1000

JJ can't play. Period. That is my opinion.

I hate to say but I feel enough time has been dedicated to JJ. Going forward any time utilized developing him further is time taken from the next QB.

This x1000

He will have certain packages in '16, won't be the starter.

This x1000

Or he'll work with a psychologist in the off season, spend a lot of time with his receivers and studying defensive looks, and shock us all. Only time will tell.

This x1000

Or he'll work with a psychologist in the off season, spend a lot of time with his receivers and studying defensive looks, and shock us all. Only time will tell.

I think a lot of us would agree that our first choice for QB in 2016 would be The Guy Who Jeremy Johnson Was Supposed To Be. Get to shockin', JJ!

This x1000

A quote from my Sis... (who is a psychologist) It will be tough for any psychologist to simulate a SEC defense.

This x1000

A quote from my Sis... (who is a psychologist) It will be tough for any psychologist to simulate a SEC defense.

Ha!

I am not sure what JJ's forty time is. Gus needs to have JJ work to JJ's real end off to get his time no higher than 4.59. If JJ can get his time around 4.55, this would add a whole new dimension to running the offense. This would allow Gus to open up his playbook from the front cover to the last page. SW appears to have a speed for the forty around 4.85 or higher. He needs to get this down to at leas 4.6 or less. If these 2 QBs could get their speed down to a point to where they can run the whole package of the playbook, we could win 10 or more games next season.

If these 2 QBs cannot dramatically reduce the forty time, I think JH-III (I hope I have his initials right), can step in and win the QB job. He should beef up to around 210-215 lbs. and keep his speed under the 4.5 mark, he will be as good if not better than NM.

I am not sure what JJ's forty time is. Gus needs to have JJ work to JJ's real end off to get his time no higher than 4.59. If JJ can get his time around 4.55, this would add a whole new dimension to running the offense. This would allow Gus to open up his playbook from the front cover to the last page. SW appears to have a speed for the forty around 4.85 or higher. He needs to get this down to at leas 4.6 or less. If these 2 QBs could get their speed down to a point to where they can run the whole package of the playbook, we could win 10 or more games next season.

If these 2 QBs cannot dramatically reduce the forty time, I think JH-III (I hope I have his initials right), can step in and win the QB job. He should beef up to around 210-215 lbs. and keep his speed under the 4.5 mark, he will be as good if not better than NM.

His 40 time is the least of the worries with JJ. He'll never be Nick when it comes to running. He is fast enough to do what he has to. He's got a lot of other issues to work on in order to be the starter for next year.

This x1000

Ha!

SPOTLIGHT was a good word for the title... he's had it.

And to want more in the face of his stage freight should be reserved for a place with a far smaller stage.

This x1000

I think a lot of us would agree that our first choice for QB in 2016 would be The Guy Who Jeremy Johnson Was Supposed To Be. Get to shockin', JJ!

as nice as that would be, can you imagine the feelings that would cause from the time he was named the starter till he actually performed like he was supposed to.

This x1000

as nice as that would be, can you imagine the feelings that would cause from the time he was named the starter till he actually performed like he was supposed to.

I guess it's a good thing that the job of the team is to win football games and not make the fans feel comfortable. If Jeremy can perform like he was expected to, this year, I don't care how much anxiety it causes before he hits the field, as long as he does it.

This x1000

I guess it's a good thing that the job of the team is to win football games and not make the fans feel comfortable. If Jeremy can perform like he was expected to, this year, I don't care how much anxiety it causes before he hits the field, as long as he does it.

Sure, I think everyone would agree with that. The problem is two-fold, though. 1) Can JJ perform like he was expected to? 2) Will he even get that chance, given that no one thinks the answer to 1 is 'yes'?

This x1000

I don't think alexeva was saying that the fans' feelings are important, but that there would be feelings nonetheless and it would make gathering spots like this message board even more emotional. I agree with that completely.

The problem with Jeremy winning the QB position is that he has issues when the lights come on and he is the man. So, no matter how good he looks between now and next season, can Gus confidently send him out as the starter against Clemson. I, personally would be happy to see Jeremy become the QB we expected him to be but that would be a tough call in the season opener against the potential #1 team in the country

This x1000

I don't think alexeva was saying that the fans' feelings are important, but that there would be feelings nonetheless and it would make gathering spots like this message board even more emotional. I agree with that completely.

thx

What's working in his favor is that he now has an entire offseason to learn how to actually read defenses instead of having to learn on the fly, midseason in between game prep

JJ didn't have this time last off season??

JJ didn't have this time last off season??

Apparently nobody under the sun even realized he couldn't identify zone coverages

The problem with Jeremy winning the QB position is that he has issues when the lights come on and he is the man. So, no matter how good he looks between now and next season, can Gus confidently send him out as the starter against Clemson. I, personally would be happy to see Jeremy become the QB we expected him to be but that would be a tough call in the season opener against the potential #1 team in the country

One way that would give Gus a better indication would be to take the colored jersey off of JJ (make him live in terms of being hit) every scrimmage and have the D throw the book at him every time there is live action. Put him under real pressure. Based on what I have read, that did not happen last year.

wde

One way that would give Gus a better indication would be to take the colored jersey off of JJ (make him live in terms of being hit) every scrimmage and have the D throw the book at him every time there is live action. Put him under real pressure. Based on what I have read, that did not happen last year.

wde

I doubt that will ever happen but I agree it would probably be beneficial (provided the d doesn't destroy one of our own) especially given that he knows the plays better than other qb's (no baby steps / learning curve w/ the playbook), at least I have to imagine w/ him having been at Au for so long.

Archived